Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I weighed in on my newest blog "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Cinquanta?": http://www.facebook.com/SkateGuard & http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2014/...cinquanta.html. Includes a list of contact information for all ISU member federations!

vCash

Bill Fauver calls for action against Cinquanta to USFS's ISU Rep and Council Members

The following was posted by Ron Pfenning (candidate for President, U.S. Figure Skating) on his Facebook Page...

A posting from Bill Fauver in response to ISU president's recent letter to ISU elected officials. Bill's letter was addressed to our USFS ISU Rep and ISU Council member and others.

Dear Gale and Phyllis and all ISU Representatives and Council Members,

The time has come to boldly take control of the sport that we all love and enjoy. The quiet waiting game has to end, time is of the essence. It is not about what is best for me, or for you, it is what is best for the sport of figure skating world wide. Knowing how things have worked in the past at the ISU it is not time to hide and think someone else will make those changes or that if you stand up you will be removed from ISU committees. It is time to rise up as one body and change the direction of both speed skating and figure skating for the better. It is hard to imagine how far our sport has deteriorated.

For too long the ISU Council Members and Representatives have been party to the tail wagging the dog. The facts are clear, the leadership of Mr. Cinquanta has been disastrous and now he threatens to further destroy what he does not clearly understand. There are no excuses.

I ask all skaters and those who love skating to rise up and be a part of this movement. If someone can get a list of all of the ISU Representatives we can reach out to them all. Since the petition regarding the Olympic Ladies event garnered two million votes can we not take the next step and demand the retirement of Mr. Cinquanta?
    Bill Fauver (Former U.S. Pairs Skater and ISU office holder for a decade)
    Last edited by Visaliakid; 03-30-2014 at 04:18 PM.
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    Meanwhile, deafening silence from USFSA, Skate Canada and any other federation, unless it has been really quiet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Meanwhile, deafening silence from USFSA, Skate Canada and any other federation, unless it has been really quiet.
    I have wondered what the Feds were thinking about this. Maybe they just think he is spouting BS.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    The Federations have the final say at the Congress and do not need to get involved with any blog.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    The Federations have the final say at the Congress and do not need to get involved with any blog.
    The federations send representatives from their country to the Congress. Each of those representative are elected and they should be aware of their participants' views. Once upon a time, those views would be expressed via a letter or phone call. Now it's blogs, emails and forums such as this, where many points of view are aired. USA and Camada taking a leading hand would be good for the sport in my opinion. It would seem at least that those two organisations have a strategic plan, which I doubt the ISU does .... Or if it does, it's not communicated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rae35 View Post
    The federations send representatives from their country to the Congress. Each of those representative are elected and they should be aware of their participants' views. Once upon a time, those views would be expressed via a letter or phone call. Now it's blogs, emails and forums such as this, where many points of view are aired. USA and Camada taking a leading hand would be good for the sport in my opinion. It would seem at least that those two organisations have a strategic plan, which I doubt the ISU does .... Or if it does, it's not communicated.
    If you want change, join a club, become a member of your Club’s delegation to the AGM (Canada) or the Governing Council (US Figure Skating. Convince your club to present proposals to the ISU Congress that would accomplish your ideas. Anonymous posts of complaints will never accomplish anything.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    If you want change, join a club, become a member of your Club’s delegation to the AGM (Canada) or the Governing Council (US Figure Skating. Convince your club to present proposals to the ISU Congress that would accomplish your ideas. Anonymous posts of complaints will never accomplish anything.
    Hear, Hear! Couldn't agree with you more Morry Stillwell. Well said and advised.

vCash
    I spoke with Bill Fauver on the phone this AM and interviewed him. We talked about this Facebook post and the politics of this whole situation - very interesting. He was involved with USFS governance for years and has a fascinating perspective. Will likely have it up on the blog in the AM before work.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Democracy does require comment.

I just hope those committed to both figure skating and speed skating do not stand by while both sports get hacked apart under the guise of innovation to cover the negligence and/or ineptitude of the international leadership that squandered all the money from 1994-2006 for the sake of their own vanity.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 03-31-2014 at 12:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Democracy does require comment.

I just hope those committed to both figure skating and speed skating do not stand by while both sports get hacked apart under the guise of innovation to cover the negligence and/or ineptitude of the international leadership that squandered all the money from 1994-2006 for the sake of their own vanity.
    As I said before... Do somthing. Come out from under the rock.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    The short program was created in the seventies to give free skating more weight vs. figures.
    I'm not sure about that.

http://www.sports-reference.com/olym...nter/1968/FSK/

The other major change at the 1968 Olympics was that the pairs skated two programs. This had started at the 1963 European Championships and was also done at the 1964 Worlds, just after the Innsbruck Olympics. Originally called the compulsory and free programs, in 1967 these were renamed the short and long programs. The short program still had six compulsory elements that the couples were required to demonstrate.
    This was done several years before the introduction of the Short Program for Singles. And Pairs never had a figures program.

vCash
    But but but...if the SP is eliminated, how will the fields be trimmed?

Hopefully this threat motivates people to make proposals that will differentiate the SP from the FS, like a compulsory spin position, compulsory types of combinations (edge-edge, edge-toe, toe-edge).

Of course, the positive impact of any changes depends on the ability (or willingness) of the judges to properly differentiate the skates for the qualities they show between the elements.

I'm all for simplifying COP. That's the only part of this letter that makes sense, but I notice has absolutely no ideas as to how to fairly simplify it.

The part about making all 5 (lol) disciplines the same length strikes me as being instigated by the same IOC people who are pushing the FIG (gymnastics) to make men's and women's FX deductions the same.

Does #6 mean ... elimination of dance spins? LOL! This item cracks me up.

It sounds like he's trying to eliminate long track speed skating...(!!!!!)

That whole letter reads like the rantings of a...I don't know, I don't want to defame bipolar people. They are at least usually brilliant.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    ...I don't know, I don't want to defame bipolar people. They are at least usually brilliant.
    As I don't want to defame demented senior citizens since people love them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    I spoke with Bill Fauver on the phone this AM and interviewed him. We talked about this Facebook post and the politics of this whole situation - very interesting. He was involved with USFS governance for years and has a fascinating perspective. Will likely have it up on the blog in the AM before work.
    I have known Mr. Fauver for may years and he is to be admired for using his own name when posting for the public.

When you interview Mr. Fauver, please ask him what specific proposals he will have his club propose at the 2014 US Figure Skating Governing Council to accomplish his stated goals for the ISU. While your at it, what will you be presenting at the Skate Canada 2014 Annual General Meeting?
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    I have known Mr. Fauver for may years and he is to be admired for using his own name when posting for the public.

When you interview Mr. Fauver, please ask him what specific proposals he will have his club propose at the 2014 US Figure Skating Governing Council to accomplish his stated goals for the ISU
    Last edited by Morry Stillwell; 03-31-2014 at 01:16 AM. Reason: dual post = sorry
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    There's little time until the ISU Congress in June. I'm not currently a member of a club--is it realistic that I or anyone else could join a club in April and influence things prior to the Governing Council in May/ISU Congress in June? I understand you should get involved if you want to change things, and I don't disagree. But at the same time, I do feel the ISU and USFSA need to become more responsive to fan feedback via email, blogs, and petitions (much of which is not anonymous, BTW). There's this attitude that fans aren't real constituents and needn't be listened to ... It's part of the reason this sport is in such a mess IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    There's little time until the ISU Congress in June. I'm not currently a member of a club--is it realistic that I or anyone else could join a club in April and influence things prior to the Governing Council in May/ISU Congress in June? I understand you should get involved if you want to change things, and I don't disagree. But at the same time, I do feel the ISU and USFSA need to become more responsive to fan feedback via email, blogs, and petitions (much of which is not anonymous, BTW). There's this attitude that fans aren't real constituents and needn't be listened to ... It's part of the reason this sport is in such a mess IMO.
    All Federation Bylaws and Constitutions require that the Federation's first and major responsibility is to its Athletes and Members. Many of those Members have labored for many years in support of the sport. It is true that there is little time for a new person to provide much influence at this time. That should be a wakeup call. Get involved now so that in the next issues your voice and be heard.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    All Federation Bylaws and Constitutions require that the Federation's first and major responsibility is to its Athletes and Members. Many of those Members have labored for many years in support of the sport. It is true that there is little time for a new person to provide much influence at this time. That should be a wakeup call. Get involved now so that in the next issues your voice and be heard.
    Yes because it is so successful going up against Cinquanta. Just as Sally Stapleford, Ron Pfenning, Jon Jackson etc. etc.

And it IS time for the ISU to pay attention to fans. The business model is collapsing and the response from the ISU is inept so market forces may be the only solution.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post

Hopefully this threat motivates people to make proposals that will differentiate the SP from the FS, like a compulsory spin position, compulsory types of combinations (edge-edge, edge-toe, toe-edge).
    The ISU initially made the short program fairly strict in terms of its elements, but by 1989, only the axel jump ended up being prescribed (they even dropped the requirement of flying sit/camel and made that optional too).

I suspect that some overall results in the 1990s and 2000s might have ended up quite different had they still mandated the jump required in both the solo out of footwork and in the combination (particularly with the men had a loop jump been required in the combination).

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast