Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I think Lillehammer was the first completely professional figure skating Olympics. The sport was amateur before this. It changed everything, and opened all new cans of worms.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 04-01-2014 at 11:22 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    Back to the pairs... I read a recent interview with Artur Dmitriev in which he very graciously said that the right pair won in 1994. The more shocking bit was that it was suggested he should team up with Katia Gordeeva after Mishkutenov announced that she wanted to retire. Thankfully, he refused to even try out with Katia. I absolutely love Artur and he was in my opinion the best male pairs skater of all time, but that would not have been a good match.
    Sergei and Artur were very good friends. I agree with you that Artur and Katia would not have been a good match, Artur was better with someone more powerful and not as dainty as Katia. Natalia was the best match for him. Oksana was ok but it was not the same as M&D.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    In addition, Oksana also wrestled the sympathy vote away from Nancy with her practice collision with Tanja Szewczenko earlier that day. Oksana was quite skilled at turning up the theatrics and hysteria so it benefited her.
    Her life story as an orphan sleeping in the ice rink until her coach took her in could have made an impact.... - for me anyway since that stuck in my mind more than her skating . As for bad hairdo, Oksana wins with that frizzy bang . Although I have to admit that her "artistry" was a breadth of fresh air at the time.
    Last edited by nguyhm; 04-01-2014 at 02:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyhm View Post
    Sergei and Artur were very good friends. I agree with you that Artur and Katia would not have been a good match, Artur was better with someone more powerful and not as dainty as Katia. Natalia was the best match for him. Oksana was ok but it was not the same as M&D.
    I never liked Oksana Kazakova, but funnily enough Artur was more generous when speaking about her in interviews than he ever was about Natalia. In fact, he said that Oksana was a lot more passionate and artistic on the ice than Natalia, which I really can't see

I know Artur was great friends with both Sergei and Katia and I remember her supporting him in Nagano when he won with Oksana. Even if Artur and Katia were probably the best pairs skaters ever, I don't think the public would have accepted Katia with anyone but Sergei, especially not so soon after his death.

Her life story as an orphan sleeping in the ice rink until her coach took her in could have made an impact....
    I still love that story, just as I loved Baiul's friendship with Petrenko. I was so gutted when she sued both him and Galina

vCash
    I never liked Oksana Kazakova, but funnily enough Artur was more generous when speaking about her in interviews than he ever was about Natalia. In fact, he said that Oksana was a lot more passionate and artistic on the ice than Natalia, which I really can't see
    To me Oksana was like a robot compared to Natalia, her movements were "programmed" - it's ironic that they had a program with her character as a wind up doll or a puppet - and the way she wrapped her free leg in spins and/or jumps drove me nuts.... (her foot was not pointed out in straight line with the leg...) - I know it's easier said than done but I expect better...

vCash
    Her life story as an orphan sleeping in the ice rink until her coach took her in could have made an impact.... - for me anyway since that stuck in my mind more than her skating .
    She laughed off that story years ago claiming it was all greatly exaggerated. Of course, with Oksana, who knows what is true anymore.

vCash
    I always thought Artur and Moskvina liked Kazakova because she was obedient (for the most part) and didn't interfere with their genius or try to horn in on Artur's spotlight.

vCash
    I'm surprised they never skated to copelia. It's like artur created her in a lab from his sister's doll. which is perhaps why he speaks more highly of her IMHO. control issues

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    I always thought Artur and Moskvina liked Kazakova because she was obedient (for the most part) and didn't interfere with their genius or try to horn in on Artur's spotlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    I'm surprised they never skated to copelia. It's like artur created her in a lab from his sister's doll. which is perhaps why he speaks more highly of her IMHO. control issues
    To me Oksana was like a robot compared to Natalia, her movements were "programmed" - it's ironic that they had a program with her character as a wind up doll or a puppet
    Oksana Kazakova really was like a wind up doll programmed by Artur and Tamara! Their little project. I absolutely love Artur, but he was quite cruel in the way he spoke about Natalia. Both him and Tamara kept telling her that he could easily leave her for another partner if she didn't get her act together, didn't lose weight etc. I remember watching a short documentary on them and it said Natalia fell into depression and gained a lot of weight before and after 1994. I thought she skated beautifully, although Artur was always the star.

It's karma that Artur now looks like a mixture of old Marlon Brando and Gérard Depardieu, whereas Natalia aged quite well and certainly is not overweight.
    Last edited by Xela M; 04-01-2014 at 04:35 PM.

vCash
    Artur and Katia would not be a good match. Their styles just arent similar at all.

Oksana and Artur were a pretty good match, although she isnt as strong a skater as Natalia. I am not surprised Artur says differently and praises her more though. Natalia did not get along that well with Artur or Tamara after 92, and they threatened to ditch her from their team many times. He mantained a very good personal relationship with Oksana into a long and excellent pro career, and even coaching together awhile.

vCash
    He probably enjoyed her company more. Sometimes one's personality just meshes better with one than the other even if the other is more talented. It happens all the time.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    even coaching together awhile.
    I'm surprised Artur hasn't had more success as a coach or am I missing something? Does he coach any of the top teams? He was practically an assistant to Tamara even when he skated. Apparently he helped her coach Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, even when they were competing against them in 1998 and he always had his own view about choreography. He practically choreographed his and Natalia's 1994 long programme, which I thought was spectacular! Tamara wanted them to skate to swan lake, which would have been awful given Natalia's look.
    Last edited by Xela M; 04-01-2014 at 05:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    He probably enjoyed her company more. Sometimes one's personality just meshes better with one than the other even if the other is more talented. It happens all the time.
    Natalia is a beautiful skater but she does strike me as a somewhat difficult personality.

vCash
    Most skaters are very photogenic compared to the rest of the population, but Artur and Kazakova always stood out as exceptions. Natalia was much easier on the eyes.

vCash
    I won't argue with the more knowledgeable figure skating experts, but I'm still very happy Oksana Baiul won I have never seen a more artistic skater and Nancy was insufferable (in my opinion).
    Are you me? God, it's so rare to find another person here who appreciates Oksana's artistry... I agree, I've never seen a more artistic ladies skater. The way she moves on ice is just so special. Nancy otoh... is so stiff and does such jarring ugly movements.

Back to the main topic, I think G/G should have won. I need to rewatch men and dance to decide.

vCash
    Oksana achieved beautiful speed and did so effortlessly without looking like a hunched over troll. She was one of a kind.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZFLYV6CTlM Here is a video which compares G&G to M&D in Lillehammer. It starts off by saying M&D were robbed, but then actually proves why G&G rightfully won. I must say, as a casual viewer, I didn't realise all the technicalities mentioned in the video.

I guess it's impossible not to like G&G. Katia Gordeeva was so beautiful and G&G's long programme was so magical that M&D looked like angry heavy weight wrestlers in comparison. Although I loved M&D's expression and Artur was a superstar. I also loved the fact that M&D stepped up and skated their absolute best on the night, despite all the disasters they had in practice and off the ice. They really showed what champions are made of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icespin31 View Post
    Are you me? God, it's so rare to find another person here who appreciates Oksana's artistry... I agree, I've never seen a more artistic ladies skater. The way she moves on ice is just so special. Nancy otoh... is so stiff and does such jarring ugly movements.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Oksana achieved beautiful speed and did so effortlessly without looking like a hunched over troll. She was one of a kind.
    Yay! I thought I was the only one on this board who loved Oksana Baiul a ballerina on ice!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Most skaters are very photogenic compared to the rest of the population, but Artur and Kazakova always stood out as exceptions. Natalia was much easier on the eyes.
    I have to agree with this. Oksana Kazakova looked terrible. I guess they chose her, so she doesn't overshadow Artur who I thought was pretty hot (a 'man's man')
    Natalia Mishkutenok was quite pretty with long hair. I didn't think the short hair suited her.

vCash
    I think people finding Oksana to be artistic isn't that rare. Most people will cite to her Swan Lake SP and The Swan exhibition as two of the most artistic pieces in Olympic-eligible skating. They just find that LP to be beneath her even though her great qualities shine though. I find it funny that someone said Oksana wasn't hunched over, but I remember her posture could have been a lot better on her back crossovers.

I think it's popular around her to state that Oksana was a natural performer and could express music well.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast