Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    That's not awkward and withdrawn, that's self-obsessed and disgraceful. Give me Tonya over Nancy anyday
    I hope your children grow up to be just like Tonya. Start saving for bail money now.

vCash
    Nobody is as self-obsessed and disgraced as Tonya Harding is in this sport.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I hope your children grow up to be just like Tonya. Start saving for bail money now.
    No way. Let them rot in jail

vCash
    Having re-watched the 1994 pairs competition last night ( ) I am still in shock over the extremely high quality of the skating. I have never seen a similar pairs competition since. It's as if everyone skated their absolute best that night and the 2 top teams were simply breathtaking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    Having re-watched the 1994 pairs competition last night ( ) I am still in shock over the extremely high quality of the skating. I have never seen a similar pairs competition since. It's as if everyone skated their absolute best that night and the 2 top teams were simply breathtaking.
    I think 2002 pairs were pretty amazing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I think 2002 pairs were pretty amazing.
    As much as I love B&S I'm still annoyed that they never could skate any of their Olympic programmes clean and S&P were not in the same league in my books. In my view G&G and M&D are the 2 best pairs teams of all time.
    Last edited by Xela M; 04-04-2014 at 01:10 PM.

vCash
    The ladies free should have been:

Chen
    Sato
    Kerrigan
    Baiul

I would also accept Sato over Chen as Chen's spins were a little under.

The mens free should have been:

Petrenko
    Browning
    Urmanov
    Boitano
    Stojko

Of course I am looking at it with the benefit of hindsight, as skaters in the penultimate would not be given marks that can hold up. But in any event, Urmanov over Stojko is a given. Even the judges agree - it was an 8-1 split between them.

Giving the free to G&G over M&D is the same reason basically as giving it to B&S over S&P in 2002.

vCash
    Chen was the definition of mediocre that point. Little jumps, not much artistry. Wouldnt have ahead of any of Kerrigan, Sato, or Baiul in the free skate. I probably would have given Bonaly the bronze since even with her 2 big mistakes and Chen's clean skate Bonaly landed some much harder jumps- two super difficult triple-triples for instance.

vCash
    I rewatched Sato's free skate to see what all the fuss was about, and I don't get it. It was very sloppy and frantic a la Ashley Wagner's free skates. I think people are thinking of how well Sato skated as a pro and the beautiful pro skater she grew into and not what she put on the ice in Lillehammer. Sloppy skate. I don't get it.

vCash
    I'm a sucker for great basics (skating skills, jump technique, spin positions/centering/speed). Sato also landed more triples than Kerrigan and Baiul. In terms of choreography, I think she had the most pure routine in terms of using actual skating moves and utilizing her blades. She was also really fast out there on the ice (especially compared to someone like Kerrigan who was slower than I remembered). That goes a long way for me.

Lu Chen had little jumps? I need to reevaluate her jumps, but I remember Chen having some pretty big jumps there.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I'm a sucker for great basics (skating skills, jump technique, spin positions/centering/speed). Sato also landed more triples than Kerrigan and Baiul. In terms of choreography, I think she had the most pure routine in terms of using actual skating moves and utilizing her blades. She was also really fast out there on the ice (especially compared to someone like Kerrigan who was slower than I remembered). That goes a long way for me.

Lu Chen had little jumps? I need to reevaluate her jumps, but I remember Chen having some pretty big jumps there.
    She does have great basics but blah...sloppy skate...very wild and frantic.

Lulu had big jumps, especially when she was younger. Some of the other skaters even nicknamed her the pogo stick because that's how she looked on the ice in the early 90s.

vCash
    Anyone but Kerrigan. I dont care who it is was, as long as it wasnt her. Baiul, Chen, Sato, anyone else who skated at all decent. Kerrigan would be the worst Olympic Champion ever, topping Sotnikova this year. There is nothing to her skating, not impressive jumps, not impressive artistry, only fair basics, awful spins.

vCash
    It's funny to think that this period is often cited to being particularly weak since Kerrigan almost won gold. However, the 1994 Olympic Ladies class certainly benefitted from Whack exposure to skating and in hindsight were a great class to have in terms of post-Olympic, professional marketing. They all seemed to be the right mix of personalities and nationalities that was marketable to Scott Hamilton's shows and fluffy pro competitions.

vCash
    It's funny to think that this period is often cited to being particularly weak since Kerrigan almost won gold. However, the 1994 Olympic Ladies class certainly benefitted from Whack exposure to skating and in hindsight were a great class to have in terms of post-Olympic, professional marketing. They all seemed to be the right mix of personalities and nationalities that was marketable to Scott Hamilton's shows and fluffy pro competitions.
    The 1994 ladies field I thought was one of the deepest. You had Baiul, Sato, Chen, Chouinard, Harding, Kerrigan, Bonaly all in the field, and all at or near their best (well maybe not Tonya). All the more reason it would have been a huge waste to award the Olympic Gold in such a deep field to average generic Nancy.

vCash
    I think you can add Witt too. She wasn't at her technical best, but artistically, she was way better than what she was in her competitive peak.

vCash
    I think you can add Witt too. She wasn't at her technical best, but artistically, she was way better than what she was in her competitive peak.
    I agree. The terrible Ukraine judge who gave Baiul a 5.9 for technical merit also gave Witt a 5.1 for artistry. Her program was really the best of the night artistically though.

vCash
    It seems obvious that Irina was robbed in SLC.

vCash
    Going into the Olympics, I could name nine women who had the potential to medal. I think the "Nancy Kerrigan and Friends" TV special that served as Olympic sendoff and welcome back to the ice after the whack injury had pretty much the same list.
    They did end up top 9 at the event, although Harding was 10th in the short.

Many of the lower-ranked skaters, including Rechnio who was 9th in the short, I hadn't heard of before I got to Hamar because at that time my knowledge of the international field was still dependent on whatever US TV networks chose to show.

vCash
    I thought their were 7 women who had potential to medal. I didnt count Witt since I knew her difficulty would never allow it even in a splatfest, and didnt count Harding who I knew due to Kerrigan skategate would never be given a medal no matter how she skated, and how bad everyone else did. Normally I would have said 8. Szewcenko I gave a real long shot.

There were 5 women I thought could win gold going in- Kerrigan, Baiul, Chen, Sato, and Bonaly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabybackhand View Post
    Chen was the definition of mediocre that point. Little jumps, not much artistry. Wouldnt have ahead of any of Kerrigan, Sato, or Baiul in the free skate. I probably would have given Bonaly the bronze since even with her 2 big mistakes and Chen's clean skate Bonaly landed some much harder jumps- two super difficult triple-triples for instance.
    Chen had the solid basics, complex choreography and musicality that Bonaly could only dream of. 2 3lutzes was a huge deal back then, too, as was a very, very late 3flip. Bonaly's so-called harder jumps weren't so clean. And let's face it. She didn't know what she was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I rewatched Sato's free skate to see what all the fuss was about, and I don't get it. It was very sloppy and frantic a la Ashley Wagner's free skates. I think people are thinking of how well Sato skated as a pro and the beautiful pro skater she grew into and not what she put on the ice in Lillehammer. Sloppy skate. I don't get it.
    I find her to be the most natural skater in the competition. Jumps were only okay but spins and footwork made up for it. Of course she was nowhere near as good as she was as a pro, but still heads above Kerrigan and Baiul in presentation. Baiul's posing hurts my soul. Use your freakin' edges.

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast