Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    This just feels like the direction ISU and the IJS has been taking skating. To Speedy the only difference he sees between the SP and LP is duration. Why do you need both if they are so similar?
    He might compromise and make the LP shorter so fans could think they were seeing an SP and LP rolled into one.

Doing this he can also cut expenses by lowering all of the ISU prize money. If skaters only need to pay for choreo for one program it will cut their costs. If they are are only training one program they can cutback on their ice time, not run through as many boots, have lower coaching fees, etc.

Yea, this plan has everything to keep skating under the IJS right on course to oblivion.

vCash
    If this happens who on earth would travel to such an event? I guess he hates fans too.

Especially for ice dance this is impossible. And if a skater has only one chance they will be even more nervous. And there will be no chance of making up for a bad short.

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    This seems to me like downsizing prior to wrapping up shop (taking the long view)

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    If someone in Japan wants to take a whack at Speedy, go for it.
    We'll crowdfund for the lawyer.

Someone get this man out of there!!!!

Or make figure skating an independent sport.
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    After reading his proposed changes and talking to some skaters it is obvious this guy is not making sense to anyone but himself! I don't know too much about speed skating but what he said sounded like it made no sense at all.

As for skating, I know they always want to save money and what not but simply taking a short program out will kill the sport. Junior and senior worlds could likely still be held together as is (USFSA just added junior nationals to nationals so it has to work!)

I was thinking what if we got rid of SD in ice dance- bring the pattern dance back (just one) and have a freedance with less required elements and emphasise the choreo more? And for pairs/freestyle judge the short program cop and the long program with 6.0? Then there would be some of the old beautiful skating we had under 6.0 but still some "objective" technical requirements. "Free" programs should after all be "free"!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Siouxs View Post
    Next he'll eliminate music and choreography and require everyone to perform their jumps in speed skate inspired national uniforms.

"In a sport with jumps surely there must be jumpsuits", he'd say.

Grimey Bastard.
    I actually wouldn't be surprised if he said this! And helmets, especially for pair skaters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangoer View Post
    And for pairs/freestyle judge the short program cop and the long program with 6.0? Then there would be some of the old beautiful skating we had under 6.0 but still some "objective" technical requirements. "Free" programs should after all be "free"!
    Oh goodness- please don't use two judging systems. What a mess.

Also- I think you are forgetting that the vast majority of 6.0 programs were nothing special, and many downright awful. The beautiful ones were a rarity by the best skaters; the same as they are today. There has just been a lot more years of 6.0 to compile beautiful programs.

vCash
    This is Cinquanta's worst proposal yet and clearly reveals his lack of informed leadership, failure to understand the sport, and inability to handle anything in a competent, professional manner. I strongly believe the federations need to stand up and call for his resignation.

Eliminating the short program is a terrible idea. It would negatively affect just about everything, as far as I'm concerned. First and most important, it would damage the quality and integrity of competition itself. The short program helps balance the competition and gives the skaters more opportunity to demonstrate their skills. Years ago when people were complaining about qualification rounds at Worlds, Alexei Mishin commented that he & Plushenko had no issue with qualification. His opinion: The more phases/events in any single competition, the more likely that the overall best skater will win that competition. Because having more phases helps average the results and makes it less likely that atypically great or atypically bad performances will disproportionately affect the outcome. It's the same principle behind having a 7-game championship series in the NBA (instead of just one game). If the SP were eliminated, the LP would quickly become, as someone said, a jump-filled splatfest with everyone throwing as many hard tricks as possible and consequently, in all likelihood, failing in many elements. The pressure would be so intense that the chances of seeing any great performances would be lessened. And we would soon start to see a lot more one-hit wonders and flash-in-the-pan wins.

Eliminating the SP would also negatively affect the artistic side of the sport. Having 2 programs gives skaters more opportunities to try different program concepts, different music, and styles of skating. It gives them basically 2 chances each season to make an artistic statement. Eliminating half of those opportunities would hamper skaters' artistic development and would lead, immediately I think, to the end of any artistic/musical innovation. With everything riding on one program, I don't think anyone would feel comfortable using anything but proven warhorse pieces.

I think cutting out the SP would also be disastrous in terms of ticket sales/revenue. It would eliminate half the competition, so therefore half the ticket sales possibilities and half the TV rights possibilities. Now some might argue that at many competitions, short programs are poorly attended anyhow and often not shown on TV. But this is not the case at bigger competitions. And especially for bigger events like Worlds/Nationals, organizers depend on many fans traveling to the event and buying all-event packages. For serious fans, all-event packages currently provide a very satisfying experience: 4-5 days of practices and 8 separate events (SPs/LPs) to enjoy. Eliminating SP would cut the value of the package in half, and this would certainly affect ticket sales and fans' willingness to travel to events. Eliminating the SP would also negatively affect the overall dramatic tension of the event and, thus, viewers' enjoyment.

Cinquanta seems to have proposed this idea only to make things easier for the ISU and organizers. He did not offer a single well-reasoned, logical argument to support such a huge change in the structure of the sport. He is incompetent, unprofessional, a disgrace.

vCash
    You know, this isn't the kind of news I prefer to wake up to. But actually WTF. Speedy needs to get lost. Now.

vCash

vCash
    I have no problem with making it so that the men's and women's programs are the same length of time. What, are the women too delicate to skate for the same number of minutes as the men? I have no problem with that change, although, of course, they'd need to figure out what the right length of time should be. And, depending on what that amount of time is, I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with making the long dance and the pairs' long program be that same amount of time, although I'm not sure what the point of doing that, for pairs and dance, would be.

As for getting rid of the long distances in speed skating - I would mourn the death of those events. I like them. I also like Marathon. Then again, I also liked the compulsory dances, so perhaps we shouldn't use me as an example, here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I have no problem with making it so that the men's and women's programs are the same length of time. What, are the women too delicate to skate for the same number of minutes as the men?
    I've always wondered about this myself, since it has been said that women have higher endurance than men.

I guess the long program will be next...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Isn't this really where the sport has been shifting for years now? Especially once they adopted cop, the LP just really became a double length SP. What's the point of it really, it's lost it's entire original intent. Whatever we thought we had in the "free skate" we lost years ago, slowly chiseled away at until cop killed it for good.
    ^THIS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    But if there is only one program instead of two, that gives the crooked judges one less chance to cheat. Maybe this is $peedy's way to clean up the judging without, you know, actually having to do anything.
    True, and if we eliminate both short program and long program, the judges will have no opportunity to cheat at all, because if there is no skating, there will be no need for judges!

vCash
    For TV, it might work, allowing more time to show more skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Back during the 6.0 days, I would have been up in arms and protesting in anger. Now, I find the SP to be sort of redundant and am no longer sure what the point of if it is anymore..
    Yes, a skater can skate poorly, and even fall in the short under COP, yet still be able to move up and medal after the long. This is a big problem IMHO, with COP. The short program no longer is do or die as it was with 6.0. The excitement is gone...Don't eliminate the short, eliminate COP!

vCash
    But just as a skater who does poorly in the short can win it in the free; a skater can do amazing in the short and crap in the long and still win. Because the short program actually does matter.

Plus short programs are generally so much more interesting than long programs.

And I agree with those who say I would not travel to an event to see 4 long program events. Not worth it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Yes, a skater can skate poorly, and even fall in the short under COP, yet still be able to move up and medal after the long. This is a big problem IMHO, with COP. The short program no longer is do or die as it was with 6.0. The excitement is gone...Don't eliminate the short, eliminate COP!
    Look at Mao Asada at Olympics. Don't you think she deserved to move up? But despite her brilliant FS she didn't medal. I don't recall any events at worlds or Olympics where a skater would skate poorly in the SP and still medal. They would perhaps skate at not their usual standard and medal, but not poorly, that's a bit strong. That wouldn't medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Eliminate Cinquanta before he eliminates skating.
    My wish, also!

He's always hated figure skating -- saying he "didn't understand it".
    Sadly, he's threatened so many people over the years; by pushing those who disagreed with him out of decision-making positions, that he will probably get his wish

vCash
    Interestingly, there are chronic "headcase" short program skaters who actually might welcome such a change.

...but the 250 metre oval idea for combined short-track/long-track speed skating is beyond belief.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast