Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Really??? Is that why when Laura Branigan tried calling her a few years back, she just never answered??
    DID THAT HAPPEN!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by angelflies View Post
    Zhulin was never hot I find. Platov is much hotter. Plus he is a creep and nasty man. Granted it seems Platov isnt the little angel he pretends himself to be even if Pasha exagerrates some of the truth.
    I also could never understand what women saw in Zhulin. He always looked ugly to me, whereas Platov was to die for! However, Zhulin seemed to make women fall over themselves for him whereas Platov got rejections left right and centre. Maybe Platov had less sex appeal in person and Zhulin had all the bad boy charms?

vCash
    I cant figure it out. Maybe Zhulin has a bigger package. Maybe he is richer. Who knows.

vCash
    I cant figure it out. Maybe Zhulin has a bigger package. Maybe he is richer. Who knows.
    I don't think Zhulin was rich back in 1992

vCash
    I am just searching for answers. I am a women and wouldnt touch him with a ten foot pole unless he was incredibly rich so I am trying to guess what these women see.

vCash
    If the clubbing never happened Nancy Bore-again would have been only 4th or 5th in Lillehammer. She might have even finished below Harding who might have won a medal. First off she had a history for choking under pressure. She needed the clubbing to give her a sharper focus.

Secondly the judges have everyone reason to write her off. She had been heavy favorite for the gold at the 93 worlds and even with Baiul, Bonaly, and Chen skating great there they were ready to hand it to her on a silver platter if she just made 2 mistakes or less but she blew up and took 9th in the long program. So she lost the reputation edge she had lucked into getting in the first place just by being older and her lucky 91 and 92 medals. They had no reason to consider her a favorite anymore. She wouldnt have been treated like a favorite by the judges and peoples expectations of the judges without the clubbing and the notoriety it gave her.

Thirdly the other skaters were probably distracted by the whole broohah. Look at how well Bonaly skated to win Europeans and even at worlds but so much worse she skated at the Games where Nancy beat her. Same for Sato and Chen and their unusual SP errors. Baiul was probably even affected. Harding was the one affected worst of all as she was treated like a criminal skating at the Games.
    I always thought Nancy had to be secretly thanking Tonya everyday. Tonya made her rich and famous. No one would have remembered Nancy 20 years on

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    I always thought Nancy had to be secretly thanking Tonya everyday. Tonya made her rich and famous. No one would gave remembered Nancy 20 years on
    Well she was already rich. She got a bunch of endorsements in 92 and 93. She got more than Kristi who always kicked her ass in competition, and was the Olympic gold to Nancy's bronze, due to racism in the U.S at the time. So she didnt need Tonya for that, although she did get even richer. She was always overhyped both on and off the ice. I love Tonya and wish she never clubbed Nancy to make her the star she is, that she never deserved to be. Too bad a real talent like Tonya is now out of the sport, and thrash like Nancy almost becomes an OGM and a hero.

vCash
    I am just searching for answers. I am a women and wouldnt touch him with a ten foot pole unless he was incredibly rich so I am trying to guess what these women see.
    Can I just say I love your posts in this thread

vCash
    Can I just say I love your posts in this thread
    Thanks, I love your posts too. Whenever I am on this board even when I dont post, I notice some of your posts. I love how you just way what you want, and dont give a darn what others might think of it. Just calling it like it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    No it isn't. What they are saying is, even if I take off a tenth for the separation, that dance is still worth more than anyone else's.
    Weren't there 3 separations? So, wouldn't that be at least 0.3 off? I find it hard to believe that their dance was still worth more than the other dances after such a deduction.

It is only one tiny piece of a 4.5 minute dance full of all kinds of other stuff. From the judges POV, it is not any different than deciding it doesn't make much difference that Grinkov singled the salchow and that you think the harder lifts more than made up for it.
    Yes, it is somewhat different, because there was not a prescribed deduction for that.

It was one pair of marks for the entire skate, not spreadsheets like we have today.
    True, but the judges still had rules to follow. So, in the SP, would it have been okay for the judges to gloss over required elements and/or mandatory deductions?

Also, we don't really know if judges did give a lower score or not. The complaint was that, for a rules violation, the event referee was supposed to give a sign of some kind advising the judges of the need for a deduction (as was done for the two illegal D&T elements) and he didn't do that for G&P. That does not necessarily mean that the judges who saw it for themselves did not take it into consideration anyway.
    Well, the referee was to blame as well. But if G&P had 3 separations that needed to be penalized, then based on their actual scores, it seems unlikely that the judges in general took all the deductions.

But all this still misses the major concept of 6.0 scoring, in which the absolute points are meaningless. The actual scores were only the means to an end.
    If the points were entirely meaningless, then why were there any prescribed deductions at all? There were required deductions for mistakes in the SP and for falls in the LP as well.

If the judge found that dance so superior to the others that it should win even with the separation, then he gives marks that will put them first.
    Yes, but it needs to be reasoned out numerically, not just, "I think G&P are that much superior." Otherwise, it's slipshod judging.

If the referee had called for the automatic deduction, then the judge would have given 6.0 instead of 5.9 or bumped up the presentation mark if that was necessary to keep them ahead of the next skater.
    Make that 6.2.

vCash
    She was always overhyped both on and off the ice. I love Tonya and wish she never clubbed Nancy to make her the star she is, that she never deserved to be. Too bad a real talent like Tonya is now out of the sport, and thrash like Nancy almost becomes an OGM and a hero.
    Wow I always thought I was the only one who liked Tonya much more than Nancy. It's so sad she turned out to be so stupid

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    I don't agree. I don't think it would be easy for them to find partners which would stand their moods.
    Good point. That's kind of like marrying someone you can't stand just because they're a mega-millionaire. I mean, in the long run (assuming a pre-nup ), is it really worth it? I don't think so. Better to have your sanity, tranquillity, and dignity IMO.

vCash
    As arrogant and despicable as I find Dean, I have to admit he was a genius. He made T&D into what they were just like Pasha made G&P and I admire both of them. Jayne and Evgeni were extremely fortunate to be part of those teams. Both Dean and Pasha would probably have made champions out of whoever they were partnered up with.
    I got to shake Chris's hand a long time ago after a Stars on Ice show, he seemed very nice to me at that time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post

After being nearly crippled by a competitor that got away with it, this was just one of the perks. All she had to do was sit in a car and smile and then collect $2mil. But this is Nancy Kerrigan, so of course she found a way to somehow f it up. The backlash was so bad, people are still bringing it up 2 decades later.

None of it had absolutely anything at all to do with whining to underpaid staff or fishing for sympathy.
    I dunno, the 28 second mark at this video http://youtu.be/9oozUaizleQ?t=28s makes it look like she was complaining to Mickey about the horror of the corniness that she had to endure.

I always found her comments about Oksana during the medal ceremony to be pretty hilarious , as well as her comment about lacking motivation during pro-competitions since everyone made the same money.

The Disney escapade always annoyed me; however, because she was being paid millions just to smile, wave and wear a medal. If she felt that strongly in spite of the price tag, she should have said no.
    Wow I always thought I was the only one who liked Tonya much more than Nancy. It's so sad she turned out to be so stupid
    Funnily enough, I think quite a number of people prefered Tonya's skating to Nancy's. I certainly did, although I can't say I was really a fan of either one.
    Last edited by escaflowne9282; 04-16-2014 at 01:34 AM.

vCash
    To quickly get back to the Zhulin vs Platov debate... the one thing about Zhulin was that even though he didn't look very strong and Maya was nearly as tall as him, I don't think they ever had trouble with lifts. Maya said that she had never been injured before she paired up with Platov and he dropped her or let go of her during a spin, so she hit the boards and had to have shoulder surgery. Maybe Zhulin had more stamina

Driving 4 hours everyday to whore around between practices for the Olympics would have taken its toll on a lesser man, but not Zhulin

vCash
    She had been heavy favorite for the gold at the 93 worlds and even with Baiul, Bonaly, and Chen skating great there they were ready to hand it to her on a silver platter if she just made 2 mistakes or less but she blew up and took 9th in the long program.
    But apparently she'd had a toenail removed by a doctor the night before. Why did she wait so long to get that taken care of, though, I wonder?

She wouldnt have been treated like a favorite by the judges and peoples expectations of the judges without the clubbing and the notoriety it gave her.
    Notoriety? That would be Tonya. Notorious rarely has a favorable connotation. Anyway, Nancy did win Piruetten, and if she'd skated really well at '94 Nationals, that could have been a boost for her as well.

Look at how well Bonaly skated to win Europeans and even at worlds but so much worse she skated at the Games where Nancy beat her. Same for Sato and Chen and their unusual SP errors. Baiul was probably even affected. Harding was the one affected worst of all as she was treated like a criminal skating at the Games.
    Yes, it probably did negatively affect a lot of the skating, sad to say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taso View Post
    Really??? Is that why when Laura Branigan tried calling her a few years back, she just never answered??
    DID THAT HAPPEN!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!!!!
    Hopefully this will answer your question:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21...n-gloria_music

vCash
    Michael Rosenberg has some interesting observations about Tonya's appeal:

http://www.abqjournal.com/354673/spo...emarkable.html

“If you had a dinner and had 12 skaters sitting around the table, at the end of the night, you would say Tonya was the most interesting, the most fun to talk to,” he says. “She’s smart. Street smart. Funny. Unpolished, but funny. Truthful. And a spectacular athlete."
    ---------------------------------

In fact, he still believes she's innocent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyhm View Post
    I got to shake Chris's hand a long time ago after a Stars on Ice show, he seemed very nice to me at that time.
    People who inflict emotional abuse are usually pretty selective about the ones they dish it out to. They're a lot like these critters:

http://www.earthrangers.com/content/...landa_dice.jpg

Another thing to keep in mind is that even "regular" people are often nicer to complete strangers than to those they have to be around every day, who they may feel (rightly or wrongly) get on their nerves at times. The moral of the story: If you meet a public figure, don't read too much into a one-time pleasant encounter.
    Last edited by neptune; 04-16-2014 at 04:52 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Hopefully this will answer your question:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21...n-gloria_music
    I think Laura Branigan does a very good job in this cover. I still prefer the original version.

Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast