Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Yuka Sato's Fantastic Sam haircut was the perfect foundation to hang her Hat full of Stars on.

I recall Baiul once skating in a duck costume, throwing a phone, and showing up to an event in Miami wearing a panty girdle as outerwear and looking 55. All I recall of Lillehammer was that apparently didn't get the memo that it was 1994, not 1984 when styling her hair, and that her dress looked like the Easter bunny mated with a chicken.

Nancy Kerrigan at least had fairly good hair. I can't comment on her "Man, I feel like a woman!" program she did later, because I was curled up in a ball in a corner.

Artur Dmietriev is hot, and Oksana Kazakova has a great profile.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    As much as I love B&S I'm still annoyed that they never could skate any of their Olympic programmes clean and S&P were not in the same league in my books. In my view G&G and M&D are the 2 best pairs teams of all time.
    But I was talking about more than just top 2 of 2002. In fact, there's also S&Z who came oh-so-close to that throw quad and had a beautiful program - their first year as developing artistes. 4th to 6th placed pairs also went clean IIRC. And besides S&Z (who would develop into legends), down the list of results hid 6 more future Olympic / World champions / medalists in the next 3 Olympic quad - P&T (RUS), I&Z, T&M, Z&Z, P&T (CHN), Savchenko (skating with Morosov in 2002).

Very much similar to 1994 Olympics in depth of field which featured B&E, S&N, M&S, K&N, W&S (w/d), Berezhnaya with old partner, Ina with old partner, Sale with old partner in addition to the top two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    Yuka Sato's Fantastic Sam haircut was the perfect foundation to hang her Hat full of Stars on.
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    I recall Baiul once skating in a duck costume, throwing a phone
    Oh I must see this program.

vCash
    When talking best ever you cant ignore the Protoppopovs who are the true innovators of modern pairs skating in many ways. As vile a her style could be Irina Rodnina for pushing the technical side of pairs skating and her amazing longevity and competitiveness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    When talking best ever you cant ignore the Protoppopovs who are the true innovators of modern pairs skating in many ways. As vile a her style could be Irina Rodnina for pushing the technical side of pairs skating and her amazing longevity and competitiveness.
    I don't think Rodnina will ever allow anyone to forget about her. She is everywhere! Whereas Artur Dmitriev who practically matched her Olympic achievements is very modest and hardly anyone (apart from die hard skating fans) knows about what he has brought to pair skating

vCash
    Rodnina is still deeply passionate about Russian pairs skating though. She made an impassioned plea for Piseev to stop down after the failures of Vancouver, and he sort of did but then created a new position for himself that gave him ever more power. Oh well, atleast in his own perverse methods he got russian skating back on track I guess.

vCash
    Hmmm... I'm not a Rodnina fan because of her political involvements which I find repulsive, but she is undeniably a legend and her competitive results will never be matched

vCash
    Hmmm... I'm not a Rodnina fan because of her political involvements which I find repulsive, but she is undeniably a legend and her competitive results will never be matched
    You mean her anti gay campaigning? I find that odd since Toller Cranston lists her as a good friend.

vCash
    You mean her anti gay campaigning? I find that odd since Toller Cranston lists her as a good friend.
    Anti-gay, racist and pro-Putin = not a good mix

vCash
    Anti-gay, racist and pro-Putin = not a good mix
    I wonder why Cranston calls her a beautiful human being (and he means on the inside of course, for me she is closer to beautiful on the outside than inside, but beautiful neither way). I dont see it at all. She seems like a huge bigot and a nasty human being, even if a legend in skating.

vCash
    Never mind - I found out... re: Rodnina racism. Fcuking hag.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    What has Rodnina said that makes her anti-gay and a racist?
    She praised the anti gay Putin law put in. I dont remember the racist parts exactly, I think it was something that she didnt oppose black slavery. Xela M probably has the answer to this.

vCash
    She praised the anti gay Putin law put in. I dont remember the racist parts exactly, I think it was something that she didnt oppose black slavery. Xela M probably has the answer to this.
    The Twitter pic of President Obama eating the banana was enough for me...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    The Twitter pic of President Obama eating the banana was enough for me...
    Ugh, that is disgusting. Nasty women.

Going back to her skating for a moment one thing I wasnt impressed by was how a team who relied totally on their technical ability (her and her teams artistry was always awful) it was pretty pathetic she never did a throw jump at a time many of her main competitors were doing 2, 3, or even 4.

vCash
    I wonder why Cranston calls her a beautiful human being (and he means on the inside of course, for me she is closer to beautiful on the outside than inside, but beautiful neither way). I dont see it at all. She seems like a huge bigot and a nasty human being, even if a legend in skating.
    Toller is a fantastically talented skater, and his books are fun gossipy fluff, but he really was Johnny Weir before Johnny was even born. 80% of the what he says is pure nonsense.

The protopopovs, G&G, m&d, B&S were all amazing skaters, truly beautiful to behold, but la rodnina's real legacy to the sport is this idea that no matter what, the sun will always rise in the morning, set in the evening, and a Russian pair will be ogm.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    T&D made radical changes after not winning the FD at Europeans. I always wondered why U&Z didn't change theirs as well after coming in 2nd (or was was it 3rd?) there. It looked the same to me.

vCash
    Well the changes T&D made didnt exactly work out well did it, so perhaps U&Z were smart to not change even if they ended up losing the Olympic Gold in the end as well. I think it was T&D who made a mistake changing everything after WINNING Europeans, and after the changes they got lower marks at the Olympics than they had at Europeans and 3rd place.

As for U&Z they lost Europeans by a flukish ordinal flip (they initially beat T&D in the FD, and G&P who won the FD were too far back to win, but an ordinal flip by G&P pushed U&Z behind T&D in the FD and dropped them to 3rd instead of 1st overall), otherwise would have won. So maybe they thought they only got unlucky there and didnt need a big change, but ended up wrong in the end ultimately. Anyway they hated each other so much by then, they probably wanted to spend as little time on the ice together as possible, even as they entered the biggest competiton of their careers. New programs or big changes = even more time together in practice and on the ice. Maya was so upset with the silver though she didnt even attend the post event medalists press conference and Zhulin was there alone.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 04-10-2014 at 07:45 PM.

vCash
    Looking at the Europeans results and the Olympics results, it seems that Torvill & Dean had an unbeatable OD, Grishuk & Platov had an unbeatable free dance, and the overall results came down to the the CDs and how the other two teams fared against each other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Looking at the Europeans results and the Olympics results, it seems that Torvill & Dean had an unbeatable OD, Grishuk & Platov had an unbeatable free dance, and the overall results came down to the the CDs and how the other two teams fared against each other.
    Pretty much. U&Z all but lost their chance at gold when G&P ended the CDs tied for 1st rather than tied for 2nd like they had at Europeans. They now had to hope for Rahkammo & Kokko to beat G&P in the OD as U&Z beating T&D in the OD or G&P in the FD seemed unlikely (although that said they very nearly did the latter to take the gold).

It is funny U&Z came closer to T&D in the OD at Europeans than the Olympics, when I thought they skated their OD much better at the Olympics than they had at Europeans. Maybe they were hurt by skating first in the 2nd last flight where T&D skated second last in the last flight.

vCash
    I found it natural that U+Z changed their style in 1994. They wanted to show their edge; it worked for their K+P in 1992.

But it's also true their mutual loathing became palatable, and Z was putting more effort into "coaching" Navka than prepping for the most important competition... Four hours a day en route to another ice rink, it's said.

Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast