Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sotnikova

37 30.33%
  • Lipnitskaya

85 69.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Then you must hate watching ice dancers close-up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Then you must hate watching ice dancers close-up.
    I don't watch ice dancing lol.

vCash
    Awww. I'm not an expert at ice dancing as some people are on FSU, but I do enjoy watching the top teams.

It looks like starting out for fun as an adult, ice dancing would be the way to go (of course, without all the physically demanding lifts, etc, but some of the pattern dances would be fun to try). And what's wrong with putting a smile on your face and gliding around the ice rink?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Sotnikova won a ladies Olympic title and sketchy or not, that is clearly better than a world silver on paper. Does anyone even count the team event medals for anything? I don't value it enough to push a world silver over an olympic gold. I'm not too concerned over the GPF in this case, and Euros they're not too far off from each other.
    Sotnikova's win has caused such an enormous stink and is so completely accepted by most of the population even aware of skating to be so related to political non skating that it now carries the value of an Olympic silver at best (still probably more than the Olympic bronze which is what she deserved at best). Julia was so amazing and dominant over the other ladies, and her performances and results were so pivotal to Russia's team gold I would say her team gold is worth atleast an individual silver, if not slightly more. So all that said between the two I would say Julia's gold is worth more than Adelina's. If you disagree with me though, then I would say an olympic gold of any kind combined with a world silver, grand prix final silver, Europeans gold trumps a very bad and controversial Olympic gold with just a European silver.

Euros is not the same. A title always beats a couple silvers, especialy when you first in your first attempt. Worlds Julia wins silver in her debut and Adelina 9th in her only appearance, and too scared to make her 2nd.

vCash
    ^ you're right I'm just bitter that Julia gets unwarranted GOE (jumps) and PCS at all her events while skaters who have much better quality jumps and skating get hosed in comparison :p

Obviously I'm leaving out the Olympics from that because we all know Sot got the biggest cake of all in terms of inflated everything at that event.

vCash
    Julia! Way better wardrobe.

Actually, I think Julia has a great career in front of her. Unfortunately, Adelina will always be measured by her (suspicious) win at the Olympics. If she does poorly, it will be more ammunition for those who think she did not deserve OLY Gold, and if she does well, it will be viewed (unless she has one or two seasons of only Golds and Silvers) as an exception. (i.e. Michelle's losses were always an exception to her skating. A fluke).

Julia has none of that. She just takes the ice and is judged (by fans) for her skate and results.

As to her facial expressions. When she is skating I suspect she is concentrating. Has anyone considered that she is shy? I am shy. I can speak in front of hundreds, no problem, but don't make me go to a cocktail party! I am usually judged as haughty, snobby, stuck up, etc. But I know I am just scared and uncomfortable. Could be the same for Julia in the K&K. Just saying.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Sotnikova. She has an Olympic Gold Medal, it is still what everyone trains for. Figure skating is such a precarious sport, who knows what the future holds for these two, but Adelina already has the biggest prize, regardless of how controversial it is. Honestly, I doubt she has any second thoughts about the win, nor do most of her circle and fans in Russia.

vCash
    Julia has an Olympic gold too. So that is no edge for Sotnikova. If she had no second thoughts about her win she would have showed up at Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    If she had no second thoughts about her win she would have showed up at Worlds.
    I don't think that is true. It is not uncommon at all for gold medalists to not show up at Worlds. She may be capitalizing on other opportunities that winning the medal brought her. The time to do that is very short for most Olympians these days, you have to strike while the iron is hot. I'm not sure we would have seen Hanyu if Worlds was not in Japan. We didn't see V/T or D/W.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I don't think that is true. It is not uncommon at all for gold medalists to not show up at Worlds. She may be capitalizing on other opportunities that winning the medal brought her. The time to do that is very short for most Olympians these days, you have to strike while the iron is hot. I'm not sure we would have seen Hanyu if Worlds was not in Japan. We didn't see V/T or D/W.
    This is not true at all. It is very uncommon for an OGM who is not retiring or injured to skip worlds. The only previous one who did that ever was Sarah Hughes, if she even counts given her pitiful 1 year return to competition. Everyone else was retiring (most) or in rare cases out with injury. V&T were injured. D&W are retiring. Granted Sotnikova might be retiring too, but if she does that says even more about the doubts she has of her own win.

vCash
    But such a large number of gold medalists retire, it is very difficult to say what they might have done if they didn't retire. Gold medalists have a lot to do for the months that follow when they get home, and continuing to train would lose a lot of opportunities for them.

Lysacek (who didn't intend to retire at least) and Plushenko both skipped Worlds after a Gold medal, if I have my competitions straight. So Hughes would not be the only one to do so.

vCash
    Lysacek was definitely initially retired. He did have some half hearted "comeback" plans (which i never thought were serious or expected to come to pass but I know some will disagree with me), but that doesnt mean he wasnt retired for awhile. If you mean some skaters who win OGM take a break and come back I agree, but those skaters dont just skip worlds and come right back next season. They take worlds, plus atleast (usually much more) another whole season off.

Yeah alot do retire, but alot stay in, and all those who stay in go to worlds (except possibly Sotnikova). Lets look at all those who either kept going or hadnt decided yet:

1984 Witt- went to worlds
    1984 Hamilton- went to worlds, despite knowing it was his final one.
    1984 Valova & Vasiliev- went to worlds despite the huge risk of facing Underhill in Ottawa
    1984 Torvill & Dean- went to worlds, and it was their last one ever.
    1988 Witt- went to worlds, despite knowing she was retiring.
    1988 Boitano- went to worlds, and they were his last.
    1988 Bestemianova & Bukin- went to worlds, knowing it was the end.
    1988 Gordeeva & Grinkov- went to worlds, and continued competing.
    1992 Yamaguchi- wasnt sure if she was continuing, went to worlds which turned out to be last.
    1992 Petrenko- went to worlds, knowing they would probably be his last.
    1992 Miskutienok & Dmitriev- went to worlds, knowing they would probably be their last
    1992 Klimova & Ponomarenko- went to worlds, knowing it was the end.
    1994 Gordeeva & Grinkov- didnt go to worlds, came back only for Olympics all along.
    1994 Baiul- knew she was retiring so didnt go to worlds.
    1994 Urmanov- went to worlds and continued competing another 5 years.
    1994 Gritschuk & Platov- went to worlds and continued competing another 4 years
    1998 Kulik- knew he was retiring so didnt go to worlds.
    1998 Kazhakova & Dmitriev- knew they were retiring but went to worlds anyway, but had to WD with stomach flu.
    1998 Gritschuk & Platov- knew they were splitting up so didnt go to worlds.
    1998 Lipinski- retired before worlds even began.
    2002 pairs- both teams knew they were retiring, didnt go to worlds.
    2002 Yagudin- didnt know if he was staying in, but went to worlds.
    2002 Hughes- mentioned already.
    2002 Anissina & Peizerat- knew they were retiring so didnt go to worlds.
    2006 Totmianina & Marinin- knew long before Games that was their final event.
    2006 Navka & Kostomarov- ditto above.
    2006 Plushenko- was planning on retiring or taking very long break. Was still planning to go worlds but missed with knee injury.
    2006 Arakawa- knew Olympics were final event.
    2010 Virtue & Moir- knew they were continuing so knew they were always going to worlds.
    2010 Shen & Zhao- came back only for Olympics and Olympic Gold.
    2010 Lysacek- was planning on retiring or taking long break. Supposably began comeback plans in winter 2012, but never competed again.
    2010 Kim- didnt even think she was continuing, but still went to presumably final worlds. As it turns out did compete some more in later years.
    2014 Hanyu- knew he was continuing and always knew he would go to worlds.
    2014 Davis & White- are retiring, but still were planning on final worlds until DWTS phoned.
    2014 Volosozhar & Trankov- were planning on going to worlds, but with his injury had to miss.

So as you can see a large number- Witt (first time), G&G (first time), Yamaguchi (although plans changed), Urmanov, G&P (first time), Yagudin, V&M, are all skaters who planned to keep going and still went to worlds. All except Hughes if she even counts, and Sotnikova if she even continues. Then even of the huge number of who were expecting to not continue, so would have every reason to bypass worlds, most of them also went to worlds anyway. So Sotnikova if she is planning to continue, is most unusual indeed.
    Last edited by KimGOAT; 04-07-2014 at 08:33 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    If she had no second thoughts about her win she would have showed up at Worlds.
    If that is your criterion, V&T and D&W should have second thoughts about their gold medals, right?

vCash
    I have ever read at FSU that Adelina's skipping WC was Russia federation's decision and Adelina herself wanted to go to WC.
    So those who have second thoughts about her win seem to be RSF, not (team) Adelina.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crisp View Post
    I have ever read at FSU that Adelina's skipping WC was Russia federation's decision and Adelina herself wanted to go to WC.
    So those who have second thoughts about her win seem to be RSF, not (team) Adelina.
    If so that was a mistake on the RSF part. They denied Adelina the chance to continue her momentum from Sochi, a great showing at worlds would have erased some of the raging controversy from Sochi, and inadvertently cast more doubt towards her at the same time.

vCash
    Sotnikova by far. Olympic gold >>>>>>>>>>>>> world silver, grand prix final silver, European gold. Sotnikova is the Olympic champion people, get over it, since it doesnt mean shit all what you think of it. I thought she should have been bronze behind Kim and Kostner but that doesnt mean anything, fact is she is gold whether you like it or not. Olympic team medal is worthless and means nothing for anyone.

vCash
    How does Lipnitskaya have any votes let alone winning this poll. Are you freaking insane people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by staceyliving View Post
    How does Lipnitskaya have any votes let alone winning this poll. Are you freaking insane people.
    Simple. Because people rather have a less achieved career of Yulia than a more achieved from Adelina but bonus legion of antifans in everywhere

vCash
    If you pick Sotnikova it is only due the Olympic singles gold. Julia's career trumps her in every other way, so I guess it again comes down to the Olympic gold value discussed with Lysacek, Kim and others. This case is even more unique though as Lipnitskaya also has an Olympic gold, even if the probably less prestigous team one, and regardless your personal views unfortunately there is a stain on Sotnikova's gold from all the controversy. All that said I would pick Julia at this moment.

vCash
    I love Julia but I voted Sotnikova. She skated very very good at olympics, in front of home crowd and deserved a olympic medal. If she only won a olympic silver or bronze I could have voted her. Of course world medals are important but considering how Kostner is happy with a olympic bronze, how Shen/Zhao come back for another olympic medal or how important for athletes to be in olympics, I can't help but thinks olympic medal of Sotnikova is more precious.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast