Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Time will tell if Aliona is as great a pair skater as Artur Dmitriev who could turn a brick wall into an Olympic champion because he was good enough to skate for two it's all down to Steuer and Aliona now. It will be an interesting project.

Funnily enough, in '98 Woetzel and Steuer lost to Kazakova and Dmitriev in Nagano.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    I watched the video and both Steuer and Aliona very heavily implied that Robins girlfriend was a problem and that she tried to come in between Robin and Aliona. They are definitely blaming her. I love Steuer and Aliona - what a dream team! They should ditch Bruno and skate together
    Ladys and gents, you´re watching "War and peace" on ice Robin go start studying psychology, they might need some quite exclusive pairs therapy

But seriously my respect for Robin grows bigger and bigger ....A & S are certainly no peace of cake ...
    Last edited by Irish-Angel; 04-07-2014 at 10:53 PM.

vCash
    When are we likely to see this awesome new pair (Aliona/Bruno) skate? What could be their first competitive outing?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I watched the video and both Steuer and Aliona very heavily implied that Robins girlfriend was a problem and that she tried to come in between Robin and Aliona.
    There was a past girlfriend who was reported to have jealously guarded Szolkowy to the point where S/S couldn't share a congratulatory kiss after completing a program. (At least she wasn't as bad as Gusmeroli, who insisted that Carron/Jost's *programs* be so PG-rated that Mrs. Shibutani would approve.) With his self-described tendency to avoid confrontation, maybe he has a type that takes over. What could be worse than having someone else take control over what you were used to controlling?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    There was a past girlfriend who was reported to have jealously guarded Szolkowy to the point where S/S couldn't share a congratulatory kiss after completing a program. (At least she wasn't as bad as Gusmeroli, who insisted that Carron/Jost's *programs* be so PG-rated that Mrs. Shibutani would approve.) With his self-described tendency to avoid confrontation, maybe he has a type that takes over. What could be worse than having someone else take control over what you were used to controlling?
    I don't think they have ever actually "shared" a congratulatory kiss

vCash
    Does any one know what Massot's ex partner is up to? I cant imagine her retiring. She is too young.

vCash
    From a new interview posted by somcutza: http://www.insideskating.net/2014/04...will-never-win
    Excerpt:
    How do you and Ingo look at the months in front of you? Starting from scratch with a different partner requires a lot of work… Are you ready for this?

Aliona: Yes, we are both ready for this and we are hungry to start working.

Ingo: ... After that [April 26 Chemnitz show], I’ll start training the new team of Aliona and Bruno; first in Chemnitz and later we will go to Coral Springs, Florida, and start working together with Silvia Fontana and John Zimmerman, as we did in the last couple of years.

Ingo, what kind of work needs to be done in order to turn Aliona and Bruno into a competitive pair?

Ingo: I know Aliona and I know Bruno and I know exactly what I have to do in order to turn them into a good, strong team! Of course, it will be a lot of work, but my intuition says we will have a lot of fun and it definitely won’t be boring.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I didn't realise that Ingo Steuer has collaborated with Fontana and Zimmerman, that's interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I didn't realise that Ingo Steuer has collaborated with Fontana and Zimmerman, that's interesting.
    He and S/S have spent some time in Coral Gables, Florida in May (I believe) when there was no ice in Chemnitz.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    Do Savchenko & Massot know yet whether they are skating for France or Germany?
    From the interview linked in post #247:
    France or Germany, when it comes to representing it? Have you made up your mind?

Ingo: We haven’t decided yet. We also need to wait for the decisions of the German and French federations, to know what plans they have and also what is best for us.
    From this German article: http://www.bz-berlin.de/sport/mehr-s...le1833503.html
    Diese Woche trainierte Aljona mit ihrem neuen Partner Bruno Massot (25/Frankreich) in Caen, übt erst seit Donnerstag wieder mit Robin in Chemnitz. Aljona: "Wir hatten eine erfolgreiche Zeit und haben uns diesen Abschied verdient."
    Google translation of the bolded excerpt above: "This week coached Aliona with her new partner Bruno Massot (25/Frankreich) in Caen, ..."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-26-2014 at 08:30 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thank-you for bumping this thread, Sylvia.

vCash
    Would love to have photos of them together surfacing already

vCash
    Haven't seen much of Massot so far, but he looks like a good-looking Frenchman.

Many Europeans speak multiple languages, so I assume one of them knows French/German and that they can communicate okay?

vCash
    Looks like Aljona plans to go already with Massot to All That Skate! That's fast.
    http://www.bild.de/sport/wintersport...3658.bild.html

vCash
    Google translation of an excerpt of the above article:
    While Szolkowy stops, Savchenko will in future run for France for allowing her new partner Bruno Massot comes from.

Alyona told Bild am Sonntag: "I would have preferred to continue much for Germany. I do not like it that I change nationality for the second time. "In 2002, she competed for her native Ukraine at the Olympics, 2006-2014 for Germany.

Our Ukrainian is now French!

The French association knows that Savchenko / Massot can win titles. Therefore, he is not free Massot. If the athlete still be German, the couple would block two years. So it remains at one. This is common in a United Nations-exchange, agree to both associations. The German Ice Skating Union (DEU) would release Savchenko.

vCash

vCash
    I can understand why there are some objections above to Savchenko switching nationality again. When you are an athlete you are a representing a country, and ideally you should have a connection to that country. You also need to pick one country to represent because the sports community and the general public will eventually object if there are too many changes of allegiance.

Obviously these international partnerships are challenging for the skaters, but I do agree that athletes cannot play musical chairs too many times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    Many Europeans speak multiple languages, so I assume one of them knows French/German and that they can communicate okay?
    Popova/Massot spent some time training with Steuer, so I doubt there will be any communication problems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Popova/Massot spent some time training with Steuer, so I doubt there will be any communication problems.
    That would make sense. As I said above, Europeans are usually farther ahead than we North Americans when it comes to learning languages.

vCash
    The article says they will skate for France because France won't release Massot and Germany (bizarrely) agreed to release Savchenko. She said if Germany were to reconsider and start paying Steuer she would even be prepared to take a 2-year ban into account because she would prefer to skate for Germany. However, as things stand, they will skate for France. Aliona said she wants the Gold medal in 2018 at all costs.

vCash
    The article says they will skate for France because France won't release Massot and Germany (bizarrely) agreed to release Savchenko. She said if Germany were to reconsider and start paying Steuer she would even be prepared to take a 2-year ban into account because she would prefer to skate for Germany. However, as things stand, they will skate for France. Aliona said she wants the Gold medal in 2018 at all costs.
    Oh no…

This has the potential to be soooo devastating

Hope she doesn't pull a Fusar-poli if he falls on her at Olympics

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast