vCash

Protecting the knees

Hello,

Any tips/exercises you can recommend for protecting the knees not so much from falls, but from repetitive jumping and landing?

Jumps are my favorite part of skating, but I still want to be able to walk when I'm in my 70s and beyond!

vCash
    Yes. It is all about protecting the structures around the knees. Quads. Quads. Quads. Leg lifts. There are lots of people sites that will show you videos. Working from and strengthening your core also key. I have loose ligaments. And have rehabbed my knees more times than I care to count. Surgery too. And the exercises are always the same. I am pre-elderly (my sainted 90 year old aunts term) and I still ride and jump my horse 3 times a week.

Tip: I have a really high pain tolerance and I have learned to be cautious. If my knee is iffy I do less that day...do more strengthening. That has been a good mantra for me in the last few years. Way better than passing past a twinge and finding out 3 hours later I shouldn't have.

Smart thinking on your part.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Yes. It is all about protecting the structures around the knees. Quads. Quads. Quads. Leg lifts. There are lots of people sites that will show you videos. Working from and strengthening your core also key. I have loose ligaments. And have rehabbed my knees more times than I care to count. Surgery too. And the exercises are always the same. I am pre-elderly (my sainted 90 year old aunts term) and I still ride and jump my horse 3 times a week.

Tip: I have a really high pain tolerance and I have learned to be cautious. If my knee is iffy I do less that day...do more strengthening. That has been a good mantra for me in the last few years. Way better than passing past a twinge and finding out 3 hours later I shouldn't have.

Smart thinking on your part.
    thanks for the tips! yep--i do core work almost daily, and leg workouts twice a week--quad lifts, hamstring curls, abductor, adductor exercises, and recently i've added lunges. i have an acl replacement on my landing leg and i feel ok on it, but want to protect both knees as much as possible. btw, around how old is pre-elderly considered lol!

vCash
    I will check out a good website tommorrow. Lunges are dang hard on the knees. If you keep the bend at no more than 90 you keep safe.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    thanks..yep, i make it a point to keep the knees at 90 so they don't go past the toe. thanks for all the tips!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ronniev View Post
    Hello,

Any tips/exercises you can recommend for protecting the knees not so much from falls, but from repetitive jumping and landing?

Jumps are my favorite part of skating, but I still want to be able to walk when I'm in my 70s and beyond!
    My suggestion: strengthen your thighs. Knees tend to absorb all the shock when the muscles can't.

vCash
    None of that helps if taking an antibiotic medication that causes tendonitis and tendon ruptures. Right now I can't skate because I took that stuff last week. I would never have taken it if the doctor had adequately informed me of the risks, so if the problem doesn't go away soon (sometimes there is permanent damage), someone may be getting sued.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Yes. It is all about protecting the structures around the knees. Quads. Quads. Quads. Leg lifts.
    Actually focusing a lot on the quads is not the answer. Women especially have a natural 2:1 ratio of quad to hamstring strength, and knee pain can develop because of hamstring weakness, and over-dominance of the quad. Also, knee pain can occur because of weak musculature in the hip, especially the glute medius muscle. You can still strengthen your quads (and please avoid machines, esp the leg extension machine), but you need to have a balance in quad to hamstring strengthening. Incorporate single leg dead lifts and single leg bridges into your routine, as well as a variety of glute medius exercises.

vCash
    You really need to make sure the quad strength is even around the different quadricep muscles as well. I apparently have a severe imbalance, that, along with my hip issues is the major cause of my knee pain. The outer quads pull the knee out of alignment.

vCash
    Overall strength is one thing but here's another thing to consider if you want to spare your knees from injury: avoid stiff boots. This does not mean get floppy boots but don't fall for that ultra-strong hype. Here's what happens mechanically with the ankle and knee when the boots are too stiff: if the ankle can't flex forward AND laterally, your knee will absorb the stress and eventually destroy them. The ultra-strong boots--especially those with plastic supports--do not have a very good lateral flex. And this isn't just when you jump. It's when you do basic stroking and everything else. This happened with a friend of mine. She returned to skating after many years away and obtained a gently used pair of ultra-stiff skates that happened to fit her foot perfectly. But she complained that her knees hurt all the time--and she hadn't even jumped yet. She was also complaining that she couldn't get a really deep edge without falling off of it even when her skates had a nice sharpening. She was considering knee surgery--until she got a softer boot. Her knee problems were solved. I should add that this woman is an avid cyclist. She doesn't own a car but rides her bike everywhere. So examine your boots and maybe go down a notch in softness to save your knees.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rsk8d View Post
    Actually focusing a lot on the quads is not the answer. Women especially have a natural 2:1 ratio of quad to hamstring strength, and knee pain can develop because of hamstring weakness, and over-dominance of the quad. Also, knee pain can occur because of weak musculature in the hip, especially the glute medius muscle. You can still strengthen your quads (and please avoid machines, esp the leg extension machine), but you need to have a balance in quad to hamstring strengthening. Incorporate single leg dead lifts and single leg bridges into your routine, as well as a variety of glute medius exercises.
    Exactly. Also, don't forget to do some proper stretching after workout and after every skating session.