Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Shibutanis thread

This is a thread for any discussion about the Shibutanis, both fans and non fans. What is things looking like for them now. They are still young, 20 and 22, and could potentially do another 2 Olympic cycles and even be around for 2024. However they talked about considering retirement after the Games. They have already done alot, a world medal, many U.S medals, and an Olympics, but they have yet to follow up on the potential showed of their world bronze. The field is now opened up, especialy with the unexpected I&K split, but they still have to face teams like Weaver & Poje, Cappelini & Lanotte, Bobrova & Soloviev, and Chock & Bates who have passed them in the U.S and are coming closer to that world podium. So what is their future hold and situation moving forward. Will they even compete until 2018. Will they win another world medal ever. Will they someday become a dominant team and win lots of world titles and an Olympics.

vCash
    Current discussion can be found in the U.S. ice dance news thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4224736
    Excerpt from the Icenetwork's Worlds FD recap article linked from there:
    "This has been a strong competition for us overall," Maia said. "We feel like we really upped our game since the Olympics and the early part of the season. Putting out two solid programs at this point of the season will really help us as we continue forward."

"We were aggressive and attacked every practice and every performance to make the most of the opportunity [and] to show people what they can look forward to from us for the coming years," Alex said.

He went on to confirm that he and his younger sister plan to continue competing and training under Zoueva.

"Next year starts right away for us," he said. "We have a great team of coaches around us; we really trust Marina. I know we are going to come up with some great stuff over the next four years."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Glad to hear they plan to continue to compete. I like them a lot.

vCash
    ^

vCash
    I like them too.

And Alex wins at Twitter.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    I'm thrilled they are continuing, but a bit disappointed they are staying with Zoueva. They have to see that they are not getting better: US teams are passing them, international teams are passing them. What change are they planning to make to remedy that?

Or maybe they enjoy skating and just want to keep doing it while they finish school, in Michigan, and placements don't matter? Who knows... but if results matter, they are sticking somewhere that just is not working.

vCash
    Perhaps if V&M and D&W retire as expected, Zoueva will have more time to dedicate to The Shibutanis next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I'm thrilled they are continuing, but a bit disappointed they are staying with Zoueva. They have to see that they are not getting better: US teams are passing them, international teams are passing them. What change are they planning to make to remedy that?

Or maybe they enjoy skating and just want to keep doing it while they finish school, in Michigan, and placements don't matter? Who knows... but if results matter, they are sticking somewhere that just is not working.
    I think they are very happy with what they have already achieved- a worlds medal, many trips to worlds, Olympians, a grand prix win and other grand prix medals. At this point they are mostly doing it for fun and to skate the best they can, and if they win medals it is a bonus. I dont think they would move away from Michigan unless they are still skating past 2018. They dont want to uproot their family situation, their school situation, etc...

vCash
    Judgejudy- that's pretty much what I suggested in my second paragraph- that they just want to keep skating and finish school up.

Have any other dancers won a world medal in their first appearance?

vCash
    Judgejudy- that's pretty much what I suggested in my second paragraph- that they just want to keep skating and finish school up.

May be Grishchuk & Platov (92 worlds)?

vCash
    Grishuk & Platov's first World's were in 1990. They skated to Zorba the Greek for their FD and the OSP dance was a Samba.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash

Krylova/Fedorov at 1993 Worlds (I heard they stole ordinals from Grishuk/Platov). They split after a disappointing 1993-1994 season, and I think Linichuk thought Ovsyannikov would be a better partner for Krylova. I do think Krylova/Ovsyannikov had a better look on the ice.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Krylova/Fedorov at 1993 Worlds (I heard they stole ordinals from Grishuk/Platov). They split after a disappointing 1993-1994 season, and I think Linichuk thought Ovsyannikov would be a better partner for Krylova. I do think Krylova/Ovsyannikov had a better look on the ice.
    You are right. I remember Krylova-Fedorov. I thought they were pretty good, but I absolutely loved Keylova-Ovssianikov, with their long lines and passion.

vCash
    I think it is all about the right programs and right look for them. Technically they are on par with the best teams in the world today now that Davis & White and Virtue & Moir retired. So the TES to potentially win world medals should be there, as long as they hit their levels and execute to their potential. However their PCS will always hold them back from winning medals unless they find the right programs and packaging for themselves.

vCash
    I love them but I dont see a huge future for them. Not a bad one, just not a great one, in skating that is. I see alot more top 10 finishes, maybe the odd top 5, and a real fight to even make the 2018 Olympic team. I see Chock & Bates and Hubbel & Donohue the top 2 U.S teams by then (in either order) and who knows who else emerges by then. I dont see them ever winning another world medal even if they compete another 8 years.

vCash
    Zoueva should have more time to dedicate to The Shibutanis next season with V&M and D&W most likely no longer in her stable.

Are brother/sister teams less common today than they were a few decades ago? I'm wondering if the perception of them has changed over time. I'm trying to think back in time to whether they were more common in the earlier days of dance (and pairs). I seem to remember they used to be much more common in pairs, and it seems like there are fewer of them in today's environment.

vCash
    I cant believe some are writing the Shibs off. They are 19 and 21. That is incredibly young. They could easily be around for 3 more Olympics, another 12 years maybe even. They still could become one of the best ever, anything is still possible. At the least there could be many more world medals and an Olympic medal in their future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    Are brother/sister teams less common today than they were a few decades ago? I'm wondering if the perception of them has changed over time. I'm trying to think back in time to whether they were more common in the earlier days of dance (and pairs). I seem to remember they used to be much more common in pairs, and it seems like there are fewer of them in today's environment.
    they were most popular in western cultures where skating was a family activity and the projection of love for entertainment value wasn't a big deal. Then when eastern countries saw these more neglected divisions as a chance to break into the medal count, they started pairing strangers under the state system and played up the lovey doves angle as an edge. A lot of eastern pairs wed. Most western teams don't, even those not related to each other aren't romantically involved for the most part.

vCash
    The Shibs need another free dance like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1ONEuW7RxE

Sad to say that their 2009 Junior Worlds FD is probably their best choreographed FD.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast