Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I'm not sure you can get French citizenship if you're living in Germany.
    No need to because both countries are in the EU.

vCash
    I'm not sure you can get French citizenship if you're living in Germany.
    Quote Originally Posted by unchat123 View Post
    No need to because both countries are in the EU.
    There is definitely need for a citizenship if you want to go to Olympics. It has nothing to do with the fact that both countries are or are not in the EU. To represent any country at the Olympics, the skater needs the country's citizenship.

vCash

vCash

vCash
    Well, if the French federation is going to pay for their training, it seems like France will have a very competitive pair couple again.

vCash
    Can't wait to see what this teamlook like together. I hope Aliona can get a better twist like Daria Popova.

Unfortunately i feel like judges are going to mark them lower in GOE and PCS because its not robin.

vCash
    And who can blame the judges? It takes time to build a team, Aliona can't think she will get the scores she had with Robin on the first year. Maybe she's okay with one or two meh season as long as she can get gold at Olys (barring injuries)?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Well, well. Interesting result. Will she still do shows with Robin or start training right away. She really wants another shot at Olympic gold apparently. It's going to make pairs even more interesting to see how this plays out.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I hope Aliona is doing this because she really wants to continue competitive skating and not just because she wants Olympic Gold. Don't get me wrong she's amazing But she's also much older. Yes, Shen and Zhao won at an older age, but they were together for years and were able to take a break and come back. A lot of young up and coming teams like S/K, who will only get better and improve.

She's not going to be able to take that kind of break with a new partner.

If she wants to stay great but I hope its not just about the OGM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I hope Aliona is doing this because she really wants to continue competitive skating and not just because she wants Olympic Gold.
    I hope she's not just doing this because she doesn't know what else to do with her life (though as a PhD student I might be projecting here, haha).

vCash
    http://www.sport.fr/patinage-artisti...is-346123.shtm

Stueur says they will take their time to decide national representation...

More importantly, who will be leading the French Fed?

vCash
    I hope Aliona is doing this because she really wants to continue competitive skating and not just because she wants Olympic Gold. Don't get me wrong she's amazing But she's also much older. Yes, Shen and Zhao won at an older age, but they were together for years and were able to take a break and come back. A lot of young up and coming teams like S/K, who will only get better and improve.

She's not going to be able to take that kind of break with a new partner.

If she wants to stay great but I hope its not just about the OGM.
    Quote Originally Posted by unchat123 View Post
    I hope she's not just doing this because she doesn't know what else to do with her life (though as a PhD student I might be projecting here, haha).

I think she is doing it because she decided that she is good enough to get the gold. And to be honest, she is! The question is whether her partner will be enough. Unfortunately in pairs it depends on two people and not only one one of them. I don't think she is doing it because she doesn't know what to do with her life. I think she knows what she wants. And that is the OGM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I think she is doing it because she decided that she is good enough to get the gold. And to be honest, she is! The question is whether her partner will be enough. Unfortunately in pairs it depends on two people and not only one one of them. I don't think she is doing it because she doesn't know what to do with her life. I think she knows what she wants. And that is the OGM.
    Of course she's good enough to be OGM. But it doesn't mean she will be. It can be very elusive and the older she gets the less chance she has. I think it would be smarter for her and Robin to take some time off come back in 2018, if they are healthy and up to it. That way she's had a break, given her body some rest etc.

I sometimes wonder if Michelle could do it over again, would she have stayed past Salt Lake?

I just think in terms of Aliona, the older she gets the less other opportunities she can have too. So I just hope for her sake its more than just the OGM because that's elusive with no guarantees.

vCash
    I hope they skate for Germany.

vCash
    Can she have the Ukrainian, German and French citizenship all at once?

vCash
    Of course she's good enough to be OGM. But it doesn't mean she will be. It can be very elusive and the older she gets the less chance she has. I think it would be smarter for her and Robin to take some time off come back in 2018, if they are healthy and up to it. That way she's had a break, given her body some rest etc.
    Well, that's a brilliant idea, but what can she do if Szolkowy doesn't want to? She really doesn't have that much choice. Either find a new partner or retire. And she wants the OGM...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiquitaBanana View Post
    Well, German and French afaik are possible. Nor sure about Ukrainian.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viennese View Post
    I hope they skate for Germany.
    I hope they skate for France. To show those who decided that Steuer should be punished forever by not getting paid that it was a stupid decision. Although the fact that they are not disclosing who they want to skate for is in my view Steuer giving them one last chance "Pay me or they will skate for France!" I don't blame him. He deserve to be funded the same way the other German coaches are.

vCash
    Assuming this is indeed true, and it really looks like it is - well, in hindsight Massot seems like such an obvious choice that I'm surprised nobody suggested it before it came up in the media. I guess because the focus was on German partners and on people who were partner-less or were expected to be headed for a split. Anyway, they've trained alongside one another, he's worked with Steuer and knows the drill, he's shown that he's open to outside the box program concepts (and costumes, which will make Aliona happy), and he's not a bad skater. To those who say that he's not as good as Robin, well, not at the moment, but the right partner can make a world of difference, and it's not like Robin was all that accomplished when he first started skating with Aliona. And if anyone thinks, well, they were younger then - Robin was 24. Massot is 25. He could easily relocate to Germany, or, if they decide to skate for France, it's not as difficult for Aliona and Ingo to relocate as it would have been were she to find an American partner (I can't imagine she'd have wanted to skate for Russia given the situation in Ukraine).

Anyway, I hope it really does work out, because I selfishly want her to skate for as long as possible. They wouldn't even have to sit out until 2015-16; they could debut at the WTT next year.

I don't think so.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 03-29-2014 at 03:39 PM.

vCash

I don't think so.
    Why not? My friend has Russian, Hungarian and British citizenship!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast