Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

2014 U.S. Stars on Ice tour (April 4 - May 18) ~ articles, photos, reports/reviews

Official site: http://www.starsonice.com
    U.S. cast: http://www.starsonice.com/the-skaters.html

The first show has kicked off in Fort Myers, Florida. Here's Jason Brown's selfie with Polina Edmunds before the show: http://pic.twitter.com/n2jhYeIpcL

On ice shot of the U.S. SOI full-time cast in Florida, tweeted by @starsonice on April 2nd: http://pic.twitter.com/6tGmdIR9yj
    (Davis/White, Abbott, Wagner, Gold, Nagasu, Czisny, Bradley, Farris, Navarro/Bommentre)

NBC is scheduled to air a 1-hour broadcast on Sunday, April 13 from 3-4 pm Eastern.

ETA 2 publicity articles in local media that are are Meryl Davis-focused:

Orlando (FL) Sentinel: Meryl Davis a star on the ice and off

Pennlive.com ahead of the Hershey (PA) show: Meryl Davis on 'Dancing with the Stars,' 'Stars on Ice,' Princess Jasmine and more
    Can you tell me a little about your number in "Stars on Ice?"

"Charlie and I are actually doing a different version of our free dance for the show. It's to the music of 'Scheherazade' and we're both also doing a piece to Rachmaninoff."

What drew you to those pieces in particular?

"They're both just stunningly beautiful pieces of music. I think thats really one of the things Charlie and I have always looked for in programs - for music that makes us really, really urges us to perform."
    U.S. main cast group photo posted on Stars on Ice's Facebook fan page:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bkan4pwIUAELuvf.jpg:large
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-05-2014 at 02:47 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Well I certainly hope the reaction by the couple behind John and Tanith isn't an indication of this year's show.
    https://twitter.com/TanithJLB/status...477376/photo/1

vCash
    Gracie Gold performing to "Let It Go" (Frozen soundtrack).

Any other music news from the Tour?

vCash
    Complete program music list is published now: http://www.starsonice.com/music.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Complete program music list is published now: http://www.starsonice.com/music.html
    The order of the list is wrong. They listed by the name of the skaters, not by the performance order. Some interesting observation:

The Opening/Closing numbers?
    Don't stop believin' by Rock of Ages
    When you are not saving the world by Hans Zimmer

Ladies' number:
    Creep by Scala and Calacny Brothers

Men's number:
    The walker by Fits and the Tantrums

Duet by Alissa and Jeremy:
    Piano Guys by Van Cliburn and Dave Brubeck (This is the number performed by Joannie and Jeff last year at CSOI. They decided to recycle it!)

vCash
    I'm curious as to how well attended the show was.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Aww, Josh is the only full-time cast member with just one solo. Can we swap out Ryan's heavy metal number? (or either of Gracie's)
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    I'm apparently easy to please, because I had a great time! It went by so quickly, too. It didn't look like the arena was too full, sadly enough. Seems like a lot of pockets of the upper sections were empty. Parking was only $5 (!!!) and the venue was a little smaller than I'm used to, so maybe the bigger cities/arenas will get a little more of an audience. Still, a fun show and well worth the 2 hour drive for me.

It's so freaky to me to recognize skaters just casually walking among "the rabble." I saw Polina Edmunds walking to an alternate entrance right before her performance, and after the show saw Tanith heading to a backstage area. Meryl Davis also caused a bit of a stir in the ladies bathroom during the intermission merely by gracing us commoners with her presence (she walked right in front of me on her way out and I could only stare for those 2 seconds in a manner I hope wasn't too creepy).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rustymuffins View Post
    I'm apparently easy to please, because I had a great time! It went by so quickly, too. It didn't look like the arena was too full, sadly enough. Seems like a lot of pockets of the upper sections were empty. Parking was only $5 (!!!) and the venue was a little smaller than I'm used to, so maybe the bigger cities/arenas will get a little more of an audience. Still, a fun show and well worth the 2 hour drive for me.

It's so freaky to me to recognize skaters just casually walking among "the rabble." I saw Polina Edmunds walking to an alternate entrance right before her performance, and after the show saw Tanith heading to a backstage area. Meryl Davis also caused a bit of a stir in the ladies bathroom during the intermission merely by gracing us commoners with her presence (she walked right in front of me on her way out and I could only stare for those 2 seconds in a manner I hope wasn't too creepy).
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience with us. What or whose number/program did you enjoy the most?

Can't wait to see YouTube videos of the show since that's the only way I'll be able to watch it.
    Last edited by redfiretrees; 04-05-2014 at 08:52 AM.

vCash
    Hi rustymuffins, did Gracie use the proper version of Let it Go or did she use the crappy Demi Lovato cover?

vCash
    It says it's the Idina version on the music list.

vCash
    Why no mention of Jason Brown or Polina Edmunds on the music list? Anyone know what they performed?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shuilee View Post
    Why no mention of Jason Brown or Polina Edmunds on the music list? Anyone know what they performed?
    The published music list is usually for the full-time cast members. Jason said in his Today Show interview that he would be performing a version of his "Riverdance" on SOI (ETA: scratch that, he just said he was skating to it on Rockefeller Center ice, but I know it was supposed to be one of his SOI numbers): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-Wed-April-2nd

Thanks for your report, rustymuffins!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-05-2014 at 02:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shuilee View Post
    Basing it from the some of the videos I saw on FB and Youtube. Jason Brown performed his Riverdance and You Can't Touch This. As for Polina I don't know since haven't seen any videos yet of her performances.
    Last edited by redfiretrees; 04-05-2014 at 02:36 PM.

vCash
    Jason opened the show with a show version of Riverdance. He is supposed to be using MC Hammer for his other number. There is a really poor fancam version of the opening number on YouTube.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    There is a really poor fancam version of the opening number on YouTube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtNAJgRFbXw

vCash
    The music list matched up with what I saw/heard--Gracie wisely used Idina's version of Let It Go. She wore an extremely sparkly light blue dress to go along with it, which cracked me up. Jason did end up performing Riverdance and Can't Touch This, and just like most everywhere he goes the audience went crazy for him.

My personal favorite was D/W's variation of Scheherazade, which they skated right before the ending number (but I'm a big fan of theirs anyway, so grain of salt!). They switched up the beginning slightly so he's alone on the ice and she comes out and starts "the seduction," if you will, skating on her own as she heads over to him, and then they eventually get back to a version more akin to their competition piece (though I recall seeing a Samson & Delilah lift in there as well). The audience gave that performance the most extended applause (probably aided by the fact that they stayed on the ice a little longer since it seems they were waiting for a music cue for the finale to start ). I also loved seeing Jason Brown's performances, he's so charismatic and quite the crowd favorite. Jeremy Abbott's pieces were also nice, as you can tell they're experimenting with choreography and doing some cool stuff, and Navarro/Bommentre had some awesome lifts.

The men's number was a fun closeout to the first act, though the women's number right after intermission was a bit of a headscratcher (I also came in like 30 seconds into it as I lost track of time during the intermission, so I might have missed something)--they did some interesting stuff at a barre they placed in the middle of the ice, and everyone but Meryl had on a tutu and leg warmers. Still enjoyed it though! Both groups also included a lift of one skater by the other skaters, in this case Joshua Farris and Meryl in their respective men's/ladies numbers.

To be honest, there were very few duds, and even the duds had some interesting/fun elements. My group just dorked out over the entire thing. And even for a slightly smaller crowd, the audience was very enthusiastic. We don't normally get Olympic figure skaters in our neck of the woods, so that might contribute to my enjoyment of the performances. Overall, a good night was had by all! But like I said earlier, I'm very easy to please

vCash
    Thanks for everyone reporting back!

vCash
    Thanks rustymusffins for your detailed report! Sounds like a great show!!

vCash
    Gracie skating to Let it Go? Well i guess someone had too.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast