Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Really, it was short-sighted of her to skate at this year's Worlds. She should have sat them out like Volosozhar so she could have done 2015 Worlds.

I also think, judging by these photos and the fact that they're already skating in a show, Savchenko/Massot are gunners and would be bored and restless sitting around for a very long period of time without doing competitions other than Nationals. Clearly, they want to be seen, and the next season or two are an opportune time if V/T take time off and plan to start up again in 2017. France seems to have more national competitions than Germany as well so they could probably compete at French Masters or something.
    There was nothing to be gained for Volosozhar/Morozov by skating at 2010 Worlds, whereas Savchenko has her sights on a world title and a satisfying conclusion to her partnership with Szolkowy. Not to mention that they did not yet know who would be switching nationalities if the pairing works out - yet Massot also competed. If the two of them really want to make their debut next season, I think France has a reasonable chance of qualifying for the WTT, and they can do that.

I imagine they won't do a full complement of elements at ATS, but I can certainly see them competing at the Masters and Nationals assuming that they will be ready to beat J/C. I don't see them competing if they aren't ready to be the French no. 1s.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I always forget about WTT... that would be a great way to start in front of ISU judges.

vCash
    if the german federation are willing to release her it means they have no intention to change a thing about steuer case

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I always forget about WTT... that would be a great way to start in front of ISU judges.
    I agree, and a number of federations had skaters make their senior debuts at the WTT. The one disadvantage is that I think they won't be able to take advantage of the split/returning couples rules for GP assignments in that case, though presumably it would get them on the season's best list, and with the pairs fields being so thin it's not that difficult to get two assignments.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolas23 View Post
    if the german federation are willing to release her it means they have no intention to change a thing about steuer case
    It can´t be them, because really....they (DEU) can do nothing. That is a case for the DOSB (German Olympic Committee). They will have more say in that.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Since there were no partners for her in Germany, she would have had to sit out a year in any case to switch countries, even with a release. Since she had her sights set on Massot or Russian skaters as back-ups, the chances of any of them being released, based on behavior of the French and Russian skaters was slim-to-none, especially without a payoff, which the Russian Fed might have been amenable to if they weren't creating a team that could be competitive immediately with S/K and a couple of years down the road with V/T.

The difference between skipping Worlds and not is that with a release, she could have earned a minimum score with new partner at a February/March senior B and competed at Worlds 2015. Choosing closure of some kind at Worlds after convincing Szolkowy to compete there, might have given her satisfaction, and she's entitled to do what she wants, since Massot knew the score going into the partnership or was willing to accept a change of plans, but it was not good competitive strategy for someone who claims to want to win 2018 Olympics *at all costs*.

She may have been counting on Massot and thought that since he's going to Worlds, she might as well, if they were skating for Germany, since it wouldn't matter. Skating for France, it could matter a lot.

WTT isn't a given going forward, AFAIK, but it would be remarkably stupid of the ISU to sucker-punch the Japanese Federation by replacing it at Worlds with a TE taking the place of the SP in a combined Jr/Sr Worlds.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 04-28-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Aljona and Bruno look very nice together Both seem so happy.
    http://www.mdr.de/mediathek/suche/me...piegel&x=7&y=8

vCash
    Thank you, lily! Here's the direct link to the 2-minute German news video: http://www.mdr.de/mediathek/suche/vi...-d23ba9ff.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    can someone translate please

vCash
    The twist was huge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Since there were no partners for her in Germany, she would have had to sit out a year in any case to switch countries, even with a release. Since she had her sights set on Massot or Russian skaters as back-ups, the chances of any of them being released, based on behavior of the French and Russian skaters was slim-to-none, especially without a payoff, which the Russian Fed might have been amenable to if they weren't creating a team that could be competitive immediately with S/K and a couple of years down the road with V/T.

The difference between skipping Worlds and not is that with a release, she could have earned a minimum score with new partner at a February/March senior B and competed at Worlds 2015. Choosing closure of some kind at Worlds after convincing Szolkowy to compete there, might have given her satisfaction, and she's entitled to do what she wants, since Massot knew the score going into the partnership or was willing to accept a change of plans, but it was not good competitive strategy for someone who claims to want to win 2018 Olympics *at all costs*.
    She may have been counting on Massot and thought that since he's going to Worlds, she might as well, if they were skating for Germany, since it wouldn't matter. Skating for France, it could matter a lot.

WTT isn't a given going forward, AFAIK, but it would be remarkably stupid of the ISU to sucker-punch the Japanese Federation by replacing it at Worlds with a TE taking the place of the SP in a combined Jr/Sr Worlds.
    Thanks a lot for clearance, Kwanfan. I just think, that they (S/M) will compete whenever they may be ready for it. But seriously, don´t you think, a half year of training will be enough for them? I mean, OK they could earn some points for the worlds 2015, but what´s to gain for her (with 5 World titles)? Another World Championship (and that won´t be the case)? A few points for what? I get it that they might have to build up a reputation as a new pair.....a year sooner or later I still don´t see the point to hurry it.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    If they are trying for a repeat of V/T's success at their first Worlds, becoming an immediate contenders for the title, then competing there could have bern worth the risk. V/T even had new a new rink and coaching situation, with Morosov trying to teach Trankov new twist and IIRC throw technique, and Trankov said they were a mess together for the first six months; still they managed to get silver, within a little over seven points of S/S.

Massot has the advantage of already having been coached by Steuer, who knows them both well, and Steuer has already had much more experience coaching a top pair, while Mozer was figuring it out as she went along in V/T's first years. ( for Mozer for having figured it out and for letting her team do their jobs.) S/M have a bit of a jump on V/T in that sense.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish-Angel View Post
    It can´t be them, because really....they (DEU) can do nothing. That is a case for the DOSB (German Olympic Committee). They will have more say in that.
    Isn't it the Federal Ministry of the Interior that is ultimately making that shot?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolas23 View Post
    can someone translate please
    First the reporter introduced Bruno Massot as Alionas partner. Ingo mentioned the gloom in Alionas eyes.... and giving credits to both how good they would match together, and how good they are to work with. It is mentioned that of all candidates, Bruno was the desired candidate. Bruno talked about the extraordinary chance skating with her, and that he will do his best. The reporter speaks about the question which is still open: for which country will they start. He said that this question basically comes down to which country will pay Ingo as a coach. It is explained, that if they will skate for France they´ll have to sit out a year (with clearance), if they skate for Germany it is two years (without clearance).
    Aliona is asked where they will locate. She said that they will start in Chemnitz and see what time brings, and where they are going to be later. She hopes that they will stay in Chemnitz, because she couldn´t think of a better place.
    Ingo said, that if Germany will pay him, and find a way to finance them, they will sit out two years.
    At the end the reporter mentioned All that Skate at the weekend, which will be their first appearance together.

vCash
    Double post, sorry!

vCash
    thanks irish-angel

vCash
    in my opinion it's risky to sit two years

vCash
    @ Ziggy:
    Yup exactly, and the only committee who can put some pressure on their backs is the DOSB which has way more weight as the DEU. It is possible apparently, because with a little pressure from the DSV (Ski fed) one of the other Stasi charged coaches went to Torino (Olys) pretty much undisturbed, while Ingo had to put up a interim injunction against the judgement. Look I wouldn´t say anything if Steuer would be the only one who was accused. But apparently it were three coaches, one of them is still working until today as a coach in competitive sport.

vCash
    I don't understand how anyone can expect Savchenko& Massot to be challenging for medals at the their first or even second worlds - they are light years from being equivalent to V&T who in their previous partnerships had each gone as high as 4th at worlds (and were often a place or two away from each other) and were usually next to each other placement wise at Europeans where Murkartova& Trankov got silver and two bronzes. The best two skaters from two reasonably comparable (talent and result wise) pairs were taken to create a better pair than their previous pairings.

Absolutely no disrecpect meant to Massot, but he is the weaker skater compared to Savchenko by quite a large margin, evident even from the clips of them practising. He will have to do a lot of work in the next couple of years to get up to standard, and even then I think they'll be lucky to squeak out a medal at worlds or Europeans.

I really do look forward to seeing them skate and seeing what they can do, however, expectations that they will pick up where Savchenko & Szolkowy left off seems pretty unrealistic, and Savchenko seems to be the one who thinks this will be the case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I don't understand how anyone can expect Savchenko& Massot to be challenging for medals at the their first or even second worlds - they are light years from being equivalent to V&T who in their previous partnerships had each gone as high as 4th at worlds (and were often a place or two away from each other) and were usually next to each other placement wise at Europeans where Murkartova& Trankov got silver and two bronzes. The best two skaters from two reasonably comparable (talent and result wise) pairs were taken to create a better pair than their previous pairings.

Absolutely no disrecpect meant to Massot, but he is the weaker skater compared to Savchenko by quite a large margin, evident even from the clips of them practising. He will have to do a lot of work in the next couple of years to get up to standard, and even then I think they'll be lucky to squeak out a medal at worlds or Europeans.

I really do look forward to seeing them skate and seeing what they can do, however, expectations that they will pick up where Savchenko & Szolkowy left off seems pretty unrealistic, and Savchenko seems to be the one who thinks this will be the case.
    If Oksana Kazakova can be taught to skate and win Olympic Gold and Europeans within a couple of years, I think anything is possible

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast