Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Icenetwork’s "It’s Your Move!" voting game

Welcome to icenetwork’s It’s Your Move! We’ve assembled more than 50 of the most recognizable signature moves in figure skating history. Now, it’s your turn to decide which one is the most iconic. Vote for your favorites, and then come back Monday, June 9, to see which 10 moves advanced to the final round.
    Link to start voting: http://web.icenetwork.com/fans/its-your-move

Which "iconic moves" have been left out, in your opinion?

Which of the listed "iconic moves" should be replaced by an even more iconic move of the skater or team?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Um, some of these are going up against each other and you just can't compare them. Like the one that just popped up for me was "Dick Button's "Button Camel"" vs "Grinkov and Gordeeva's quadruple twist". You can't compare those.

vCash
    There are a lot of skaters' signature moves missing!

And yeah I don't like how they are randomly pitted against each other and you have to sit there and click for eternity to get through the endless list

It's just going to be a popularity contest based on who is the most relevant right now

vCash
    You mean as evidenced by the fact that Yuna Kim currently occupies the top two spots?

I don't like how it gives you the same moves over and over and over again. Mao Asada's triple Axel just popped up for the first time for me (after 107 votes - yeah I was bored!) and yet I can't even begin to tell you the number of times I've voted for Shawn Sawyer's I-spin.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    You mean as evidenced by the fact that Yuna Kim currently occupies the top two spots?

I don't like how it gives you the same moves over and over and over again. Mao Asada's triple Axel just popped up for the first time for me (after 107 votes - yeah I was bored!) and yet I can't even begin to tell you the number of times I've voted for Shawn Sawyer's I-spin.
    It took me almost that # of votes to get to MK's COE spiral..There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how these pop up.

vCash
    Is plushenko's Biellman really iconic?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Is plushenko's Biellman really iconic?
    I think for the period of time that he did it, it was, because no man had ever done it in international competition before then, and he always did it.

I would say that some of them are not quite right; for example, instead of Jason's Russian split, which he doesn't always do, his catchfoot-layback spin is much more iconic.

vCash
    Who the heck remembers the Hartsells clearly, let alone remembering any of their moves? How did they end up on this list?

vCash
    I think for the period of time that he did it, it was, because no man had ever done it in international competition before then, and he always did it.

I would say that some of them are not quite right; for example, instead of Jason's Russian split, which he doesn't always do, his catchfoot-layback spin is much more iconic.
    I guess to me, iconic is "that's the thing they are known for". So Rippon with his lutz, and Zhang with her Pearl make sense. If I say "Plushenko" to someone- it seems like most people would think "quads", not "Biellman".

And I guess, as much as I love him, I'm not sure Jason Brown has an iconic move yet. Man do I love his Russian split though. I kind of feel the same about Nagasu- she has a BEAUTIFUL layback, but lots of ladies do- it doesn't appear Czisny is on the list at all for her spins, so why Nagasu? (And I LOVE Mirai.)

Glad to see Jonathan Cassar get some love on the spread eagle, though to me, when I think of him I think of "change edge spread eagle" not just "inside spread eagle".

I had never heard of the Hartsells, but that lift looks crazy.

vCash
    By the way, whether you vote for him or not, if you have never seen Robert Wagenhoffer's 1994 routine to Roy Orbison's "Cryin'," it is the linked video for Robert's Wagen Wheel,, and do watch it. It is an amazing program.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?t=2m41s&v...ature=youtu.be

vCash
    I'm surprised Yuna's bent-leg camel is in second place. I love Yuna, but I've always found that spin unattractive.

Moves I wish they'd included: Angela Nikodinov's classic layback spin, Mao Asada's one-handed Biellmann spin, Gordeeva/Grinkov's lift with Katia in two different spiral-type positions midair, Volosozhar/Trankov's triple twist, V/T's reverse lift (or the one where she's upside down), Savchenko/Szolkowy's pairs combination spin, some of Davis/White's lifts from Scheherazade or Die Fledermaus.

My favorite move so far is the Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze spiral/spread eagle. Although there are so many great ones!

vCash
    I love Yuna, but I've always found that spin unattractive.
    I can't remember what they were calling it (natasha spin? I don't remember the skaters...) but they have the most unattractive pairs spin position ever on the list, as well as a butt spin ("A frame") so I don't think attractive was a requirement!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    I'm surprised Yuna's bent-leg camel is in second place. I love Yuna, but I've always found that spin unattractive.
    I thought Josée Chouinard did it well - wish IN had used it as her iconic move.

It's weird to see a photo of Gordeeva/Grinkov's "Moonlight Sonata" associated with their quad twist lift that they only performed in 1986-1987.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    By the way, whether you vote for him or not, if you have never seen Robert Wagenhoffer's 1994 routine to Roy Orbison's "Cryin'," it is the linked video for Robert's Wagen Wheel,, and do watch it. It is an amazing program.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?t=2m41s&v...ature=youtu.be
    You are right. He is phenomenally beautiful and the Wagen Wheel is gaspworthy. Can't believe I never even heard of him.

vCash
    Re-posting from the D/W thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I thought it odd they chose the quad twist for G&G since they only did it the once.
    G&G were credited with the 4Tw 3 times in international competition: in their long programs at 1986 Skate Canada, 1987 Europeans and Worlds.

To me, their most iconic moves were the throw 2 axel out of waltz hold
    http://youtu.be/JSSfZlJNkGE?t=1m06s
    and the 1A-1L-Half loop-2S sequence.
    http://youtu.be/JSSfZlJNkGE?t=2m47s
    Maintaining such unison on four consecutive edge jumps is incredibly hard and kind of exemplifies what set G&G apart from other pairs.
    I agree that I would have chosen a "unison" move for them, like the two you cited above.

ETA: Asada's 3A was in IN's top 10 last night - which 3A would you choose between: Asada's or Midori Ito's?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-28-2014 at 11:31 PM. Reason: To edit in Susan M's correction, noted below

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Re-posting from the D/W thread:

I agree that I would have chosen a "unison" move for them, like the two you cited above.
    I listed the jumps from memory and conflagrated two different edge jump sequences. The one posted here is actually 1A-1L-halfL-2S. I remember there was also one with a falling leaf in the middle.
    ETA: Asada's 3A was in IN's top 10 last night - which 3A would you choose between: Asada's or Midori Ito's?
    Ito's by a mile. For one thing, she fell on it a lot less often, plus she rarely under-rotated it like Asada does. Asada's 3 axle is almost always an iffy will-she-won't-she thing. Ito's was usually a no doubter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    Yunabots out in force, I guess.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    some of these choices are "neither," and it wont give me the kwan spiral
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Ito's by a mile. For one thing, she fell on it a lot less often, plus she rarely under-rotated it like Asada does. Asada's 3 axle is almost always an iffy will-she-won't-she thing. Ito's was usually a no doubter.
    I agree that as a jump, in terms of technique, height and length I would rate Ito's over Asada's, however, I'm not sure the argument that Ito fell on it less often really holds true - I can't find information on attempts in competition versus landed, but Asada has certainly landed many more triple axels in competition in total than Ito ever did which means she attempted many more too so the hit rate is going to be less given that she started doing them earlier than Ito did and continued to do them later on too - Mao holds the record for both youngest and oldest female skater to land a triple axel in competition.

As to the under-rotation issue - it was never under the same scrutiny in Ito's day as in Asada's, and even with super slo-mo it's a crap shoot what the judges say - there are times when Asada's been hit with < and << and I just can't see it, and there have been times when it's been called without qualification and I would certainly have given it < so who knows. That said, given how big and easy Ito's triple axel was when she landed it, I'd also doubt she under-rotated many if any of her landed triple axels.

vCash
    Yunabots out in force, I guess.
    But how? I mean, I'd love to vote for Zhang's pearl spin more, but in like 100 votes, I've gotten it once.
    So how can the Yuna fans be managing to constantly get her moves? (Unless they are down voting other top moves, to make them seem weaker in comparison?)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast