Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Aaaaaaah...... Lovely show! Great on-ice seats with a good bunch of friends.
    The opening number was brilliant! If that doesn't make you so proud to be a Canadian, then what will? The skating was superb throughout, only Osmond had some wobbles. It's stunning to see how rich Canada is in terms of talented skaters. I could ooze for hours on the sheer wonderfulness of Scott and Tessa; they don't just move fluidly, they ARE fluidity! Joannie seems to be able to do anything; I can't think of a female skater recently who has been able to capture my interest so. Jeff's numbers are works of art that should be studied. We loved Du/Rad and were both surprised that this time we were watching Eric. He is a wonderful partner. Weaver/Poje? Fantastic, sizzling. Quite a few women in our area were drooling over Andrew! And Shawn? What a showman! And it's now the cheap, easy stuff. He really delivers! I agree with Ryan. I hope his routines show up on youtube soon. Nice to see Nam. He certainly has grown. We enjoyed Patrick. I know some have complained that there were only Canadian skaters this year but they've been topnotch, not a dud in the bunch. Group numbers were fun. We really liked the guys number. Oh the things they do with Shawn! I like the girls' one although I am going to have to find out more about the song "Creepy". I couldn't make out the words. All of the performances are worth looking at again.
    And then there's Kurt! Sharp as ever. Only he could pull off that comedic number, shades of Scott Hamilton. Sonia and the kids were there.
    One really good thing; the past few years the numbers have been low (2000-5000). Tonight, about 10,000! The staff were really happy; they like working SOI because skating fans are polite, very happy and we don't cause any trouble!
    We liked the music and loved the choreography. A very high standard keeps loyal SOI fans.
    It was a good night! May the rest of you across Canada enjoy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nlyoung View Post
    We are so lucky in Canada to get such a fantastic cast! The quality of everything, including the group numbers, was amazing. Nam is such a performer that it looked out of place when he decided to go for a long entry into what I assumed was a triple axel attempt (which he singled). I was amused that he had tried it at all given performance lighting, then he surprised everyone by going to the other end of the rink, stalking it again, and nailing it! He did deserve applause for that one
    Indeed, you lucky Canadians!! Nam is a born performer and happy to hear that he nailed his 3A. Mind you, he's only 15yo lest we forget. What a promising star.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    One really good thing; the past few years the numbers have been low (2000-5000). Tonight, about 10,000! The staff were really happy; they like working SOI because skating fans are polite, very happy and we don't cause any trouble!
    We liked the music and loved the choreography. A very high standard keeps loyal SOI fans.
    Wow.. glad to hear the high turnout. Mind you, they are all quality Canadian skaters and everyone is so talented and so very nice too. I am sooo jealous of you Canadians.

Found some pixs posted on Twitter: group number pix one and two. and a snap vid.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Indeed, you lucky Canadians!! Nam is a born performer and happy to hear that he nailed his 3A. Mind you, he's only 15yo lest we forget. What a promising star.

Wow.. glad to hear the high turnout. Mind you, they are all quality Canadian skaters and everyone is so talented and so very nice too. I am sooo jealous of you Canadians.

Found some pixs posted on Twitter: group number pix one and two. and a snap vid.
    Still need to get you up here, spikey! I do hope that some of these fine skaters figure out a way of touring Australia. When Scott and Tessa came out, we felt like our ears were going to be blasted off! There is nothing quite like hearing that 10,00-strong aaaah when those two start!
    Hoping for some more reports.

vCash
    Thanks everybody

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nlyoung View Post
    We are so lucky in Canada to get such a fantastic cast! The quality of everything, including the group numbers, was amazing. Kaetlyn fell a couple times, once on a jump (she bounced right back up), the other time for no reason in a group number but laughed it off. Nam was the guest skater and did a great job in front of coach Brian Orser, who came in after the break and went to sit in the stands to get a better view a few rows behind me. Nam is such a performer that it looked out of place when he decided to go for a long entry into what I assumed was a triple axel attempt (which he singled). I was amused that he had tried it at all given performance lighting, then he surprised everyone by going to the other end of the rink, stalking it again, and nailing it! He did deserve applause for that one Exhibition rules though, if you are going to break the momentum to stalk a jump you had better be sure to land it. Good for him to get it out there once again under pressure.
    Sounds like we were sitting very close together - I was also in the 3rd row a few rows in front of Brian! Also saw Josee on my way out of the building - I imagine there were many friends in attendance last night.

The opening number was brilliant! If that doesn't make you so proud to be a Canadian, then what will? The skating was superb throughout, only Osmond had some wobbles. It's stunning to see how rich Canada is in terms of talented skaters. I could ooze for hours on the sheer wonderfulness of Scott and Tessa; they don't just move fluidly, they ARE fluidity! Joannie seems to be able to do anything; I can't think of a female skater recently who has been able to capture my interest so. Jeff's numbers are works of art that should be studied. We loved Du/Rad and were both surprised that this time we were watching Eric. He is a wonderful partner. Weaver/Poje? Fantastic, sizzling. Quite a few women in our area were drooling over Andrew! And Shawn? What a showman! And it's now the cheap, easy stuff. He really delivers! I agree with Ryan. I hope his routines show up on youtube soon. Nice to see Nam. He certainly has grown. We enjoyed Patrick. I know some have complained that there were only Canadian skaters this year but they've been topnotch, not a dud in the bunch. Group numbers were fun. We really liked the guys number. Oh the things they do with Shawn! I like the girls' one although I am going to have to find out more about the song "Creepy". I couldn't make out the words. All of the performances are worth looking at again.
    And then there's Kurt! Sharp as ever. Only he could pull off that comedic number, shades of Scott Hamilton. Sonia and the kids were there.
    Agree with all your comments. I bought my tickets months ago as a consolation for not being able to go to Canadians without knowing what a stellar cast we'd have, and I'm SOOO glad I did! What a fantastic show - right up there with the old days when SOI was at its height. My own gushing comments:

Joannie - my absolute favourite ladies skater ever, and she's still got it - loved the second number in particular
    Kurt - the footwork by which all others should be measured - never a big fan of his goofy numbers, but that second number was awesome. He's so inhumanly natural on skates that one almost imagines that without them he'd wobble over and not be able to walk! (And for those who have never seen Sonia dance - go, now! She's an absolutely exquisite dancer - one does wonder what those children will achieve with such seriously talented performing artists as parents.)
    Jeffrey - one almost forgets his greatness on the ice, but his second number was spectacular - creative, powerful, compelling. Did he also choreograph the group numbers? So much fun. And also articulate with his bit for charity
    Kaetlyn - as noted a bit wobbly but my favourite thing about her is that she smiles and sells it. Far too many ladies skaters over the years and today look so serious and distant when they skate, and Kaetlyn is such a breath of fresh air.
    Patrick - so fun to see him having fun! And so great to watch without being on the edge of my seat holding my breath He was really good in the group numbers too - including a lift with Kaitlyn!
    Shawn - showmanship defined, and plenty of his trademark bendy moves to please the crowd Good to see him having so much fun.
    Nam - a delight!
    Megan and Eric - would have loved to see some SBS moves but really enjoyed them (although still mourning Dylan - he would have been so great in this show, even on his own!)
    Kaitlyn and Andrew - their second number was more traditional, but it was their first number I adored - so passionate
    Tessa and Scott - I'll wave my Canadian flag freely here and say they are the best, no matter what the results. I could easily watch an entire ice show of just them skating, so to the haterz!

Also, the ladies group number was to a song called Creep originally by Radiohead - it's been covered widely so not sure what version that was. It was the oddest moment of the show - like some bizarre vignette from The Black Swan. I enjoyed it, but it really didn't fit into the overall tone of the show, which was as the final song said, Happy!

vCash
    Jeff's numbers are works of art that should be studied.
    This fan from the US hopes for video of these.

vCash
    Don't Stop Believin' finale from Toronto last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwMAqxxHEAs

Montreal vids:
    "Try" (V/M & W/P): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BpFL1tA6lY
    V/M's "Into the Mystic": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxqVEqXzILg
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-03-2014 at 06:14 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    SO glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!

vCash
    Don't Stop Believin' finale from Toronto last night:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwMAqxxHEAs
    Really really nice and entertaining, no dull or meaningless moment in this Finale and you wouldn't say that Kurt is not THAT young anymore. Joannie missed the double axel but not Kurt. Stars on Ice seems to be in good hands with Jeffrey behind the choreography and music selections. Great show from what I've seen so far and so much talent in just one place.

Thanks everyone for links to videos, photos and reports.

vCash

vCash
    Last edited by Daniskates93; 05-03-2014 at 09:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    Kaetlyn, welcome aboard as a full member of SOI Canada! I look forward to seeing you in the group numbers!
    lets hope she doesnt fall in a group number

vCash
    Did Javier skate?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    Did Javier skate?
    Javier's not on the Canadian tour this year.

vCash
    He was practising with them on Friday? Just for a Toronto guest appearance?

vCash
    Javi was there on Friday at rehearsals, but not part of the Canadian group: it was all reserved for Canadian skaters. Javi did the Japan tour, with many of the same numbers. So he did not skate at the rehearsals, was just there to look out for Nam.

vCash
    Thanks for the info. So sweet for him to take on such a brotherly role

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    'Try' is breathtaking. Two incredibly good looking couple to match.

Who is the choreographer?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    'Try' is breathtaking. Two incredibly good looking couple to match.

Who is the choreographer?
    "Try" was performed at the 2013 US tour by different couples (Katia & Ilia, and Kim & Brent). It should have been done by Jeff and Renee Roca, or either of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robmc View Post
    lets hope she doesnt fall in a group number
    She did in Hamilton, during the finale. While they re-shot a number of other misses (some we didn't notice the first time), they didn't re-do the finale. Osmond certainly sells a number, but still managed to seem the rookie. It was kind of endearing.

Megan & Eric looked soooo out of place most of the show. One of their hand to hand lifts looked all kinds of sloppy. But they really surprised me with their Say Something number!
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast