Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    She really liked Mirai too.
    I have never seen Mirai this expressive

Maybe the emotional ride she went through during Nationals really made her realise how much she actually love skating and finally start to skate for herself too..
    I wish she could bring this momentum (along with a good coach!) into next season.

vCash
    Don't we all!

vCash
    Wow, what great photos! Love Josh's red shirt. Now if only I could see the program...

vCash
    Is there any published data on how this year's attendance compares with previous years?

vCash
    The providence, R.I. pics are amazing!

I was hoping that Felicia & Nate would be invited to @ least some of the SOI shows too, especially in Florida, & possibly NJ. They did perform in the Skating Club of Wilmington show last Thursday through Saturday (got to see them on Saturday evening).

Adam Rippon had such a wonderful season (until Nationals). I was hoping he'd have an opportunity to skate with SOI in the US tour, too.

All said, I hope next seasons tours don't overlap, and that the cast is international in scope!

vCash
    Review of last night's Albany show: http://blog.timesunion.com/localarts...ter-418/33014/
    Only 3,800 tickets were sold for Friday’s show, according to box office numbers, a small crowd to come out for this handful of Olympians we were all talking about just two months ago. And tickets were just $25. But the audience of mostly families with children made up for it by cheering like a full house each time the skaters gestured to their side of the arena and singing along when Olympic Bronze medalist Gracie Gold skated to “Frozen” during the second act.
    Among the highlights of Friday’s show were Ryan Bradley’s back flip, which, to the delight of the crowd, he put into each of his performances, and a jaw-dropping move by Castelli and Shnapir involving swinging Castelli by her skates, her head inches from the ice.
    ETA this backstage cast photo in Albany (Max Aaron joined the tour in Manchester, NH 2 nights ago): http://instagram.com/p/m-dEGGCFAw/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-19-2014 at 07:54 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    was planning to get tickets at the door for the Albany show but my supervisor wanted me to expedite my work. Sigh, life of a poor college student.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren329 View Post
    I went in DC at the Verizon Center after 2010 and attendance was really spotty for an Olympic year.
    I have been to lots of skating events at Verizon and there is never much energy there, no matter how close to full it is. I don't know what the deal is with that building, but it totally sucks the life (and noise) out of skating audiences. It is so weird, because the Landover arena was not that much smaller, yet that building rocked. Especially when you consider the audiences they used to pull every year for COI and World Pros in Landover, things just feel dead at Verizon Center (and did even the very first year after the switch for World Pros).

I used to prefer going to Baltimore to see SOI. For one thing, if you are going to have to spend more than hour commuting to an SOI show, you may as well make a day of it and Baltimore is a fun place to visit (unlike Hershey, PA, which I did once). While still having NHL size ice, the Baltimore arena is smaller than Verizon and probably costs less to rent. Even thru the last SOI tour there, the arena seemed to be about 3/4 full, so I never understood why SOI abandoned the VA-DC-MD audiences altogether.
    Last edited by Susan M; 04-20-2014 at 12:19 AM.

vCash
    Here's what's on the Cumberland County Civic Center (Portland, Maine) website for tonight (additions/corrections made by me below):
    See the U.S. Figure Skating Team - Straight from Sochi!

Featuring Meryl Davis and Charlie White, Olympic gold medal winners in ice dancing along with their team event () bronze medal winning teammates including two-time U.S. Champion Ashley Wagner, 2014 U.S. Champion Gracie Gold, four-time and reigning U.S. Champion Jeremy Abbott, 2014 U.S. silver medalist Jason Brown, and two-time reigning U.S. pairs champions Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir! The cast also includes two-time U.S. ice dancing silver medalists Madison Chock and Evan Bates two-time U.S. ice dancing bronze medalists Kimberly Navarro and Brent Bommentre, 2011 U.S. Champion Ryan Bradley and 2010 Olympian and 2014 U.S. Bronze medalist Mirai Nagasu and 2013 World Junior champion Josh Farris. Several special guests [2013 U.S. Champion Max Aaron tonight] will also make appearances throughout the tour.

Get your tickets now to experience the passion and relive the spirit of the U.S. Figure Skating Team as they celebrate their performances from the 2014 Winter Games! Skaters subject to change without notice due to injury.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-19-2014 at 09:03 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    While still having NHL size ice, the Baltimore arena is smaller than Verizon and probably costs less to rent. Even thru the last SOI tour there, the arena seemed to be about 3/4 full, so I never understood why SOI abandoned the VA-DC-MD audiences altogether.
    The way the seats are configured for SOI, the ice is actually a bit smaller than NHL size. And the building is old (I really wish the city and sponsors would just get it together and build a new arena already). COI's last year there was 2004; SOI was 2008. I suspect it was a combination of wanting a nicer facility and thinking they could draw a larger audience that sent them both to DC. And I guess the expense of renting Verizon (and scheduling challenges with both NHL and NBA games) combined with disappointing attendance led them to just leave altogether. In 2010, I think Verizon may have been about 3/4 full and maybe half full in 2011, the last year SOI was there. I wish they would come back, but I guess I can't argue with their economics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    The way the seats are configured for SOI, the ice is actually a bit smaller than NHL size.
    I think that is true pretty much anywhere because of the on-ice seating. Even sacrificing a couple yards all around, any NHL size ice is still way bigger than some of the places they skated before about 1970. Unlike SOI, COI always came to DC (2 shows some years) and always skated in the largest arena (Cap Center in Landover, MD then MCI/Verizon Center in downtown DC).

I remember seeing SOI at George Mason University arena in Fairfax, which didn't even have its own ice and was basically only big enough for a basketball court (and not nearly big enough to do justice to skaters with speed like Kulik).

I thought getting away from venues like that made sense and you are right, it probably is sound economics to not use expensive arenas you can't fill. Personally I didn't think the Baltimore arena was that bad. It remains my favorite of the 4 locations in which I have seen SOI, all things considered.
    Last edited by Susan M; 04-20-2014 at 12:36 AM.

vCash
    Has anyone done the meet and greets? Asking for a friend who is contemplating buying M&G tickets for Portland but wondering if its worth the extra $75. I've never done one- are they well organized or a mess? Is it mostly little kids?

vCash
    Has anyone done the meet and greets? Asking for a friend who is contemplating buying M&G tickets for Portland but wondering if its worth the extra $75. I've never done one- are they well organized or a mess? Is it mostly little kids?
    I did the one in Newark. I would say it's absolutely worth it - it wasn't rushed like a lot of M&Gs are, plus you may even get time to chat briefly. I was able to get to everyone as well.

vCash
    Here is a nice slideshow video of all photos someone took during an SOI show (not the most recent since it still has photos of Jason too). The photos are nice and I think he/she got photos of all the programs and of everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO4i7UsCPng

vCash
    3 videos from Newark, NJ:

"Don't Stop Believin'" & "Happy" finale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVeNcAWi9eg

"The Walker" (1:40): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7ZRcdHHs2M

Ryan Bradley (1 min.): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxllcuB-3gk

vCash
    A teenage skater I know did the meet n' greet in LI and posted pictures of herself with Meryl and Charlie, Ashley, Gracie, and Alissa and got her skates signed by Meryl and Charlie. They also autographed a photo for her and signed her program, as did the ladies mentioned. She described it as amazing, and she definitely did have time with the skaters.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Finally have pics up from the Newark show...I tried to show at least one pic from each of the performances (so no one would be left out).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/844024...7644190132115/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Finally have pics up from the Newark show...I tried to show at least one pic from each of the performances (so no one would be left out).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/844024...7644190132115/
    Beautiful!

vCash
    Beautiful! Mirai looks great! (actually, everyone does)

vCash
    Thanks! Actually, if someone can tell me who was with Czisny here in the finale, I'd appreciate it...need to add the tags...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/844024...57644190132115

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast