Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MNC View Post
    Someone needs to hand Gwendal the Blu-ray sets of seasons 1 & 2 of House of Cards (since Netflix isn't available in France yet)

Disappointing result. But at least he stood and provided another option. It is a democracy and maybe that is what the French Federation wants. As most of us are not there how do we know how it operates.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    He got more votes than I thought he would.
    Keep at it, Gwendal.

vCash
    Judging by the amount of criticism of how Didier runs his federation, one would be tempted to think that most of those who are involved in the sport of figure skating in France would want to get rid of him as soon as they can and elect a new face but the recent 65% of vote just comes to show that Didier still enjoys the support of quite a few skating clubs and officials in his country. Puzzling to say the least.

vCash
    Unfortunately, it seems pretty certain that they only way to pry Gailhaguet away from the FFSG is if he sets his sights on the ISU

vCash
    Please do me a favor and point out exactly where I said that she is the only person I would have banned.

Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    And you would have banned her and not the other 4 judges who voted for the russians ? Why ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Judging by the amount of criticism of how Didier runs his federation, one would be tempted to think that most of those who are involved in the sport of figure skating in France would want to get rid of him as soon as they can and elect a new face but the recent 65% of vote just comes to show that Didier still enjoys the support of quite a few skating clubs and officials in his country. Puzzling to say the least.
    It might be puzzling to us but not those who voted.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Maybe the amount of criticism are the minority. We tend to think that those who speaks out and complain are in majority.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantide View Post
    Maybe the amount of criticism are the minority. We tend to think that those who speaks out and complain are in majority.
    This.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantide View Post
    No you're wrong. The fact is that DG has got plenty of good files on the presindents of certain clubs to make sure he wins (as an example Bercy is his pet).
    And making sure certain clubs couldn't vote gave him an easy win...
    Last edited by MarieM; 06-23-2014 at 04:40 PM.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post

It is a democracy ...
    No it isn't! The French fed is the North Korea of the figure skating world. A one-man institution.

I agree with skatesindreams, Gwendal got more votes than one would have expected. 34% is quite something! Congratulations to him!
    Last edited by Asli; 06-23-2014 at 06:03 PM.

vCash
    North Korea ? LOL
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    There is an IFS article about how the French Federation conducts their elections - the voting is done by club and the number of votes per club is based on their membership. Gwendal, I believe, got support from more clubs but they were the smaller ones unfortunately. Read more here: http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/...ident-election
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Back in 2010, after being the target of harsh criticism from the then secretary of state for sports on account of the poor results of the French skating in Vancouver, Gailhaguet won the election for a new term by 88% of the votes. If DG loses 23% of the votes on every election, he will surely be pushed off his armchair four years from now. lol Looks like what Didier's next opponent will have to do is conquer the large clubs and I suggest that opponent should try to steal from Gailhaguet the good files he has on their presidents. If MarieM was implying that Didier would be blackmailing corrupt club presidents to make sure he wins, well, the French have this saying "Tel maître, tel valet".

Now seriously, I tend to agree with Zemgirl that Gailhaguet will never leave the helm of the French Fed unless he is appointed/elected in a higher position and I clearly remember a couple of FSU members posted a while ago that DH would make a fine ISU president because he is a good manager and he knows figure skating.

Gwendal's 34% proves that the French Fed is not North Korea though but I'm afraid that this defeat might prevent him from ever running again.

vCash
    ^^ Why would being defeated the first time one runs, prevent one from ever running again?

vCash
    I suspect there is no rule that would forbid Gwendal to run again but those who lose presidential elections once usually don't give it another try. It's a matter of image.

vCash
    ^^ Is this a French thing then, this "image" thingy?

No correlation, but I was just thinking of another example: Richard Nixon ran and lost against John Kennedy and then kind of disappeared until he came back to run again and win! Of course his despotic tendencies and paranoia had him leaving office in disgrace before his full eight years were up.

Would that Cinquanta's despotism, power-hungry machinations, and inept knowledge of figure skating would have him leaving office in disgrace!!!

Not voting for Gwendal is the French Federation's loss! Figure skating is so status quo, to its own detriment.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 06-23-2014 at 08:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    No it isn't! The French fed is the North Korea of the figure skating world. A one-man institution.
    Hmmm if it was like North Korea Didier would have got 100% of the vote.

vCash
    I clearly remember a couple of FSU members posted a while ago that DH would make a fine ISU president because he is a good manager and he knows figure skating.
    Easy to put things out of context.

In my case it was written "compare to Cinquanta" after or before. Which is totally different than what you imply.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Hmmm if it was like North Korea Didier would have got 100% of the vote.
    There would also be enormous banners and portraits of Didier hanging at every skating rink. (Maybe there are? I've never been to a rink in France.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nours View Post
    Easy to put things out of context.

In my case it was written "compare to Cinquanta" after or before. Which is totally different than what you imply.
    I don't know what you think I was implying but if Gailhaguet is thought as good enough to run the international skating, why wouldn't he be good enough to run the French skating?

Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Is this a French thing then, this "image" thingy?
    I'm not French, my comment just stems from observing presidential elections around the world. I said "usually" because I know there were some exceptions but generally speaking, political parties try to avoid to nominate a candidate who was defeated before because I assume it's pretty hard to campaign again for a "loser". I think Marie-Reine Le Gougne called the result a regal slap in Gwendal's face? Or did I get her words wrong?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast