Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

vCash
    Ice Capades of 1982 - Charlie Tickner "My Way": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4B__j3uinI

Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Awww, I was really looking forward to finally seeing Johnson's planned fp to that very different music combination of Nightmare on Elm Street, a melancholy waltz, etc. Did you just delete reference to his last year's program music?
    Yes.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-26-2014 at 08:02 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I didn't realize there was a video attached to the B/D post. There's a small bit of vocals, but at least it's not Sinatra's voice. I couldn't picture Bazarova skating to Sinatra.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    Bazarova/Deputat
    SP: "My Way" (choreo by Maxim Marinin)
    source
    update: better quality
    Thank you! Vera is shining, I've never seen her this expressive and happy before. And that double axel looked better than ever.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Jem X;4282526]
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    From my interview with Jordan Moeller (http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2014...moeller.html):

SP: "Wakare No Kyoku" from a Japanese Anime called "Fullmetal Alchemist" (choreographed by Katherine Hill)

Wakare No Kyoku sounds like Chopin's Tristesse
    It is Chopin's Tristesse. I've never understood why Michiru Oshima, the composer for Fullmetal Alchemist, basically renamed it and put his name on it.

That said, the particular moment where this piece plays in the series makes me cry every time I watch it so I am quite excited to see someone using it in that context

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Ice Capades of 1982 - Charlie Tickner "My Way": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4B__j3uinI
    Ha ha! Everything old is new again. Thanks Sylvia. Both Tickner and Weir very elegant and uniquely interpretive in skating to My Way, and obviously both also very inspired by the lyrics that Frank S sang so well. I wonder if Charlie T's contemporaries were inspired to copy his inspiration as much as Johnny's have been. Mayhap, some 25 years down the road, skating fans will come across a grainy clip of Johnny skating to Ol' Blue Eyes.

Yes.
    Thanks. I asked because I couldn't remember the exact choices of music for the additional selections. I remember being very excited when Alex first announced the plan to combine Nightmare on Elm Street with a dark waltz. But then I never saw what he had actually selected re the waltz (as well as a third choice) until I read your prior unedited post.

vCash
    She is so beautiful! So happy for her! I think I'm going to like them!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I asked because I couldn't remember the exact choices of music for the additional selections. I remember being very excited when Alex first announced the plan to combine Nightmare on Elm Street with a dark waltz. But then I never saw what he had actually selected re the waltz (as well as a third choice) until I read your prior unedited post.
    Alex's planned 2013-14 program music is listed in his Team USA bio (you likely forgot or missed seeing the link posted in last season's U.S. Men's news thread in GSD): http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/pr...xander_johnson
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    Bazarova/Deputat
    SP: "My Way" (choreo by Maxim Marinin)
    source
    update: better quality
    Oh thanks so much for that better quality vid. Unfortunately, the run-off at the mouth introduction is so annoying. I didn't think the guy was ever going to let B/D skate. Reminds me of the incessant chatter of some Russian commentators during the GP events.

Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Johnny Weir did an great exhibition to "My Way;" I think it was in the 05-06 season (seems like I remember seeing it on the final COI tour.)
    Johnny debuted My Way at 2006 U.S. Nationals gala exhibition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09zy3WwWJMI (OMG, the clip is already old and grainy .... )

A better copy from 2006 Olympics exhibition (demonstrating Johnny improvisational bent)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noyoi5HC3-Y

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    I thought the same thing. Why would a Russian pair in their 20s skate to this? Picturing it with the lyrics is especially weird. It seems like something the Protopopovs would skate to, maybe.
    After looking at the B/D version, I think that it is a very romantic melody unaccompanied by the lyrics. And, obviously, they are not using the lyrics.

Any case, as Sylvia so eloquently demonstrated, everything old is new again. I bet B/D would be absolutely over the moon if they were able to even channel the iconic and ageless Protopopovs (who still skate to this day). As is well known, the Protopopovs are "sublime originators" of Russian pairs figure skating, of everything about classic pairs figure skating, of all versions of the death spiral, sans lame catchfoots, etc.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 06-26-2014 at 09:03 PM.

vCash
    Tweeted by @fsonline: https://twitter.com/fsonline/status/482270234557288448
    .@Alex_M_Johnson's NEW programs:
    Rachmaninoff's Trio élégiaque No. 2 (SP by Catarina Lindgren)
    Sondheim's Sweeney Todd (FS by Tom Dickson)
    Johnson will debut his SP on Friday and FS on Saturday at the Broadmoor Open.

vCash
    Thanks again, Sylvia. So, the FS is still somewhat dark and edgy with horror concept (albeit Sweeney Todd has a comic/ macabre twist to it). Wish that Alex might also use something from either of his last season's programs for an exhibition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZgfj1qy6Rk

vCash
    Wow, I've never seen Vera smile so much! She looks thrilled. Her and Deputat look strong for such a new team. I'm liking their look already

vCash
    ^^ Well, she definitely needed a change from her former partner. They were so lackluster together.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    This article is from 2008
    I thought it was new -- it was tweeted this morning
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I thought it was new -- it was tweeted this morning
    Tweeted by who?

ETA:

Found it - by Icenetwork as a "Throwback Thursday" (#tbt) tweet:
    If he'd stuck with soccer, we might be rooting for @Alex_M_Johnson today. web.icenetwork.com/news/article.j… #tbt
    Alex's reply to @icenetwork:
    @icenetwork but you can root for me tomorrow at the Broadmoor Open! First competition in a year and a half!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-26-2014 at 10:53 PM.

vCash
    Tweeted by @fsonline: https://twitter.com/fsonline/status/482270234557288448

Johnson will debut his SP on Friday and FS on Saturday at the Broadmoor Open.
    Sounds great. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Add me to the cheering section that Alex Johnson is back to competition mode. Hope he can stay healthy!

The best thing about the B/D video is that Vera looks not only happy but healthy. She's still tiny, but she doesn't look as scary thin as (I've felt) she's looked in the past. And it's no surprise Vera looks good next to Deputat; when she was with Larionov it looked like a ballerina being pulled around by a tow truck.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
    Thank you! Vera is shining, I've never seen her this expressive and happy before. And that double axel looked better than ever.
    ITA and he is just as cute as can be. I have never really enjoyed Vera's skating, but even though the program was still in the early stages I really enjoyed that. They appear to have a good relationship and their smiles at the end were wonderful.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
    They were double toe loops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    They were double toe loops
    Actually, the double axel comes after the short program. After some more talking from the announcer, they performed snippets of their long program, and they proceeded to do a very impressive side by side double axels.

vCash
    Yuzuru's new sp music is from Chopin;s. Don't know yet which one.

3A in 1st half of program. Quad and combination in 2nd half !

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast