Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Their last competition for their respective countries was March 27. So unless we have a pairs event on Saturday and Sunday next year (March 28-29, 2015), that's a no go. But as I wrote earlier, if they gel together, I would not be surprised to see them making their debut at the WTT next April.
    I think they miss it by two days. (This year's comp dates are listed as "24.03.2014 - 30.03.2014").

ETA: The thought of S/M skating for FRA may be the leverage Steuer needs to be able to be paid by Germany. On the other hand, GER will have serious competition to qualify for WTT, with six spots, one guaranteed to the host, and USA, CHN, RUS, FRA, and JPN, since points are based primarily on GP/GPF and 2015 WC's.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 03-29-2014 at 06:36 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Their last competition for their respective countries was March 27. So unless we have a pairs event on Saturday and Sunday next year (March 28-29, 2015), that's a no go. But as I wrote earlier, if they gel together, I would not be surprised to see them making their debut at the WTT next April.
    What makes you think France will qualify for the top six without Pechalat/Bourzat? - they won't have any medal contenders at next year's worlds.
    When watching live I like everyone to skate clean - but on television the occasional trainwreck can be fun.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    He expresses his desire to do just that here: http://video.lequipe.fr/video/tous-s...=680d7d173d8s& . (I hope he is serious.) After talking about doing some galas, he expresses that it would mean a complete restart ... Iliushechkina would be perfect. They could be ready just when Russia can no longer forbid a new citizenship!
    I volunteer myself as his pairs partner! I have an excellent single axel about three times a year, lifts scare me since I haven't done them on ice in over 4 years but all those iz minor details. Looking forward to summer training XoXo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingguy View Post
    What makes you think France will qualify for the top six without Pechalat/Bourzat? - they won't have any medal contenders at next year's worlds.
    Amodio could bounce back and he has the talent to be in the top 5 at worlds. Papadakis/Cizeron could make a huge leap in the ranking. James/Cipres will have fire under their behind if Aliona/Bruno decide to skate for France. The US, Canada, Russia have enough talent to be in the world cup every single time. Japan is the host. The last two spots are a battle between China, Italy and France. Italy is probably losing precious points from the ladies. Meite may be forced to get better if Silete comes back next season. It's probably going to be a close call with China and Italy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta24 View Post
    Well, if the French federation is going to pay for their training, it seems like France will have a very competitive pair couple again.
    Don't let Vanessa James hear you say this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I think they miss it by two days. (This year's comp dates are listed as "24.03.2014 - 30.03.2014").

ETA: The thought of S/M skating for FRA may be the leverage Steuer needs to be able to be paid by Germany. On the other hand, GER will have serious competition to qualify for WTT, with six spots, one guaranteed to the host, and USA, CHN, RUS, FRA, and JPN, since points are based primarily on GP/GPF and 2015 WC's.
    Yes I think that´s Ingo´s goal. Since he is really deeply rooted with Chemnitz, that´s the first time he can put some pressure on the backs of these stupid idiots of the ministry of internal affairs . Since every official of the DEU wants to pay him, that might be his chance....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish-Angel View Post
    Yes I think that´s Ingo´s goal. Since he is really deeply rooted with Chemnitz, that´s the first time he can put some pressure on the backs of these stupid idiots of the ministry of internal affairs . Since every official of the DEU wants to pay him, that might be his chance....
    How are they 'stupid idiots?' He could have come clean and he didn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    So is what he did worse than the coach who has sexually abused all those girls and is still being financially supported by the ministry? No one is disputing that what Steuer did was wrong, but does he have to be punished forever?

vCash
    Ziggy, if you know what´s going on in Germany, I´m still asking you that question, how could he come clean?? Plus it seems hardly fair, considered Karel Fajfrs past and the outcome in comparison with Steuer. That makes me wonder about the proportionality of punishments here.... plus it is simply not right to impose some sort of joint punishment for him and his skaters!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    No one is disputing that what Steuer did was wrong, but does he have to be punished forever?
    After the reunification of Germany on October 3, 1990, the German intelligence community was radically reorganized. In an attempt to restore public trust in the government in the former GDR, German officials banned employment in the new government of anyone who had worked for the East German Stasi.
    http://www.answers.com/topic/stasi

Why should Steuer be treated any differently from anyone else who was a Stasi informer? I think one could reasonably argue that, twenty-three years reunification, the law should be reviewed. But there's no good reason to single Steuer out for preferential treatment.

vCash
    ^^ I reckon that's one of the main problems, the respective laws would have to be changed and/or amended, and that in turn would open a new can of worms and create precedents, and, not least of all. would probably attract criticism, which all politicians like to avoid, especialls if there's nothing to gain from facilitating such a change. If he was the ultimate soccer coach for the national team then maybe, figure skating: no one cares.

The question is: to whom could/should he have come clean? The general public?

And even if he would have "come clean", it wouldn't have changed the laws regarding the employment of former stasi associates.

vCash
    double post, sorry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    ^^ I reckon that's one of the main problems, the respective laws would have to be changed and/or amended, and that in turn would open a new can of worms and create precedents, and, not least of all. would probably attract criticism, which all politicians like to avoid, especialls if there's nothing to gain from facilitating such a change. If he was the ultimate soccer coach for the national team then maybe, figure skating: no one cares.
    This!
    I think, if he would be a soccer coach or a F1 racer, I would bet things would already have been done.
    On the other hand it would be about time now, that this will be considered. Jesus, even Katharina Witt voted for that on several occasions, and she was one of his "victims".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    The question is: to whom could/should he have come clean? The general public?

And even if he would have "come clean", it wouldn't have changed the laws regarding the employment of former stasi associates.
    You're right, somehow in my mind, I mixed up the South African post-apartheid truth and reconciliation with this.

This is indeed a very bizarre situation considering that Steuer is a skating coach, so he's not a part of the government by any means and the only way his funding would be spent would be to train skaters, not to do any politics.

So yes, he should have been given a break but singling him out could create a dangerous precedent that others could try to exploit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    http://www.answers.com/topic/stasi

Why should Steuer be treated any differently from anyone else who was a Stasi informer? I think one could reasonably argue that, twenty-three years reunification, the law should be reviewed. But there's no good reason to single Steuer out for preferential treatment.
    Perhaps because what he did for Germany? His work did win for them medals, including five world golds and two Olympic bronze.

Why would he get different treatment - because he can at least partially make up for what he has done. His work does benefit to Germany.

vCash
    Aliona: "I started to think about continuing to skate at the Grand Prix in China; and, during this time, Eric Radford asked me: “What will you do after the Olympics? Will you keep skating?”. After this question, I thought even more – and got the answer: I will continue; I’m still too young to stop skating in competition, but I’ll continue maybe with a different partner. (...)
    I’m still young and in good shape and I will try something new, because I feel this is not the end. Also I asked Robin what he would do after this season and he only told me that he would stop skating with me. That’s why I made this decision to continue with someone else and told my coach to find the right partner for me after this season".

http://www.insideskating.net/2014/04...will-never-win

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somcutza View Post
    Aliona: "I started to think about continuing to skate at the Grand Prix in China; and, during this time, Eric Radford asked me: “What will you do after the Olympics? Will you keep skating?”. After this question, I thought even more – and got the answer: I will continue; I’m still too young to stop skating in competition, but I’ll continue maybe with a different partner. (...)
    I’m still young and in good shape and I will try something new, because I feel this is not the end. Also I asked Robin what he would do after this season and he only told me that he would stop skating with me. That’s why I made this decision to continue with someone else and told my coach to find the right partner for me after this season".

http://www.insideskating.net/2014/04...will-never-win
    THis makes no sense whatsoever. They singed contract with Art on ice (or whatever company) to do shows after Olympics/Worlds. There was a steamy photo add to prove it. How could they do that without skating together???
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    THis makes no sense whatsoever. They singed contract with Art on ice (or whatever company) to do shows after Olympics/Worlds. There was a steamy photo add to prove it. How could they do that without skating together???
    Perhaps by "skating" she means "competing", not show skating. She does even say "skating in competition".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    Maybe because she wasn't sure until the last minute whether she will want to continue. It is something else to think about it and play with the idea, and something different to make a firm decision. Because she wasn't sure that she will be continuing, they signed contract for the shows, but it may have been always on the back of her mind that they can either do the shows only in the summer, or they can cancel the contract. Things happen and skaters cancel contracts all the time. Pluschenko was supposed to go on shows immediately after Olympics and instead he had to have surgery.

vCash
    I wonder when they'll be in Florida... I'll be there at the end of May and would definitely take a detour to see this!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast