Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    This thread is hysterical. The off-season is officially here!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Is there any single category Fumie has the edge on Sasha in achievements? Not Olympic results, world results, grand prix final results, grand prix results.

vCash
    Fumie has had the better career since she can look at herself in the mirror and know she was all she could be. She was a just good skater who won 3 world medals. If anything she surpassed her potential.

Sasha could have been and done so much more. That makes her a failure in a sense.

In terms of medals and accomplishements Sasha has had the way better career, but I look at it from a different perspective. I bet Fumie is alot happier with her career than Sasha who probably has haunting demons of "what if" the rest of her life. Fumie is probably thrilled with what she achieved and totally at peace with it, as she knows she could have done nothing more. She wasnt even that good to begin with, strictly a good second tier contender at best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    In his most recent "I say out loud what most people think" interview, Trankov was like "4cc = Euros? "

Anywho, what I was trying to say was that people keep acting like GPF is some "only the best" event that will then predict how Oly and/or worlds will go down, and it simply ain't true. Like saying that the team event meant Yulia was going to win the individual event. YuNa wasn't even there! Malinia won a GPF that Kwan wasn't even at, and look what happened a few weeks later. Kwan Silver. Malinina no medal. It ain't = worlds n matter how much people keep trying to spin it. And please with the "it's not a show event, it's so hard to qualify for". People don't even get invited to cheesefests unless that have a good resume. Talk about hard to qualify for. $peedy invented the GPF to steal skaters and TV $$ from the pro events. It's the one cheesefest the ISU runs for themselves.
    The grand prix final is a pretty big event I think. It was set up to bring a real season to skating, and not just a bunch of nothing and a worlds one year. The grand prix final is the culmination of that long fall season, which has been a big part of expanding the sport. So based on that alone it has to be pretty big.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fracturedleg View Post
    Fumie has had the better career since she can look at herself in the mirror and know she was all she could be. She was a just good skater who won 3 world medals. If anything she surpassed her potential.

Sasha could have been and done so much more. That makes her a failure in a sense.

In terms of medals and accomplishements Sasha has had the way better career, but I look at it from a different perspective. I bet Fumie is alot happier with her career than Sasha who probably has haunting demons of "what if" the rest of her life. Fumie is probably thrilled with what she achieved and totally at peace with it, as she knows she could have done nothing more. She wasnt even that good to begin with, strictly a good second tier contender at best.
    Although, it seems like Sasha has been able to move on and take her life in a different direction whereas Fumie is still competing hoping to qualify for Nationals (although Sasha did try to make that come back in 2010). I've defended Fumie on many occasions on that front because I hate it when people try to dictate how other people should live their lives even though they have no real investment in it, but it seems Fumie still has some reason that is driving her to continue on. Maybe it's a love of competition, and she's lucky enough to be sponsored to continue competing.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Although, it seems like Sasha has been able to move on and take her life in a different direction whereas Fumie is still competing hoping to qualify for Nationals (although Sasha did try to make that come back in 2010). I've defended Fumie on many occasions on that front because I hate it when people try to dictate how other people should live their lives even though they have no real investment in it, but it seems Fumie still has some reason that is driving her to continue on. Maybe it's a love of competition, and she's lucky enough to be sponsored to continue competing.
    Good points. I presume Fumie's skating today has nothing to do with real competitive goals though, never mind chasing past dreams unfulfilled- Olympic medal, world title, both which she just missed in her career. If she is still skating for serious competitive goals beyond maybe the challenge of just trying to reach Nationals or still do certain triples at her age, or heaven forbid is even fantasizing over things like the elusive Olympic medal and world title, then I take back all I said and hope she sees a shrink ASAP. The very idea of that is so far fetched though I dont even consider it, and assume she is just skating for the love of skating at this point.

vCash
    I wonder how true is it that Fumie has been blacklisted from touring in Japan by Shizuka.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I wonder how true is it that Fumie has been blacklisted from touring in Japan by Shizuka.
    Ouch. That would be incredibly cruel of Shizuka to do. I hope that isnt a true story. I know the two of them are not fond of each other, but I always thought Shizuka was a good person and wouldnt do something like that.

It must burn Fumie though that Shizuka became the much stronger skater, despite that Fumie was the stronger skater about 90% of their career. Shizuka simply reached a level in the end though far beyond what Fumie ever did. I wonder if that is why they dont get along.

vCash
    Ouch. That would be incredibly cruel of Shizuka to do. I hope that isnt a true story. I know the two of them are not fond of each other, but I always thought Shizuka was a good person and wouldnt do something like that.

It must burn Fumie though that Shizuka became the much stronger skater, despite that Fumie was the stronger skater about 90% of their career. Shizuka simply reached a level in the end though far beyond what Fumie ever did. I wonder if that is why they dont get along.
    I heard as far back as 2001 that many skaters on the Japanese national team didn't get along with Fumie because she acted very divalike and always had an obnoxious entourage. It's funny how on online forums it's become all about Shizuka when Yoshie and Yukari and Yukina were other names that I heard thrown around as not liking Fumie. I guess the Olympic champ gets all the glory...and blame.

vCash
    Hmm I never heard that about Fumie until now. Although she does strike me as very driven, but perhaps not a realist in assessing herself, either as a skater or beyond. If she does consider herself this bad ass star, then she probably does have some delusionals of self grandeur about herself.

vCash
    I sort of wonder if Fumie just had a different personality and didn't fit in with Shizuka's popular girls clique. Or maybe it wasn't really a clique and Fumie just turned people off in general (or didn't fit in with the Japanese skating girl culture). There are some people like that.

vCash

I disagree with the bolded parts, I think it's more the other way around, if fumie was satisfied with her career, she would not want to continue to skate competitively even through her body isn't capable of it anymore, and when she and her family seem unable to finance the cost of it.
    I always had the impression that sasha looks satisfied and happy in all the interviews and appearances she made. Fumie on the other hand most have felt very bitter after torino, when arakawa won, she clearly considered herself a better skater heading into the competition, and I also think that she still considered herself a better skater after the competition, I think she never forgave herself for underperforming and in her mind also underachieving.
    Even looking at their career now, Arakawa seems much more succesful, she often appears in various skating shows, and talk shows, works as a commentator ect. where fumie on the other hand never appears in any, don't know if it's because she isn't invited or because she declines any invitation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by staceyliving View Post
    Is there any single category Fumie has the edge on Sasha in achievements? Not Olympic results, world results, grand prix final results, grand prix results.
    Fumie has three 4CC titles from from 2000, 2002, and 2004

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy03 View Post
    Fumie has three 4CC titles from from 2000, 2002, and 2004
    It's actually from 2001, 2003 & 2005.
    Nikodinov won 2000
    Kirk won 2002
    Ota won 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Co..._Championships

The only main difference between Cohen and Suguri's reccords is Cohen's OSM. If not, they are almost even. Fumie gave several performances that went under the radar but overall much more clean/great skates than Cohen whom almost always would fail at one or more things. I mean, there's no way on paper she would lost the bronze in Washington to Fumie for example.

Two special performances by Suguri :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX21Vo5LTKE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_T91XIiB7w (poor quality but couldn't find a better one) for me, clearly the second best skate of the night. Still she ends up seventh only because of her qualifying round.

Also, as a skater, I find Fumie better. Cohen has some amazing tricks and she sure catch the camera's eyes with great ease. Still, from a pure skating perspective, Cohen's skating is not very good IMO and her jumps have poor technic.

Suguri loves skating, that's why she still does ; I'd like those who do would stop to make fun out of it just because they can't do it themselves. Stop also analysing anything as if in the skater's mind. Reading some post it's like she shaves every morning thinking how to win a world title. Good for you if you can read people's mind but I can't help thinking it would be wiser to make some real profit out of it.

vCash
    Fumie shaves every morning?
    Is she shiz's baby daddy and that's why they fight: child support?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nours View Post
    It's actually from 2001, 2003 & 2005.
    Nikodinov won 2000
    Kirk won 2002
    Ota won 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Co..._Championships

The only main difference between Cohen and Suguri's reccords is Cohen's OSM. If not, they are almost even. Fumie gave several performances that went under the radar but overall much more clean/great skates than Cohen whom almost always would fail at one or more things. I mean, there's no way on paper she would lost the bronze in Washington to Fumie for example.

Two special performances by Suguri :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX21Vo5LTKE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_T91XIiB7w (poor quality but couldn't find a better one) for me, clearly the second best skate of the night. Still she ends up seventh only because of her qualifying round.

Also, as a skater, I find Fumie better. Cohen has some amazing tricks and she sure catch the camera's eyes with great ease. Still, from a pure skating perspective, Cohen's skating is not very good IMO and her jumps have poor technic.

Suguri loves skating, that's why she still does ; I'd like those who do would stop to make fun out of it just because they can't do it themselves. Stop also analysing anything as if in the skater's mind. Reading some post it's like she shaves every morning thinking how to win a world title. Good for you if you can read people's mind but I can't help thinking it would be wiser to make some real profit out of it.
    Your right it's from 2001, 2003 and 2005. The two performances you posted of Fumie were incredible.

Sasha flexibility and extension is amazing and it made her very memorable for the viewers, these aspects of her skating also made her stand out, and somehow her strength always seemed like it was well highlighted in her programs and how they were constructed choreographically. Now it has to be said I really appreciate things like good flexibility and extensions I think it adds soo much not only technically but also artistically. but when that is said I personally think fumie seems to listen more to the music and is somehow more connected to it, her skating is very passionate, and she has good speed.

You mentioned that some of Fumies performances went under the radar, but that's understandable given the deep field japan has had for so many years now, afterall she was only óne out of many very talented skaters at the time.

vCash
    I disagree with the bolded parts, I think it's more the other way around, if fumie was satisfied with her career, she would not want to continue to skate competitively even through her body isn't capable of it anymore, and when she and her family seem unable to finance the cost of it.
    I always had the impression that sasha looks satisfied and happy in all the interviews and appearances she made. Fumie on the other hand most have felt very bitter after torino, when arakawa won, she clearly considered herself a better skater heading into the competition, and I also think that she still considered herself a better skater after the competition, I think she never forgave herself for underperforming and in her mind also underachieving.
    Even looking at their career now, Arakawa seems much more succesful, she often appears in various skating shows, and talk shows, works as a commentator ect. where fumie on the other hand never appears in any, don't know if it's because she isn't invited or because she declines any invitation.
    That is interesting. Well in that case Fume is wrong. By 2006 she was not the better skater of the two. The better competitor at times maybe.

vCash
    That is interesting. Well in that case Fume is wrong. By 2006 she was not the better skater of the two. The better competitor at times maybe.
    Whether we think Fumie is right or wrong feeling that way, won't change how she probably felt at the time, but regardless the JSF made the right choice sending Arakawa to the Olympics, in the end Arakawa proved to be very reliable.

vCash
    Whether we think Fumie is right or wrong feeling that way, won't change how she probably felt at the time, but regardless the JSF made the right choice sending Arakawa to the Olympics, in the end Arakawa proved to be very reliable.
    Hmm were they actually considering not sending her. I dont see how they could have. Asada wasnt eligible for the Games, and even Ando who was 6th at Nationals and also had not had any real results for awhile was sent.

vCash
    :O OMG

Shizuka has always come off so mature and classy, not catty at all
    And Fumie seems to have a good relationship with the American skaters like Sasha and Michelle

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast