Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I was very upset at the time about Torvil and Dean getting penalized for very interesting lifts.
    Oh, I thought those deductions were absolutely correct. I am sure other competitors could also have come up with interesting stuff if they had known overhead lifts and throw jumps would be allowed in ice dance.

If the ISU is going to restrict what dancers can do, then they need to enforce those limits. Watching in real time even I thought "that can't be legal" especially the eye-popping throw loop move. I, for one, would have been pretty annoyed if they had let them get away with it.

BTW "I am OK with it" is not the same thing as I was OK with it at the time nor as I agree with it.

I am OK with Grishuk and Platov winning in 94. I was not OK with it at the time, as I thought U/Z should have won. Removed from the passion of the moment, however, and having re-watched the programs dispassionately, I can see the judges' thinking. Still, I am not sure I would go so far as to say they were right. I'm just not real sure they were wrong anymore.
    Last edited by Susan M; 04-02-2014 at 06:00 AM. Reason: fix punctuation (since I don't have the excuse of typing on a 2" keyboard)

vCash
    It was too bad U&Z chose the most important year of their career to have their worst FD ever. Had they used any of their 90-93 FDs I am sure they would have won the gold, being as they were so close anyway.

vCash
    I´m fine with the results in Lillehammer:

1. Urmanov was the right winner, Stojko´s skating looked too awful.
    2. Baiul was the reigning WC and I agreed with her win.
    3. I hoped that Thorvill & Dean would win, but understood they unfortunately had an illegal move.
    4. G&G were awesome and the feeling & expression they showed in their programmes was unbeatable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I am fine with Oksana having bigger hair than Nancy.
    It was serious home perm hair, complete with pinwheel bangs. Ogilvie voids, for real. Team Nancy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post

I am just curious why being the reigning WC is a justification for her win?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post

1. Urmanov was the right winner, Stojko´s skating looked too awful.
    3. I hoped that Thorvill & Dean would win, but understood they unfortunately had an illegal move.
    4. G&G were awesome and the feeling & expression they showed in their programmes was unbeatable.
    U&Z should have won. They had payed their dues, it was their turn, and G&P's free dance was an awful hot mess anyway.

vCash
    G&P's free dance was HOT and FAST! T & D were slow and U & Z's free dance was just one big WTF moment. It was a revolution of the fast and furious skating that would take over ice dance. G & P's 1994 free dance was skated with so much attack, aggression, confidence and youthful exuberance that it made everyone else look old and stale.

That's the kind of skating I expected from V & M in Sochi - I expected to see the drive to WIN, but I was rather disappointed.

vCash
    I kinda agree, but please. You can't get more old and stale than a cheesy 50s ROCKnROLL number. It was like 10 years out of date, only the judges are 20 years out of date in their tastes! I loved T&D's Fred&Ginger homage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanoverrated View Post
    U&Z should have won. They had payed their dues, it was their turn.
    None of these are legitimate reasons for their win and point to examples of why people don't consider figure skating a real sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    Just as a bit of gossip...
    I remember hearing the same things, but I think your timing is off. Artur's GF was already pregnant with Artur jr by the time of the 92 Olympcs. As you said, they apparently tried to keep the existance of this relationship secret from Natalia until after the season ended. The unhappiness issues arose after that. It was pretty obvious in the pro events they did in the fall of 1992 that things were no longer working for them. By the time they started training for the 1994 Olympics, I think things had been pretty much resolved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I remember hearing the same things, but I think your timing is off. Artur's GF was already pregnant with Artur jr by the time of the 92 Olympcs. As you said, they apparently tried to keep the existance of this relationship secret from Natalia until after the season ended. The unhappiness issues arose after that. It was pretty obvious in the pro events they did in the fall of 1992 that things were no longer working for them. By the time they started training for the 1994 Olympics, I think things had been pretty much resolved.
    Thank you. I didn't realise she was already pregnant before the Olympics in '92. I guess it makes sense because the rumour was that he told Natalia about it on the bus after they had won Gold. However, I didn't think things were resolved before '94 because they looked quite disastrous right before they actually stepped out onto the ice and put down two show stopping performances and both Tamara and Artur made some quite public unkind comments about Natalia.

Artur is not really the sensitive type I have read a few of his interviews on Artur Jr. He doesn't sugarcoat things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    G&P's free dance was HOT and FAST! T & D were slow
    T&D were probably the second-fastest team that night. G&P were undeniably fastest.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I would have marked the podiums as:

Pairs:
    1. G/G
    2. M/D
    3. S/N

Men:
    1. Urmanov
    2. Stojko
    3. Candeloro

Dance:
    1. T/D
    2. U/Z
    3. G/P

Ladies:
    1. Baiul
    2. Chen
    3. Kerrigan

vCash
    My podiums would have been:

Pairs:
    Gold- Miskutienok & Dmitriev 2nd short, 1st long
    Silver- Gordeeva & Grinkov 1st short, 2nd long
    Bronze- Shishkova & Naumov 4th short, 3rd long
    4th- Brasseur & Eisler 3rd short, 4th long

Men:
    Gold- Stojko- 1st short, 1st long
    Silver- Urmanov- 2nd short, 2nd long
    Bronze- Candelero- 4th short, 3rd long

Dance:
    Gold- Usova Zhulin- 1st golden waltz, 3rd Blues, 2nd Rhumba, 1st free dance
    Silver- Torvill Dean- 4th golden waltz, 2nd Blues, 1st Rhumba, 2nd free dance
    Bronze- Grischuk Platov- 2nd golden waltz, 1st Blues, 4th Rhumba, 3rd free dance

for anyone wondering I had Rahkammo & Kokko 3rd in both the golden waltz and Rhumba.

Ladies:
    Gold- Kerrigan- 1st short program, 3rd long
    Silver- Sato- 6th short program, 1st long
    Bronze- Chen- 4th short program, 2nd long (although I might have put Chen 1st over Sato in the long just to prevent the travesty of Kerrigan being crowned Olympic Champion)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    At the time I was fine with the ladies result as Nancy was stiff and oksana oozed charisma from every pore. Looking back, it was a con job. Baiul wasn't anywhere near as good as we thought. Like the hot person you take home at 2:00am drunk who somehow gets uglier overnight.
    Perfectly stated!

I was fine with the men's and dance results.

I've always felt that -- as much as I adored G/G -- M/D should have won gold that night.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post

Pairs:
    Gold- Miskutienok & Dmitriev 2nd short, 1st long
    Silver- Gordeeva & Grinkov 1st short, 2nd long
    Bronze- Shishkova & Naumov 4th short, 3rd long
    4th- Brasseur & Eisler 3rd short, 4th long
    I can't remember what article I read it in, but apparently one of the judges approached Artur after the long programme and said that, even though she voted for G&G, she thought M&D skated better. The same article also referred to Basseur & Eisler skating so slowly they could have been arrested for loitering

Basseur & Eisler also hilariously complained that neither G&G nor M&D should have been allowed to return, so they really won the Gold medal

vCash
    Dance:
    Bronze- Grischuk Platov- 2nd golden waltz, 1st Blues, 4th Rhumba, 3rd free dance

for anyone wondering I had Rahkammo & Kokko 3rd in both the golden waltz and Rhumba.
    It was the Starlight Waltz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk_P...layer_embedded
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SmgkaCvF6Y
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Fb79U6OmE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV0JocVnOUs

The Golden Waltz wasn't introduced as a compulsory dance until 1995-96.

vCash
    At the time I was fine with the ladies result as Nancy was stiff and oksana oozed charisma from every pore. Looking back, it was a con job. Baiul wasn't anywhere near as good as we thought. Like the hot person you take home at 2:00am drunk who somehow gets uglier overnight.
    So true. And so funny, berthesghost.

vCash

Dance:
    Do you mean the starlight waltz? I think the golden waltz came into existence as a compulsory dance at around 1996-1997. I could be wrong though. I agree with G&P being 4th in the OD though. The rhumba was badly suited to them (Oksana anyways) and they put far too much attack and energy into it. They scaled it back for worlds though and had refined it somewhat.

I never saw the Finn's waltz CD. Did they perform it well? One rendition of the starlight waltz that I'll never forget is Klimova & Ponomarenko's from the 1990 Goodwill Games. It was picture perfect.

vCash
    [
    I agree with this. I remember really looking back at the content of the two programs after 2002 and being utterly surprised at how little Oksana actually did. The problem is, I have such an irrational dislike for Kerrigan's skating, that, even to this day, I can't be anything other than grateful that she isn't an OGM.

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast