Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Thanks! Actually, if someone can tell me who was with Czisny here in the finale, I'd appreciate it...need to add the tags...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/844024...57644190132115
    RD, some very nice Pics. I am going Sunday in Detroit. Do you know what their camera policy is, can I bring an SLR with a telephoto?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    RD, some very nice Pics. I am going Sunday in Detroit. Do you know what their camera policy is, can I bring an SLR with a telephoto?
    Will depend on the arena, but I had no problems with my camera. However, the telephoto lens stayed at home - often times at these events, larger lenses are often deemed "professional" (which they won't let you use) so you have to be mindful of that. Instead, I sat very close and used a smaller lens.
    Last edited by RD; 04-23-2014 at 04:47 AM.

vCash
    RD, your photos are stunning! Thank you for sharing them!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Here are the remaining "SkateFest" cities being organized by USFS in conjunction with some of the Stars on Ice tour stops: http://usfigureskating.org/shell.asp?sid=50035

Providence, R.I. - Friday, April 11 - Dennis Lynch Arena

Albany, N.Y. - Friday, April 18 - Albany County Hockey Facility

Pittsburgh, Pa. - Thursday, April 24 - Robert Morris Ice Arena

Detroit, Mich - Saturday, April 26 - Arctic Edge of Canton

Chicago, Ill. - Friday, May 2 - Skokie Skatium

Anaheim, Calif. - Saturday, May 10 - East West Ice Palace
    Photos from the Pittsburgh SkateFest yesterday (Wagner and Farris): http://www.timesonline.com/gallery/c...8cd734975.html

The Pittsburgh show is tonight.

Via Max Aaron (on the ice with Gold, Nagasu and Bradley): "Pretty sweet to share the same ice as Sidney Crosby. #playoffs #starsoniceFollow": http://instagram.com/p/nOlsRco2IA/

ETA link to Providence TV news report on Marissa Castelli's return for SOI & SkateFest one week ago: http://wpri.com/2014/04/16/olympic-m...rns-to-ri-ice/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-25-2014 at 10:58 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Video of Ashley, NavBoms, and Josh at the SkateFest in Pittsburgh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkJ85izu9Tk
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    ^ Thanks for posting!

vCash
    Funny backstage group photo montage from Pittsburgh: http://instagram.com/p/nPRJaexf9W/

The Shibutanis posed with Ryan Bradley before the Detroit show today: http://instagram.com/p/nTkOX7Rf7q/

Hubbell & Donohue also attended today's show, not surprisingly.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash

vCash
    Thanks, TandBFan! You'll be taking care of "that missing video" when you attend the next show, right?

Meryl Davis and Charlie White bring busy gold medal tour back to Detroit
    WXYZ-TV Detroit / Channel 7
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-z8nfqIQd8

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Thanks, TandBFan! You'll be taking care of "that missing video" when you attend the next show, right?

Meryl Davis and Charlie White bring busy gold medal tour back to Detroit
    WXYZ-TV Detroit / Channel 7
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-z8nfqIQd8
    I wish I could because I know how much some fans want to see it, but I find it hard to take video and watch at the same time. Since I'm traveling so far to see the show, I really want to enjoy every moment!! Maybe I can bribe someone around me to use my camera. Anyone dragging any bored husbands/boyfriends to the Chicago show who wouldn't mind taking a video?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    I wish I could because I know how much some fans want to see it, but I find it hard to take video and watch at the same time. Since I'm traveling so far to see the show, I really want to enjoy every moment!!
    I hear ya and completely understand. Enjoy the show!

Maybe I can bribe someone around me to use my camera. Anyone dragging any bored husbands/boyfriends to the Chicago show who wouldn't mind taking a video?
    Great idea! Hope you can make it happen!

vCash
    Enjoy the show, TanithandBenFan! I hope you have a great time!

And I hope there are some bribe-amenable people sitting near you

vCash
    I know you've all been WAITING with bated breath the last two days for my review of the Detroit show. Okay, not really. I hope I'm not repeating too much. Shared sentiment of me and my friend when the show was over: "I wish it wasn't over."

I got just little bits of video here and there--like TanithandBenFan, I wanted to really watch as much as I could and just enjoy it, and I can't do that when I'm videoing. Plus I'm not very good at videoing.

Oh, and we had the most AWESOME seats. We were right behind the "on-ice seating" but paid half as much Was wonderful to have the skaters going right past us, and at one point Meryl and Charlie stopped right in front of us (do I wish I'd gotten a picture? heck yes I do).

Opening: This is where everyone came out in the dark, with fake candles, in monks’ robes. I loves me some plainchant!! Meryl and Charlie looked wonderful, of course. (Little bit of video) They gave a nice introduction, too (I imagine it's pretty similar in all the cities, except for the "Hi, Grandma!")

I really liked Marissa & Simon’s number (Royals). Simon got to be a bit goofy and showed a little more animation as a result. Maybe their coaches should try a goofy-style SP next season?

Ryan Bradley: Both numbers sort of blur together for me, and I have titled them “A Tribute to Plushenko and Elaine Zayak.” At his best he can be very entertaining, but it seemed like he had put only minimal effort into his training and choreographing these programs. Lots of standing around dancing, very little footwork (and what there was of it was mostly Mohawks & toepicky stuff, not at all super quick like Kurt Browning or Scott Hamilton back in the day). And I think every single jump he did was a triple toe (someone correct me if I’m wrong, because he may have done a flip or two—but there were definitely no lutzes and no edge jumps that I can remember). Thus the “tribute to Zayak.” And yep, there were some back flips in there.

Alissa looked beautiful in both her solo numbers, of course. She seemed to tense up when going for the jumps—whether that was real or just my imagination planting anxiety and tension into the moment I don’t really know. But just as “kind to the ice” (thanks, Uncle Dickie) and lovely as ever.

Kim and Brent were great. Their performances had a lot of crowd-pleasing lifts and of course a headbanger in which Kim’s head was frighteningly close to the ice. Not a lot of footwork or choreography, but they were still enjoyable to watch.

Gracie seemed a little off—she fell on a lutz in “Let It Go”—but I liked her All That Jazz; it didn’t seem inappropriate to me (note I have not ever seen the musical, so, I don’t know—is the character she’s portraying supposed to be a prostitute or something?). I’m sure, though, her “Let It Go” made tween girls everywhere very happy (and I taped a bit of it just for one of my daughter’s friends, who is OBSESSED with Frozen).

Jeremy—lovely of course. His number to “The Fear” was very interesting and different. Looked like he was just exploring totally different movement styles on his skates. A modern dance company should snap him up, pronto! I know he did a 3lutz and a couple of double axels (and might have done a 3A? I wasn’t scrutinizing).

Mirai’s “On Golden Pond” and “Demons” were awesome. She was very expressive and freer in her movement than she usually is in competition.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED Meryl & Charlie’s Rachmaninoff number. It was everything an M&C shipper could want—or if you had no idea who Meryl & Charlie were you’d think they were a couple off-ice. It was smooth and graceful and ended in an embrace.

Ashley was good and fierce in her numbers, which included a flip, loop, and 2a.

The Walker with the guys was indeed a very funny number. I think Joshua Farris needs to do more goofy, humorous programs—never knew he had this side to him!

“Creep”—the ladies number was, well. . . Just taken from a purely choreographic point of view it was lovely, but add the lyrics in?? And it was a like a celebration of low self-esteem and girls thinking they’re ugly and not special, and it all just leaves you with a WTF? feeling. And even though there were other ‘serious’ numbers, this one seemed really despairingly out of place—were these women all pretending to be little girls at the barre? Count me among the confused.

Max was Max. I think he had FOUR jumps in his program?? I don't understand why he'd roll up the cuffs on his jeans--his legs are so short anyhow and this just exaggerated the effect. I took video for my friend who couldn't come with us.

I really liked the duet between Alissa and Jeremy. It was sweet and lighthearted. Nice use, choreographically speaking, of her being a CW jumper and Jeremy a CCW jumper.

Josh’s solo number made me think of Paul Wylie. I think it was the great posture and the extreme care that was put into every movement (as well as the serious nature of the program).

Scheherezade felt positively WEIRD without twizzles and step sequences and crunched down. I think I’ve watched the competitive program so many times that this slimmed-down version didn’t seem “right.”
    Last edited by LilJen; 04-30-2014 at 01:06 AM.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Max was Max. I think he had FOUR jumps in his program?? I don't understand why he'd roll up the cuffs on his jeans--his legs are so short anyhow and this just exaggerated the effect. I took video for my friend who couldn't come with us.
    Ahhhhhhh, thankyou for the adorable video of Max! *watches on mute* (Though I am puzzled by "Max was Max". ?)

I'm glad you had such a good time! I am enjoying the shows vicariously through all of you

And you will be glad to know that Josh said in one of his interviews (I will track it down eventually) that he was hoping to do a more upbeat short program this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    And you will be glad to know that Josh said in one of his interviews (I will track it down eventually) that he was hoping to do a more upbeat short program this year.
    After seeing him the men's number, I really hope he gets something more fun. He was really on in that performance, and he really has "it" when he let's his hair down a bit more (to use an expression).
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    After seeing him the men's number, I really hope he gets something more fun. He was really on in that performance, and he really has "it" when he let's his hair down a bit more (to use an expression).
    I think he has "it" when he does the serious programs, too. He has the range to do it all!!

vCash
    Max was Max. I think he had FOUR jumps in his program?? I don't understand why he'd roll up the cuffs on his jeans--his legs are so short anyhow and this just exaggerated the effect
    Is four a lot or not a lot? I'm trying to understand the emphasis.

I do think he would benefit greatly from a stylist who knows how to deal with short legs and a long torso (his competition black/white unitard with the drop waists, which might actually be his natural waist, wasn't flattering. The all black was great). Maybe higher waisted pants that blend with the skates? Or maybe he'd just look goofy like he was trying to be Adam Rippon. He needs to be himself... but yeah, the rolled up cuffs made his legs look extremely short.

vCash
    I wonder if any other Stars on Ice city will have this opportunity? http://www.hastingsstargazette.com/c...stars-ice-show
    Hastings figure skating coach, Amanda Truax of River Blades Skating School, will be coaching a group of Twin Cities area youth for an opening number at this weekend's Stars On Ice show in St. Paul.

The show, scheduled at 4 p.m. Sunday, May 4, at the Xcel Center, is the first Stars on Ice show to include area skaters. Thirty skaters from 11 clubs in Minnesota and Wisconsin will perform at the beginning of the second act, coached and coordinated by Truax, Carey Tinkelenberg and Peter Biver. The youth program is directed by U.S. Figure Skating.
    Looking forward to reading TanithandBenFan's Chicago SOI review!

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash

Looking forward to reading TanithandBenFan's Chicago SOI review!
    Ask and ye shall receive

http://jennifercomeaux.blogspot.com/...rs-on-ice.html

Lots of photos and videos!! I took video of two small parts of Josh's program I wish I'd captured his Ina Bauer on video. It was gorgeous!

vCash
    I wonder if any other Stars on Ice city will have this opportunity? http://www.hastingsstargazette.com/c...stars-ice-show
    I was at the St. Paul show today and the kids did a great job! Even thought it felt a little randomly placed in the show, I'm sure it was an amazing opportunity for them nonetheless!

Meryl & Charlie were sublime in both numbers, but their Piano Concerto No. 2 is simply mesmerizing. During the girls group number (the weird ballerina one), Ashley/Gracie/Alissa/and Mirai are all supposed to lift Meryl. I'm not sure what happened, but someone lost their group or there was some miscommunication and they dropped Meryl. It didn't seem like a hard fall but still...yeesh!

Ashley was the other crowd favorite...she skated flawlessly in both programs and is so much more powerful in person. She didn't look out of place at all skating skills-wise. Jeremy was fab, too, and I really enjoyed Kim & Brent. Josh was solid and I really liked his programs as well! Mirai's "On Golden Pond" was stunning and I loved her second program as well.

I didn't care so much for Ryan's numbers and Gracie's "Let it Go" fell a little bit flat. Still, it was an awesome show!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast