Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Denise Biellmann

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1_QiK85KRg

So ahead of her time. Watching that, I can't believe that just 4 years earlier Dorothy (and I love her) won the Olympics without a triple

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1_QiK85KRg

So ahead of her time. Watching that, I can't believe that just 4 years earlier Dorothy (and I love her) won the Olympics without a triple
    What's even more remarkable is that she kept up her technical ability for 15 years.

I didn't care for some of her more ... shall we say ... "provocative" pro programs, but this will always be one of the greatest pro performances, of any skater:

Denise Biellman "On Golden Pond" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKYQxRteuis

vCash
    Another skater you say damn those figures!

vCash
    She's awesome. How bad were her figures?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    She's awesome. How bad were her figures?
    They were terrible. She was never higher than 12th up to and including the 1980 Olympics. I think she came 4th in figures at the 1981 worlds she won, but that was probably a combination of a weak post Olympic field and the judges holding her up in figures so she could win her first world title.

vCash
    And,...not to be missed:

2011 Europeans Gala (Special Guest)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyOAtjNaKQQ

vCash
    Her marks at the 1980 Olympics were crazy. She deserved much higher marks than the other ladies, but barely won the LP and with the artistic mark the tiebreak would have lost it to Fratianne. Had she been scored correctly in the short and long she might have passed Dagmar Lurch for the bronze, even with her figures deficit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rollingrace View Post
    ... Had she been scored correctly in the short and long she might have passed Dagmar Lurch for the bronze, even with her figures deficit.
    Her free skating left something to be desired, but I wouldn't call her Dagmar 'Lurch'

vCash
    She's the reason Katarina Witt won in 1984. If Denise hadn't retired and continued the Olympic cycle, she would have been champion.

vCash
    I've always fantasized about Denise Biellmann in Sarajevo '84. But, she was not always super consistent. She would have won if she participated and delivered: Competent figures would've put her in striking distance, a clean SP w/ a 3-2 and a LP w/ 4 triples would've done the trick. But if you recall, Witt won the SP at '81 Worlds when Biellmann doubled her combo. Also, Biellmann fell apart at '80 Worlds in the LP

Nonetheless, Biellmann would've made Sarajevo a 3 way race and tons more interesting

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    I'm not the authority on artistry, but I've always thought her 1988 pro performance was very musical, athletic, amazing. It just felt like she was going out there and throwing her all in to it, which I always appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VANy2DIMSLg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beyoncerocks View Post
    Another skater you say damn those figures!
    Do you have any clips of the figures round? Of any skaters those days? Thank you in advance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I've always fantasized about Denise Biellmann in Sarajevo '84. But, she was not always super consistent. She would have won if she participated and delivered: Competent figures would've put her in striking distance, a clean SP w/ a 3-2 and a LP w/ 4 triples would've done the trick. But if you recall, Witt won the SP at '81 Worlds when Biellmann doubled her combo. Also, Biellmann fell apart at '80 Worlds in the LP

Nonetheless, Biellmann would've made Sarajevo a 3 way race and tons more interesting
    Biellmann could have dominated not just until 1984, but until 1988. The only skater who came around in that period with more talent than her was Chin, but Chin was a 1 year fluke it turned out.

vCash
    I think if Biellmann had stuck around until 1988, other factors would've come into the picture such as - would judges have continued to give her good scores? Judges and TPTB have a tendency to hold skaters back they feel have overstayed their welcome. Also, Ladies were beginning to attempt 5 triple programs and Biwllmann's age (skating age) may have presented an obstacle

vCash
    The judges never seemed to feel Witt overstayed her welcome and Denise in 78-81 was already doing more technically than Witt ever did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertmirsh View Post
    The judges never seemed to feel Witt overstayed her welcome and Denise in 78-81 was already doing more technically than Witt ever did.
    Witt debuted at 1980 Worlds at the age of 14. Biellmann debuted in the mid 70s, I believe. The CAN commentators mention she won Jr. Worlds in 1974. If both were to skate until 1988, one would definitely have been viewed as having been around much longer than the other.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    Biellmann could have dominated not just until 1984, but until 1988. The only skater who came around in that period with more talent than her was Chin, but Chin was a 1 year fluke it turned out.
    In 1980 Biellmann competed at NHK, and when saw a 10 year old Ito perform in exhibit Denise said she was glad she did not have to compete against Midori.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    I'm not the authority on artistry, but I've always thought her 1988 pro performance was very musical, athletic, amazing. It just felt like she was going out there and throwing her all in to it, which I always appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VANy2DIMSLg
    Interesting that 1984 and 1988 were brought up earlier since in this particular competition, Denise handily defeated someone from the 1984 Olympic cycle as well as the 1988 Olympic cycle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    In 1980 Biellmann competed at NHK, and when saw a 10 year old Ito perform in exhibit Denise said she was glad she did not have to compete against Midori.
    Figures would have taken Ito out of any concern for Denise though. Denise usually was just as awful but she did climb to 4th in figures by the 81 worlds so must have improved.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Witt debuted at 1980 Worlds at the age of 14. Biellmann debuted in the mid 70s, I believe. The CAN commentators mention she won Jr. Worlds in 1974. If both were to skate until 1988, one would definitely have been viewed as having been around much longer than the other.
    How did she manage that? Junior Worlds didn't start until 1976 in Megeve Denise made her senior Worlds début in 1976 at Gothenburg. Never seen footage but I have read accounts that she did try the triple lutz there. When most western skaters competed senior internationally for 1 quad (and a bit in some cases), her retirement in 1981 shouldn't be such a surprise but of course, she was so young.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast