Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 104
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    9,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I take it she and Robin do not want to try to cash in by doing tons of shows in Asia and Europe?

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    167
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    I take it she and Robin do not want to try to cash in by doing tons of shows in Asia and Europe?
    For Aliona, if the question competition or show comes up, I think she´ll go with competition. As for both of them (S/S) not competing anymore, I don´t see a reason why they shouldn´t try to cash. It´s no secret that they were paid crap plus have to pay their coach for themselves.

  3. #23
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,211
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44320
    I remember the excitement when S/S paired up, but he wasn't the Robin Szolkowy he later became. He had a lot of unused potential.

    Whether they skate for GER or FRA, he wouldn't have to lose French citizenship, as a holder of an EU passport.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,271
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    That would suck for Popova if Massot left her considering she came to France to try and make the Olympics. They didnt go due to citizenship issues, and then to be dumped. It would be almost cruel.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,501
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by annabrown View Post
    If Bruno is such a talent why is he always 15th at worlds and 10th at Europeans.
    Because Popova is always making mistakes on the jumps. Not only that but, in the 2014 Worlds FS ,she has also made him fall by cutting him under...

    I don't know what the issue with her is but judging from her facial expressions and body language, she seems really tense and nervous when competing.

    He, on the other hand, seems to be a very strong and consistent partner.

    He almost never missed his sbs jumps and P/M have a huge triple twist despite Popova being larger than an average pairs girl.

    So he deserves respect.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-30-2014 at 12:32 AM.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,271
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think it is a false rumor and Popova and Massot will stay together and Savchenko will keep looking or retire.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 03-29-2014 at 08:16 AM.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,228
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    17487
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I think it is a false rumor and Popova and Massot will stay together and Volosozhar will keep looking or retire.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,299
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by annabrown View Post
    Massot would also be crazy to leave his current partnership for Savchenko.
    I think he'd be crazy not to. I was intrigued by Popova and Massot's potential at first, but they're going nowhere.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,070
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    That would suck for Popova if Massot left her considering she came to France to try and make the Olympics. They didnt go due to citizenship issues, and then to be dumped. It would be almost cruel.
    Yeah. It would be as bad as if Van Cleave, having just got German citizenship, dumped Vartmann for her!

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,070
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    If she's into trying out with French guys, I just had another thought, what has Yannick Bonheur been up to?

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Paname
    Posts
    4,447
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3717
    Oh no YAnnick cannot jump to save his life !

    Massot is irregular and I am not sure he'll have the commitment needed there
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,271
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    If she's into trying out with French guys, I just had another thought, what has Yannick Bonheur been up to?
    Massot is a better pairs skater than him. He is actually pretty good. Not sure if he is OGM caliber or not with any partner though, and that is obviously all she is after.

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,761
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    No idea if this report is true, but as others have noted, Savchenko and Steuer should have a pretty good idea about Massot's potential as a skater and a partner for Aliona. While P/M haven't done all that well, much of it is due to Popova (and the injury this season), and it's not like Robin Szolkowy was considered an elite skater when he and Savchenko paired up.

    If this does happen, I wonder what country they'd skate for? It would probably be easier to get funding if they represent France, but I can't see Steuer and Savchenko relocating and citizenship would be an issue if they stay in Germany.

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,863
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    40900
    Maybe it'd be better for them to stay in Germany. Although they probably have very little political power, the French Federation has proven time and time again that they seriously suck at politicking.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

  15. #35
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,211
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44320
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    That would suck for Popova if Massot left her considering she came to France to try and make the Olympics. They didnt go due to citizenship issues, and then to be dumped. It would be almost cruel.
    If Massot can't go to the Olympics because Popova can't get French citizenship, it would be a valid reason for him to split with her, if he's aiming for the Olympics. Takahashi had every reason to drop Tran when the Olympics became her goal, even if others thought her priorities were wrong, because he couldn't get Japanese citizenship.

    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah. It would be as bad as if Van Cleave, having just got German citizenship, dumped Vartmann for her!
    I disagree. What did Massot get for skating with Popova for his own country? It would be analogous if he had gotten Russian citizenship for skating with Popova and then dumped her to skate with Volosozhar, or if Popova got French citizenship for skating with Massot, but then dumped him for Bernadis (if he were still skating).
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hungary
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,291
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Somehow I could not imagine Aliona with a different partner. Hardly anyone in her league...

  17. #37

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    631
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    If this does happen, I wonder what country they'd skate for? It would probably be easier to get funding if they represent France, but I can't see Steuer and Savchenko relocating and citizenship would be an issue if they stay in Germany.
    They can skate for France because of money, but train in Chemnitz because the life there is very cheap compare with other German cities.

  18. #38

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,761
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by care bear View Post
    They can skate for France because of money, but train in Chemnitz because the life there is very cheap compare with other German cities.
    I'm not sure you can get French citizenship if you're living in Germany.

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    456
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    763
    They cannot possibly skate for France, Ingo and Aliona are deeply rooted in Chemnitz. But Bruno needs to move over soon to be able to get citizenship in time for 2018. Maybe he can impress with his German sounding first name. He is a good skater and might be a great partner for Aliona.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    412
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I agree with most people that Bruno was the stronger of the pair. I really don't think she would've went with Tran. Brubaker on the other hand could've worked, didn't he marry Stefania Berton and have a possible access to EU passport? Massot was probably a more comfortable choice being taller, already part of EU and under Steur.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •