Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I believe Nancy Kerrigan said that wearing a medal was corny, not the parade.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    http://youtu.be/2-2J1Xi07fU

Chris's behavior made me cringe in this 1994 BBC documentary about their return. It explains a lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    http://youtu.be/2-2J1Xi07fU

Chris's behavior made me cringe in this 1994 BBC documentary about their return. It explains a lot.
    Well he was quite the charmer wasn't he I think Platov once said that T&D fought in training as much as he and Grishuk. It was reported that T&D's training sessions usually ended in (Jayne's) tears.

vCash
    I think Platov once said that T&D fought in training as much as he and Grishuk. It was reported that T&D's training sessions usually ended in (Jayne's) tears.
    There was definitely some tension and arguments between them before Lillehammer. They even admited that in their biography. And it is also shown in the BBC documentary. (BTW If I were Jayne, I would punch him )

But I have never read or heard that training sessions usually ended like you have written. I would really appreciate if you posted a link where it was reported. I'm so curious. I just cannot imagine working together for so many years and having fights which finish with tears all the time. So if you have anything about it, please give us a link.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    There was definitely some tension and arguments between them before Lillehammer. They even admited that in their biography. And it is also shown in the BBC documentary. (BTW If I were Jayne, I would punch him )

But I have never read or heard that training sessions usually ended like you have written. I would really appreciate if you posted a link where it was reported. I'm so curious. I just cannot imagine working together for so many years and having fights which finish with tears all the time. So if you have anything about it, please give us a link.
    If my memory serves me right I remember seeing a fluff showing Jayne crying at practice and hearing about Chris being very pushy and bossy and critical of her. I don't know about the "all practices" part.

vCash
    Oh gosh, it was years ago and I can't remember if it was the Russian press, but I thought it was widely known that Dean bullied Jayne in training because he was such a perfectionist and fanatically competitive. I just did a quick google search and this website refers to a documentary I remember watching where Dean was horrible in training and Jayne kept crying.

http://bitchingonice.blogspot.co.uk/...es-on.html?m=1 not the best source, but I'll try to find the docu itself

vCash
    If my memory serves me right I remember seeing a fluff showing Jayne crying at practice and hearing about Chris being very pushy and bossy and critical of her.
    It is shown in the BBC documentary (the link was is in one of the posts above). It was recorded before Lillhammer. I was just curious about all training sessions.
    http://bitchingonice.blogspot.co.uk/...es-on.html?m=1 not the best source, but I'll try to find the docu itself
    Thank you. It is a strange site, but anyway I will read it.

vCash
    To be fair, I don't think police were ever called to any of T&D's training sessions unlike G&P so maybe Pasha in her prime was worse to Evgeni than Chris was to Jayne

vCash
    Ok, I read it (maybe not everything, because most of it was unreadable). They just mention what everyone can hear in the documentary and read in the biography. So nothing new.
    To be fair, I don't think police were ever called to any of T&D's training sessions unlike G&P
    Police? Are you serious now or are you joking?
    Last edited by coraczek; 04-15-2014 at 10:23 PM.

vCash
    Ok, I read it. They just mention what everyone can hear in the documentary and read in the biography. So nothing new.

Police? Are you serious now or are you joking?
    I haven't seen the link to that particular documentary in this thread? Have I missed it? I distinctly remember Jayne breaking down in tears in training and Chris being really horrid to her.

At least once police were called out to G&P's training session. Pasha claimed Evgeni hit her because she wouldn't train hard enough, but Evgeni said she became hysterical and wouldn't stop screaming. She was the one who would force Evgeni to repeat moves over and over and over again and make him carry on even when he physically couldn't. If she didn't like a piece of choreography it had to be changed so many times until she was satisfied. She was quite the fanatic! And of course there were the skates which were thrown at Evgeni and the constant tears - Tarasova said she never knew anyone could cry as much as Grishuk did. Fun times

vCash
    As arrogant and despicable as I find Dean, I have to admit he was a genius. He made T&D into what they were just like Pasha made G&P and I admire both of them. Jayne and Evgeni were extremely fortunate to be part of those teams. Both Dean and Pasha would probably have made champions out of whoever they were partnered up with.

vCash
    I haven't seen the link to that particular documentary in this thread? Have I missed it? I distinctly remember Jayne breaking down in tears in training and Chris being really horrid to her.
    Ok, I wasn't precise. Somebody who uploaded the documentary in YT, divided it into 4 parts. The link was to the first part. You can see the crying in the 4th part, which is also on YT.

At least once police were called out to G&P's training session. Pasha claimed Evgeni hit her because she wouldn't train hard enough, but Evgeni said she became hysterical and wouldn't stop screaming. She was the one who would force Evgeni to repeat moves over and over and over again and make him carry on even when he physically couldn't. If she didn't like a piece of choreography it had to be changed so many times until she was satisfied. She was quite the fanatic! And of course there were the skates which were thrown at Evgeni and the constant tears - Tarasova said she never knew anyone could cry as much as Grishuk did. Fun times
    She wasn't sane. It's not surprising why so many people liked Platov (and hated Oksana). They just felt sympathy for him.
    Last edited by coraczek; 04-15-2014 at 10:44 PM.

vCash
    Both Dean and Pasha would probably have made champions out of whoever they were partnered up with.
    I don't agree. I don't think it would be easy for them to find partners which would stand their moods.

vCash
    I don't agree. I don't think it would be easy for them to find partners which would stand their moods.
    Dean maybe but Pasha is a charming, humble, and sweet women who any man would be privileged to skate with. Platov just made a bad impression of her since he was jealous that she wanted to sleep with old creepy Zhulin rather than him, which I understand as I also dont know what she was smoking in that case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Or make popcorn!
    Sure, but it depends on what form the corn comes in. If it's moist, you could sit around the popcorn maker for hours, but all you'd end up with is mush!!! Of course, some other possibilities are grits, corn on the cob, and Paula Deen's corn-pone soup.

Well, Nancy just had so many tasty options available to her, but all she did was take the easy way out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    But were there supposed to be specific deductions for overlong separations or not?

If so, then "putting in first who you thought should be first" could be considered ignoring the rules.
    No it isn't. What they are saying is, even if I take off a tenth for the separation, that dance is still worth more than anyone else's. It is only one tiny piece of a 4.5 minute dance full of all kinds of other stuff. From the judges POV, it is not any different than deciding it doesn't make much difference that Grinkov singled the salchow and that you think the harder lifts more than made up for it. It was one pair of marks for the entire skate, not spreadsheets like we have today.

Also, we don't really know if judges did give a lower score or not. The complaint was that, for a rules violation, the event referee was supposed to give a sign of some kind advising the judges of the need for a deduction (as was done for the two illegal D&T elements) and he didn't do that for G&P. That does not necessarily mean that the judges who saw it for themselves did not take it into consideration anyway.

But all this still misses the major concept of 6.0 scoring, in which the absolute points are meaningless. The actual scores were only the means to an end. If the judge found that dance so superior to the others that it should win even with the separation, then he gives marks that will put them first. If the referee had called for the automatic deduction, then the judge would have given 6.0 instead of 5.9 or bumped up the presentation mark if that was necessary to keep them ahead of the next skater.

vCash
    Tarasova did say that Grishuk was mentally ill. But as much as Platov had to put up with her tantrums and insanity, he was very competitive himself and knew that he needed her in order to win. In a recent-ish interview he said that he never had a partner like Grishuk because as long as he was with her, he had a feeling that he could win anything. She had incredible energy and was such a fanatic of skating that she would rather die than come second.

vCash
    If the clubbing never happened Nancy Bore-again would have been only 4th or 5th in Lillehammer. She might have even finished below Harding who might have won a medal. First off she had a history for choking under pressure. She needed the clubbing to give her a sharper focus.

Secondly the judges have everyone reason to write her off. She had been heavy favorite for the gold at the 93 worlds and even with Baiul, Bonaly, and Chen skating great there they were ready to hand it to her on a silver platter if she just made 2 mistakes or less but she blew up and took 9th in the long program. So she lost the reputation edge she had lucked into getting in the first place just by being older and her lucky 91 and 92 medals. They had no reason to consider her a favorite anymore. She wouldnt have been treated like a favorite by the judges and peoples expectations of the judges without the clubbing and the notoriety it gave her.

Thirdly the other skaters were probably distracted by the whole broohah. Look at how well Bonaly skated to win Europeans and even at worlds but so much worse she skated at the Games where Nancy beat her. Same for Sato and Chen and their unusual SP errors. Baiul was probably even affected. Harding was the one affected worst of all as she was treated like a criminal skating at the Games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by angelflies View Post
    Dean maybe but Pasha is a charming, humble, and sweet women who any man would be privileged to skate with. Platov just made a bad impression of her since he was jealous that she wanted to sleep with old creepy Zhulin rather than him, which I understand as I also dont know what she was smoking in that case.
    I love this I've heard it said several times that Platov was jealous and actually propositioned Grishuk, but she rejected him. However, I wasn't sure if Pasha started those rumours. Anyway, if true, I also can't believe she would refuse handsome young Platov to sleep with married pig Zhulin. Although Maya also claimed to have rejected Platov's advances. Maybe Zhulin was better in bed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    I love this I've heard it said several times that Platov was jealous and actually propositioned Grishuk, but she rejected him. However, I wasn't sure if Pasha started those rumours. Anyway, if true, I also can't believe age would refuse handsome young Platov to sleep with married pig Zhulin.
    Zhulin was never hot I find. Platov is much hotter. Plus he is a creep and nasty man. Granted it seems Platov isnt the little angel he pretends himself to be even if Pasha exagerrates some of the truth.

Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast