Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Video interview with Aljona Savchenko and Bruno Massot in German and French (written English translation provided) on our homepage www.figureskating-online.com: http://www.figureskating-online.com/...ko-massot.html
    Thank you, Eislauffan!

For the German posters, is there any hope the German fed might pay Ingo? Or is it basically a lost cause? I'd hate to see the drama if they're skating for France and Didier stays pres...

vCash
    Look in German skating thread. Ingo has given Germany's ministry of internal affairs an ultimatum. About time too. As I posted in that thread ...

Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ...And about time! I applaud Ingo for staying so loyal as long as he has, through thick and thin. Mostly thin, in terms of Germany's (ministry of sport/ internal affairs) attitude toward him.

"Soft you, a word or two before I go. I have done the state some service, and they know it." -- Shakespeare's Othello
    Last edited by aftershocks; 06-19-2014 at 08:05 PM.

vCash
    Copied over from the German news thread (posted on June 15):
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish-Angel View Post
    Some news: Ingo Steuer sets an ultimatum to the german ministry of internal affairs. According to "Die Zeit" he demands a decision from the DEU and the ministry unil the end of June. Otherwise he´ll leave Germany.

http://www.zeit.de/news/2014-06/11/w...chsel-11133003
    Danke for your latest video interview and English translation, Eislauffan!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks! Guess we'll know soon enough! And good for him! It's about time he gets an actual decision!

vCash
    Article & photo by dpa today on Savchenko/Massot (in German):
    http://www.moz.de/sport/sport/artike...g/0/1/1290759/

Content similar to what they said in the video interview (posted above). They also confirm that they hope to have a decision by the German and French Federations by the end of June. The German NOC president confirms that he hopes they can find a solution to keep Aliona and Ingo Steuer in Germany. Steuer is quoted saying that he thinks it is realistic to say that they can fight for the gold in Korea in 2018.

I used to live in Adam's curls, but he cut them - so now I'm homeless. =o(
    vCash
    He's so sooo unattractive.... kidding omg

vCash

For whom to skate

Has anyone discussed or approached any Ukrainian oligarchs to sponsor Aliona and Bruno and have them rep Ukraine? (Or, even sponsor the Ukranienne federation...)

As much as I want to see the beautiful MASSOT skate for France, Ukraine needs it more; and one skater would rep his/her home country.

vCash

vCash
    From the above article:

The coach also has offers from other national skating federations, but he didn't want to name them.
    Azerbaijan, I am guessing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    Has anyone discussed or approached any Ukrainian oligarchs to sponsor Aliona and Bruno and have them rep Ukraine? (Or, even sponsor the Ukranienne federation...)

As much as I want to see the beautiful MASSOT skate for France, Ukraine needs it more; and one skater would rep his/her home country.

a) Do you really think a real Ukrainian oligarch would sponsor a team made of grenouille, sports-defector and stasi-snitch?
    b) Do you really think that grenouille, sports-defector and stasi-snitch want a Ukrainian citizenship?

I must say though... Alyona and MASSOT look gooooood together! well matched.

vCash
    FYI, a new article was posted in the German news thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by sus2850 View Post
    There is an MDR news report saying that there will be a meeting on July 18th where some officials will decide whether Ingo Steuer might get some sort of compensation for his work, apparently a compromise is possible. Ingo is quoted as saying that instead of an official salary it would be possible that he can get compensation for travel expenses and other expenses.
    It also says that Ingo wants them to compete for Germany.
    The report also quotes Aljona as saying that skating conditions in Chemnitz are way better than in Caen. But it is also mentions that France signalled to them that they probably won't release Bruno to skate for Germany.
    Ingo is then quoted as saying that this would not be too bad; they would have to sit out 2 years instead of one if he does not get released.

Then the article also quotes Ingo saying he has another offer from a different federation. It would be a four year contract "and his life insurance".

My question: Is he right with the 2 years? I mean Lubov apparently still is not released by Russia.
    And I think messing with the French federation is not a good idea. I again wonder whether the absence of German skaters at next seasons's TEB has something to do with this new pairing.

Here is the article
    http://www.mdr.de/sport/andere_sport...stlauf162.html
    Link to the original post and subsequent discussion: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4289580
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Decision time looms for pair Savchenko, Massot: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/07/09/83855050
    Excerpts:
    On July 18, a commission appointed by Germany's interior ministry will rule whether the pair's coach, Ingo Steuer, can receive public money for his work. (The former East German, who won the 1997 world pairs title with Mandy Wötzel, worked for the Stasi secret police as a youth, an association that has prevented him from receiving government funding for many years.) If Steuer is denied the money, Savchenko and Massot will compete for France.
    The German interior ministry's decision will also impact where Savchenko and Masso train. The Chemnitz rink is a public facility and will not donate free ice time to a non-German couple. Steuer is fielding several offers, and may move to France, Florida or Toronto.

"One offer is a contract which runs for four years; it is like [an annuity] for me," Steuer said. "I would like to stay in Chemnitz because this is my hometown; I have family here. I am hoping for a compromise because I want to coach the pair for Germany until an Olympic victory in 2018."
    Even if the interior ministry decides in Steuer's favor, there are obstacles. The president of the French skating federation, Didier Gailhaguet -- who last month fought off a challenge from Gwendal Peizerat to gain re-election -- told German skating officials at the recent ISU congress that France may not release Massot to compete for Germany. This means the pair would have to wait two years before it is allowed to compete for Germany.
    Either way, the skaters will leave Chemnitz at the end of July, when the rink closes for the summer. They plan to go to Coral Springs, Florida, to train with John Zimmerman's group. While there, Steuer also plans to work with U.S. skaters, including Zimmerman's top pupils, 2013 world junior champions Haven Denney and Brandon Frazier. When they return to Chemnitz in September, they will announce their decision: Germany or France.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-09-2014 at 09:14 PM.

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia!
    FLORIDA!!! I vote for that route, much closer to me September sure is a long time!

vCash
    A two-year break from competition seems too long. Two years is a lifetime in skating--so much can happen. Aliona is a huge name in pairs skating, but even her brand would dim a bit over 2 years. Plus it just seems like it would be difficult to maintain intense training without the pressure of having to prepare for competitions, and they would miss out on exposure to other top pairs at competitions.

That said, Shen/Zhao came back successfully after a 2 year break, and so did Gordeeva/Grinkov after a 3 year break, so maybe it is possible, although not optimal.

vCash
    It could be an advantage though, because if Aliona as to maintain her competitive shape for only 2 years instead of 3 it might be easier for her body to cope with injuries and difficulties.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyinna View Post
    It could be an advantage though, because if Aliona as to maintain her competitive shape for only 2 years instead of 3 it might be easier for her body to cope with injuries and difficulties.
    It can be advantage that she doesn't have to be it top competitive shape for those two years, but at the same time Aliona will have to be putting in much more effort than Shen/Zhao and Gordeeva/Grinkov, because S/Z and G/G did not change partners. Coming back with the same partner after not competing for 2 years (but still skating together in shows during that time) is completely different than coming back after not competing for two years and trying to learn all those hard elements together (different timing on throws, twist, possibly even jumps, different spins etc).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    That said, Shen/Zhao came back successfully after a 2 year break, and so did Gordeeva/Grinkov after a 3 year break, so maybe it is possible, although not optimal.
    Those were established partnerships with a reputation to match. Savchenko/Massot are still an unproven pair together. They need more than a season and a half if they want to establish themselves in time for the 2018 Olympics.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    The time issue is what it is and they'll just have to deal with it. Whether or not they are competitive as a team depends on them. My money is on Savchenko and Steuer's drive and determination to be Olympic champions. They'll do whatever they have to do.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    The time issue is what it is and they'll just have to deal with it. Whether or not they are competitive as a team depends on them. My money is on Savchenko and Steuer's drive and determination to be Olympic champions. They'll do whatever they have to do.
    While I agree with Savchenko and Steuer's drive and determination, the body has some limitations. Although Aliona is very fit, she hopes she will be doing elements that are pushing the sport boundaries (3A or quad throw jump) and that needs much more practice to get that than if they went for the common throw jumps. If she gets injured, no drive and determination will help her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Those were established partnerships with a reputation to match. Savchenko/Massot are still an unproven pair together. They need more than a season and a half if they want to establish themselves in time for the 2018 Olympics.
    I agree . . . they will need to establish/build their reputation if they want a serious shot at OGM, and not only will they face Volosozhar/Trankov and Stolbova/Klimov, I think it is entirely possible that Peng/Zhang will be serious contenders by that point as well and, who knows, possibly one of the newer Russian teams too.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast