Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    I have to agree with this. Oksana Kazakova looked terrible. I guess they chose her, so she doesn't overshadow Artur who I thought was pretty hot (a 'man's man')
    Natalia Mishkutenok was quite pretty with long hair. I didn't think the short hair suited her.
    Oksana skated with a "scared" look on her face. She later built up more confidence and looked more relaxed but still carried herself pretty "stiff". She did look "obedient". To me Natalia was much prettier and a lot more feminine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think Artur Dmitriev was a great looking man, but he didn't age well (same thing with Oleg Ovsyannikov). I do think from the stories I heard about him and Moskvina, it sounds like she coddled him compared to the way Natalia was treated. Who knows the real story though.
    I find Oleg very attractive in his younger days, it's a shame that his looks went downhill as he aged

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nguyhm View Post
    Oksana skated with a "scared" look on her face. She later built up more confidence and looked more relaxed but still carried herself pretty "stiff". She did look "obedient". To me Natalia was much prettier and a lot more feminine.
    I don't think pretty had anything to do it. Personally, I feel uncomfortable with those kinds of remarks in sports discussions. I would say that Natalia had better ease of movement and perhaps felt more comfortable. By the time Oksana came long, this was no longer a partnership of equals, but a superstar skating with a nobody and quite frankly, Artur and Tamara got off on it, playing Henry Higgins and whatever his sidekicks name was. I wouldn't say they treated either woman very nicely.

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post

I don't think pretty had anything to do it. Personally, I feel uncomfortable with those kinds of remarks in sports discussions. I would say that Natalia had better ease of movement and perhaps felt more comfortable. By the time Oksana came long, this was no longer a partnership of equals, but a superstar skating with a nobody and quite frankly, Artur and Tamara got off on it, playing Henry Higgins and whatever his sidekicks name was.
    I definitely see that with Kazakova, and I feel like as a group they named that and even artistically expressed it in their Matrix program where she was the puppet. And, poetically, breaks free

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    I agree with this. I remember really looking back at the content of the two programs after 2002 and being utterly surprised at how little Oksana actually did. The problem is, I have such an irrational dislike for Kerrigan's skating, that, even to this day, I can't be anything other than grateful that she isn't an OGM.
    I highly doubt your dislike for her skating can be irrational given all that one can criticize: the stiffness, the wooden personality, the joyless facial expressions, the terrible music choices, the aerobic choreography, and so on. Her high presentation marks were always a joke to me. I do compliment her taste in dresses, her relatively solid technique, and the way she overcame adversity in 1994. Still, for someone so erratic in consistency, she managed to accomplish quite a lot, much more so than other skaters in history who were just as inconsistent. For Nancy, her success was all about timing and the good fortune to come up in the ranks during a time when ladies competition was rather weak outside of Midori Ito and Kristi Yamaguchi.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 04-03-2014 at 11:11 PM.

vCash
    Usova & Zhulin had an awful free dance and it was much weaker than Torvill & Dean and Grischuk & Platov performed that night, but since they were reigning world champions and it was their turn for the gold medal they should have been given it, and the judges were wrong not to. They are too great a team to not win an Olympic gold too, and Torvill & Dean already had one and Grischuk & Platov were almost certain to get in in the future, so even though their performance sucked that night, they should have given it for their overall careers.

I would given the womens gold to Witt since her winning her 3rd Olympic gold would be a better story and none of the women were even that good anyway, so why not. Baiul landed the same number of clean triples as Witt.

Men I would given to Urmanov since Stojko was so ugly while Alexei is quite handsome, and their skating was about the same.

Pairs I would given to Artur Dmitriev since he is hotter than Sergei, and the performances were about the same, so I go with the cuter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whispermink View Post
    Usova & Zhulin had an awful free dance and it was much weaker than Torvill & Dean and Grischuk & Platov performed that night, but since they were reigning world champions and it was their turn for the gold medal they should have been given it, and the judges were wrong not to. They are too great a team to not win an Olympic gold too, and Torvill & Dean already had one and Grischuk & Platov were almost certain to get in in the future, so even though their performance sucked that night, they should have given it for their overall careers.

I would given the womens gold to Witt since her winning her 3rd Olympic gold would be a better story and none of the women were even that good anyway, so why not. Baiul landed the same number of clean triples as Witt.

Men I would given to Urmanov since Stojko was so ugly while Alexei is quite handsome, and their skating was about the same.

Pairs I would given to Artur Dmitriev since he is hotter than Sergei, and the performances were about the same, so I go with the cuter.
    I love this Are you Balkov?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whispermink View Post
    Usova & Zhulin had an awful free dance and it was much weaker than Torvill & Dean and Grischuk & Platov performed that night, but since they were reigning world champions and it was their turn for the gold medal they should have been given it, and the judges were wrong not to.
    Absolutely disgusting rationale. Go watch a beauty pageant and leave the sports to people who enjoy a real athletic competition.

vCash
    Usova & Zhulin should have won since they were the only team to perform well in all phases. Torvill & Dean had weak compulsories this year that if anyone else had performed would have gotten 8th or 9th. Gritschuk & Platov had a weak OD that deserved no higher than 4th and should have taken them out of gold running, especialy when Usova & Zhulin did better compulsories too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Ladies:
    1. Baiul
    2. Chen
    3. Kerrigan
    Baiul the ladies gold and Kerrigan only bronze. Are you on crack. You do realize 99% of people think it was a disgrace Baiul beat Kerrigan for gold by just .1 of the point dont you. Now you are pushing Baiul well ahead on the podium too. Too funny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by platapus View Post
    Usova & Zhulin should have won since they were the only team to perform well in all phases. Torvill & Dean had weak compulsories this year that if anyone else had performed would have gotten 8th or 9th. Gritschuk & Platov had a weak OD that deserved no higher than 4th and should have taken them out of gold running, especialy when Usova & Zhulin did better compulsories too.
    Torvill & Dean's blues CD was hardly weak. Sure, they had some weak free leg positions but their chocktaw (sp?) was excellent. It was better than Usova & Zhulin's. I thought U&Z should've been 3rd in the blues CD. And U&Z's FD was not only cheesy but it was slow. My biggest criticism of them over the years has been their lack of content while they really improved upon that in 1994, look at how much their speed and flow cut back. That being said, there's of course a good argument for them to have been first and they didn't really break any rules unlike the other 2 couples in the free dance.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    I agree with this. I remember really looking back at the content of the two programs after 2002 and being utterly surprised at how little Oksana actually did. The problem is, I have such an irrational dislike for Kerrigan's skating, that, even to this day, I can't be anything other than grateful that she isn't an OGM.
    I just watched Oksana's LP for the first time since being bitterly disappointed in 1994. I think I've seen that "circular step sequence" in a Sonja Henie movie. If you keep your eye on the blade on the ice she's really not doing a whole lot at any point, and suddenly I have a new appreciation for Uncle Dick's feelings on ugly laybacks. I don't care who, I'd have put someone ahead of that.

vCash
    Sorry, but Kerrigan would have made the most awful OGM of all time... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oozUaizleQ

I love the comments underneath that video "Now we know WHY"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I don't care who, I'd have put someone ahead of that.
    At yet someone on this thread placed Oksana two places ahead of Nancy.

Princess Glee (TM)
    vCash
    I think the judges were distracted by what Baiul was doing above the waist during her programs and forgot to pay attention to what she was doing with her legs.
    Men and I are like pianos - when they get upright, I feel grand!

vCash
    Maybe the judges had a taste of Kerrigan's personality

Princess Glee (TM)
    vCash
    What personality?
    Men and I are like pianos - when they get upright, I feel grand!

vCash
    Give me sullen, awkward and withdrawn over a hysterical drama queen anyday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Give me sullen, awkward and withdrawn over a hysterical drama queen anyday.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oozUaizleQ

I love the comments underneath that video "Now we know WHY"
    That's not awkward and withdrawn, that's self-obsessed and disgraceful. Give me Tonya over Nancy anyday
    Last edited by Xela M; 04-04-2014 at 03:13 AM.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I could never get past Sato's ugly boy hair or her Fantastic Sam's haircut in general. And her costumes looked like something off a JCPenney Outlet store clearance rack. Oh if she had only had decent packaging....
    Maybe it was a Japanese thing, but all of their top ladies including Junko Yaginuma, Kumiko Kawai and Hanae Yokoya around 1994 appeared to have the same haircut and costume designer.

Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast