Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    Oh no…

This has the potential to be soooo devastating

Hope she doesn't pull a Fusar-poli if he falls on her at Olympics
    Here's the 2006 Olympics OD of F-P & M: (some funny comments by EuroSport commentator at the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY08tShyvAo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    Oh no…

This has the potential to be soooo devastating
    Why it should be exactly the same..? I'm thrilled to see Savchenko-Massot already at All That Skate! At least intriguing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    The article says they will skate for France because France won't release Massot and Germany (bizarrely) agreed to release Savchenko. She said if Germany were to reconsider and start paying Steuer she would even be prepared to take a 2-year ban into account because she would prefer to skate for Germany. However, as things stand, they will skate for France. Aliona said she wants the Gold medal in 2018 at all costs.
    It´s getting even more bizarre: according to "Süddeutsche Zeitung" they will start for France but train in Chemnitz......According to them, "because the conditions are better". They were in Caen to check the conditions there.

But the decision doesn't seem to be final yet...

"Eine endgültige Entscheidung über einen möglichen Wechsel der Staatsbürgerschaft soll in den kommenden Monaten fallen. "Der deutsche Verband berät noch", sagte Trainer Ingo Steuer. (Süddeutsche Zeitung)

Translation: "A final decision about changing Nationalities again will be made in the upcoming months. "The german federation is still taking counsel", coach Ingo Steuer said.

Here is the link: http://www.sueddeutsche.de/news/spor...40427-99-01439
    Last edited by Irish-Angel; 04-27-2014 at 12:43 PM.

vCash
    If Aliona hopes to get french citizenship, it will be much easier for her if she actually lives in France.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyinna View Post
    If Aliona hopes to get french citizenship, it will be much easier for her if she actually lives in France.
    Yes, but it looks like the whole for thraining needed infrastructure is better in Chemnitz. In addition, this is one of the cheapest cities in Germany with regard to the cost of living.

vCash
    I get why they would train in Chemnitz, but if she doesn't speak french and doesn't live in France, it could be harder for her to get french citizenship before 2018.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyinna View Post
    And eats croissants and baguettes

vCash
    I kinda knew that Didier G. would never release Bruno. That's the stance the French Fed has been taking for years. It ruined the career of Blanchard who could have skated for Russia earlier in his career. Now, in the unlikely event that Gwendal gets elected as the French Fed President, he would probably take a more human stance. That may be the reason why they are waiting 3 months.
    If Aliona and Bruno have good results and are potential Olympic medalists, Aliona will get her French citizenship in no time. A French politician will step in and help.

vCash
    Quite a public debut if in fact Savchenko/Massot will perform at Yuna Kim's ice shows next week!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    good news for france then

vCash
    if they really perform next week it means that they are matching pretty well then

vCash
    Some pictures of Savchenko/Massot on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bruno.massot.31

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    I can understand why there are some objections above to Savchenko switching nationality again. When you are an athlete you are a representing a country, and ideally you should have a connection to that country. You also need to pick one country to represent because the sports community and the general public will eventually object if there are too many changes of allegiance.
    There aren't any available partners for Savchenko in Germany, though. So you can't really object because her choice is either not skate any more or to switch the country again.

I think it's extremely unlikely that the German government is going to re-consider Steuer's case on an individual basis (adherence to the rules, regulations and the law seems very important in German culture) so them representing France is probably a done deal. It would be great if DEU managed to surprise us all, though.

Quote Originally Posted by la.louise View Post
    Some pictures of Savchenko/Massot on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bruno.massot.31
    The height difference is huge! 4twist and throw 4flip incoming?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    There aren't any available partners for Savchenko in Germany, though. So you can't really object because her choice is either not skate any more or to switch the country again.

I think it's extremely unlikely that the German government is going to re-consider Steuer's case on an individual basis (adherence to the rules, regulations and the law seems very important in German culture) so them representing France is probably a done deal. It would be great if DEU managed to surprise us all, though.

The height difference is huge! 4twist and throw 4flip incoming?
    Pretty unlikely: maybe yes. Impossible: no. I´ve done a research lately about the beginnings of the stasi affair, which included Steuer, but he wasn´t the only case. There were obviously more coaches who were incriminated having collaborated with the Stasi. Three cases (including Steuer) were found guilty, as the allegations were considered especially serious in their cases. One coach simply has withdrawn from his work. The second one went to the
    Olympics in Torino so much as undisturbed (his back covered by the german ski fed DSV). He is still working as a coach for german athletes now.
    Last edited by Irish-Angel; 04-28-2014 at 03:54 PM.

vCash
    If a miracle happened and Steuer's situation was re-considered and he was given funding, I think that the 2-year sit out could paradoxically work in Savchenko/Massot's favour. By the time they compete in their first event, they would have already been 'soup.'

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    If they're already being invited to Kim's show, during those two years they could earn money skating in as many shows as they can get, without worrying about a competition schedule.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 04-28-2014 at 06:16 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

YEAH!
    vCash
    OMG, that photo! How exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    If a miracle happened and Steuer's situation was re-considered and he was given funding, I think that the 2-year sit out could paradoxically work in Savchenko/Massot's favour. By the time they compete in their first event, they would have already been 'soup.'
    Two years is a lot IMO. Petrova/Tikhonov, for example, WON their second Worlds (and I think Savchenko/Massot have more potential than they did). Volosozhar/Trankov were soup after only a year, winning silver at Worlds, and they could have won their second Worlds if not for a mistake in the SP. If S/M have to miss two whole seasons, they are only giving themselves one chance to win the Worlds before they skate at the Olympics. Really, it was short-sighted of her to skate at this year's Worlds. She should have sat them out like Volosozhar so she could have done 2015 Worlds.

I also think, judging by these photos and the fact that they're already skating in a show, Savchenko/Massot are gunners and would be bored and restless sitting around for a very long period of time without doing competitions other than Nationals. Clearly, they want to be seen, and the next season or two are an opportune time if V/T take time off and plan to start up again in 2017. France seems to have more national competitions than Germany as well so they could probably compete at French Masters or something.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Really, it was short-sighted of her to skate at this year's Worlds. She should have sat them out like Volosozhar so she could have done 2015 Worlds.
    Sort-sighted and impulsive, considering that she told Radford last fall she was planning to continue with a new partner after this season. She was the one who insisted on Worlds, and she already knew that Sochi wouldn't be her last competition.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

YEAH!
    vCash
    Yeah, I don't know why she convinced Robin to skate at Worlds knowing she wanted to compete next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why she convinced Robin to skate at Worlds knowing she wanted to compete next season.
    Forgive me to say that but that is just crap, for the lack of better words. I get it that missing the worlds she wouldn´t have to sit out a year (but that is what they might need anyway to become a successful pair), but what she also wanted (like every skater in pairs who already had a very successful and fulfilling career) was a satisfying end of that.
    By the time this pairing up came out, it wasn´t even sure who it is going to be. Aliona said in a recent interview that she would even sit out two years if this means she could skate for Germany again. Like it or not, it became her second home.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast