Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I think it's a political thing. Pairs OGM is the crown jewel of Russian skating and Russia is a powerful federation. China is probably the only other country that would put in the same amount of resources (financial, political, and otherwise) so her chances would greatly improve representing China or Russia. S&S were very undermarked in 2012, especially with Pina. I don't think V&T's wins were undeserved... it so happened that every time they beat S&S, V&T did outskate them and S&S also were able to beat them when they outskated them (GPF this year)... but politically a clean V&T had a huge advantage over S&S which I didn't think was right (I don't think both teams ever went clean at the same time though). I think it was a confidence booster for V&T to know that as long as they skated clean they would be 99% likely to win. Savchenko would always be the underdog if skating for Germany or France.
    OK fine, I agree with you in that. That´s pretty much why S/S have pulled stunts like that thrown axel.....
    But still, the usual support from german fed might have helped to decline this gap. S/S/S can be considered as self- made gold medallists in Worlds and Euros.....which makes me wonder, what would have been in there with all the support from the german country...

Sabre-rattler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJD View Post
    Thank you for that! If you don't mind, I'd love to read the rest!
    As Sylvia pointed out, la.louise summarized it very well upthread:

Quote Originally Posted by la.louise View Post
    More news: http://www.fr-online.de/sport/savche...,asTicker.html

- There has been some drama behind the scenes, Robin and Aliona were invited to do some shows in Japan, but Robin declined. He wants to go home with his girlfriend. Aliona doesn’t understand Robin. They could earn 45000 dollar in 3 days. But Robin has enough of all the backstage drama.

-Aliona and Ingo wanted to announce the new partnership at the end of April (I guess after the Imagine on ice show, Aliona and Robin’s own show in Chemnitz ). But Robin’s girlfriend apparently told Daria Popova the news and Aliona and Ingo now blame Robin for not keeping his mouth shut. Robin doesn’t agree, but he doesn’t want to say anything, because that can only make things worse.

- Aliona has other options, if things with Massot won’t work out. She has offers from different russian men.

- Steuer wants to start an international team in Chemnitz, which might include Florent Amodio.

I really hope Aliona and Robin can work things out
    Like a leaf on the wind

vCash
    I like Aliona so dont wish her bad but Bruno was so mean dumping Popova I hope the team does horrible, Aliona dumps Bruno, and Bruno goes crying back to Daria and their old coach and they refuse him.

vCash
    I don't think Daria's exactly perfect -- she certainly was the MUCH weaker part of the pair. A partnership is not, despite metaphors used, a marriage -- no one is promising "til death do us part" before God and family, are they?

vCash
    She looked mad at him in the kiss and cry all year so she probably would have dumped his sorry ass anyway so it was probably more her leaving him than vice versa anyway. His going to Savchenko, just saved him from being dumped. Anyway she will go to the Olympics and he never will mark my words. She will have the last laugh in the end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanoverrated View Post
    I like Aliona so dont wish her bad but Bruno was so mean dumping Popova I hope the team does horrible, Aliona dumps Bruno, and Bruno goes crying back to Daria and their old coach and they refuse him.
    Bruno had a chance to skate with a world champion (5x). I can't really blame him for seizing that opportunity. I don't know if he dumped Popova because of this, or if they were already struggling/not working out. I understand your feelings though.

vCash
    Really? Sorry, but France and Germany are packed with top tier skaters who can beat Daria and Aliona? Like the rest of Europe isn't where 2nd tier Russian pair skaters go to make the olys?

vCash
    I think they will be a great pair. He had no choice to dump his current partner to get a better result and he'll definitely get it with Aliona. I think this may be a lesson to many teams that if they don't work well enough and get the results one or both want they could possibly lose their partner for a better one.

With that said, as good as Aliona is and as good as Bruno can get, S/S were beat at two Olympics by two teams I have my doubts about her OMG dream. I hope she is doing it to continue skating and not just for the OGM. Too bad about Robin, but she wants to skate.

vCash
    I am dying to know who are the russian guys, which ingo actually has in his hand, if the partnership with massot will not work out
    rogonov is the most plausible, maybe enbert; but hell, look how what drama was made around iliusheckina, the russia fed will never release a potential gold medal guy with aliona to go on competition against the other russian teams

vCash
    I think it's a bit hard on Daria who worked her butt off so that she could achieve more. She still had problems figuring how to get to her best weight but still this years she was way above her form of last years.

And I do not think it'll be wise to skate for France with DG trying so hard to undermine any medal chance we might have !
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Wow, this is unexpected news. Aliona sure is motivated! I just hope this isn't one of those cases of an unhealthy obsession with the Olympic gold. IIRC Michelle Kwan was that way for a while and it took her a long time to get past it, no? It's sad to hear that Aliona and Robin's partnership may have ended on negative terms. I hope they can get past this and maintain a good relationship even if they don't skate together ever again. Let's hope that Massot can quickly get up to speed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I don't think V&T's wins were undeserved... it so happened that every time they beat S&S, V&T did outskate them and S&S also were able to beat them when they outskated them (GPF this year)... but politically a clean V&T had a huge advantage over S&S which I didn't think was right (I don't think both teams ever went clean at the same time though). I think it was a confidence booster for V&T to know that as long as they skated clean they would be 99% likely to win. Savchenko would always be the underdog if skating for Germany or France.
    Clean S&S lost the SP to clean V&T at both the GPF and the Olympics. V&T got extremely high marks for the FS even though they have made some mistakes. Even if S&S had skated clean with a th3a, they probably wouldn't have managed to win the gold.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanoverrated View Post
    How it is mean to decide to stop skating with a partner who is not consistent?
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-31-2014 at 03:09 PM.

vCash
    It worked for Artur Dmitriev, so it may work for Aliona. I believe Oksana Kazakova was a much weaker skater before Artur took her under his wing and made her Olympic champion material. It may be the same with Bruno.

vCash
    ^ yes. But it's the fans that suffered. That Nagano SP death spiral still gives me nightmares! I'm just shocked Aliona isn't partnering up with Plushy

vCash
    Well, this doesn't sound good. I hope Robin feels to need to get some stuff off of his chest. Can't let the Russian ice dancers hog all the drama!

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/03/31/70479668

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by newbatgirl View Post
    Well, this doesn't sound good. I hope Robin feels to need to get some stuff off of his chest. Can't let the Russian ice dancers hog all the drama!

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/03/31/70479668
    Nothing really new there, except now it's in English. It mainly sounds like they all need a break from each other, and I imagine they'll patch all this up eventually.

vCash
    Do we know what shows in Japan Robin decided to opt out of?

It does seem kind of odd he wouldn't stick things out just a little while longer if $45,000 was on the line... Makes me think we definitely do not know the whole story.

Is the reason being given for him opting out that he was upset Aliona was moving on? Because that does not really make sense to me... why would he be mad at that if he was willingly choosing to retire?

I loved them so much, it's sad to hear things did not end happily with each just going their separate ways. I hope they do patch things up, even without an OGM, they had a wonderful career they should be thrilled with!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blademate View Post
    Must be the shows in Osaka: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...April-5-6-2014
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash

It does seem kind of odd he wouldn't stick things out just a little while longer if $45,000 was on the line... Makes me think we definitely do not know the whole story.

Is the reason being given for him opting out that he was upset Aliona was moving on? Because that does not really make sense to me... why would he be mad at that if he was willingly choosing to retire?

I loved them so much, it's sad to hear things did not end happily with each just going their separate ways. I hope they do patch things up, even without an OGM, they had a wonderful career they should be thrilled with!
    "The 34-year-old Szolkowy, who teamed with the Ukrainian-born Savchenko in 2003, told reporters in Sochi he would like to finish his competitive career.
    "My body does not allow these difficult jumps and some other elements anymore," he said. "Sometimes I feel like a wet sack of garbage."

"The 30-year-old Savchenko told the media she wanted to compete in Saitama, and perhaps beyond, with a new partner....
    On Thursday, after winning the world title for the fifth time, Savchenko said in the press conference, "I feel young enough to continue."
    Sorry, I think she's kidding herself. :

vCash
    I can imagine he was counting on doing shows for a few years which would net him a good amount of money, with Aliona changing partners that is unlikely to/won't happen, perhaps he feels that doing those shows in Japan will only serve to fund her upcoming training costs and he doesn't want to take part in that because he feels screwed out of his pro career.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast