vCash

"Beat the Heat" benefit show in Port Carling, Canada

On the 31st August the Brian Orser Foundation and the Port Carling skating club organized this show featuring Orser's students plus Kurt Browning and Jeff Buttle. I hadn't seen a thread on the board and I'm not aware of a thread specific for shows so here it goes.

I learnt about this because Kurt Browning tweeted about it and I asked Danielle Earl to attend and take some photos for my site, maybe she'll pop up here and give us a review.

Here's the highlights gallery:
    http://www.sport-folio.net/en/articl...ights-gallery/

More to come tomorrow.

vCash
    And as promised the full galleries:
    Beat the Heat

Lots of Kurt Browning being Kurt Browning.

vCash
    It looks like everyone had a lot fun. Thanks for posting it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
    It looks like everyone had a lot fun. Thanks for posting it.
    You're welcome. And t did look fun, Danielle really liked it there from what I gathered.

vCash
    Hi!

I just found this thread!

I loved the show, it was a blast. I got to talk to some of the skaters parents and chat with them outside of a competition environment, which was nice. Gabby & Zach Daleman's mom is such a nice lady!

The show itself was very entertaining. Very casual and relaxed - lots of cheering for all of the skaters not just the big names. Everyone skated their short programs, so it was kind of like a "simulation" of sorts - with a standing room only audience.

Javi skated his new short, which reminded me a bit of his 2011/2012 short (the one with the yellow sweater vest). He skated well - possibly doubling a jump so as not to land on the VIP seats! I can't be too sure of any of the jumps though as it is hard to tell through the clicking of my camera!

Jeff skated a beautiful exhibition piece that I had never seen before. It was too a fairly well known song that I can't remember the nam of at the moment. It was lovely.

Kurt skated to a mambo-type number with a hat as a prop. It was very entertaining, however not one of my favourite Kurt pieces. His double axels are still AMAZING though. He's still got the hight to do a triple if he wanted to IMO.

Let's see.... Kento Nakamura skated a bit of a rough short. I think he had a few jump errors, but I do like his steps.

Junior ladies Anna Pevtsova (RUS), Samantha Cabiles (PHI) and Michaela du Toit (RSA) as well as Stephie Walmsley all had good and entertaining skates. So did Jarret Melanson who did a Kurt-inspired number. Nam had a couple of bobbles throughout his program but it was good nonetheless (he skated better last night in Mexico City).

All in all I'm very glad that I got asked to go, otherwise I would have never known about it! It was definitely worth the 3 hour drive to get to Port Carling (which is a beautiful little town BTW).

I'll definitely be heading back next year if I can

vCash
    ^^ Thanks for the review, Daniskates93!

vCash
    Thanks Dani. Looks like a lot of fun for the skaters too.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    And as promised the full galleries:
    Beat the Heat

Lots of Kurt Browning being Kurt Browning.
    Thanks for the photos! It must have been a good practice event for Nguyen, du Toit, and Cabiles.

vCash
    Is there any information as to whether this will happen again this year?