Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    He should be eliminated. And then sent to American idol and eliminated for a second time because the shit deserves it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    This news is so depressing. Speedy has got to go. And he can take his anonymous judging with him.
    If it didn't carry a felony charge, I would say that putting a contract out on this asshole wouldn't be a bad idea .

vCash
    Says the glock lady.

vCash
    I think violence is not going to win the battle of ideas. That was pretty much all that Skate Fair had going for it.

vCash
    Er, I suspect even a backtracked threat like that could get sharpie and the board in legal trouble.
    What would Jenny do?

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Er, I suspect even a backtracked threat like that could get sharpie and the board in legal trouble.
    That was not what I was implying anyone should do in real life -- the fact that even conspiring to do so is a felony (which I mentioned) negates any type of a threat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    What--eliminate short track?!?! And Korea isn't complaining about that travesty? What--an automatic ice dance team entry is gonna mitigate the elimination of one of that country's most popular winter sports?
    It has also recently become Russia's most beloved winter sport

vCash
    The short program was created in the seventies to give free skating more weight vs. figures. Now figures are gone and the free skate is full of requirements similar to the short program. I think what is missing from skating now is a program that lets skaters freely interpret the music, but an interpretive program leaves lots of room for judging scandals. The thrust in skating is away from entertainment to competitive sport and competitve sport demands quantifiable results. With all the emphasis on jumping I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes a separate event one day with specialized skates and training, and no music or costume.

vCash
    -- Redefine and perhaps rename the senior age category.
    I don't know about redefining, but I could live with renaming. I don't know how this word works in other languages, but in English, senior commonly refers to people over 60 or 65 in a general context or, in sports, to older athletes who now compete in a different circuit from the very best. I think tennis and golf both have Senior tours where competitors have to be over 40 or so. In skating, I think this level is called Adult (which is itself a funny commentary on how old/mature they think senior skaters are).

Still I guess having Seniors who are younger than Adults kind of fits in a world where sections are bigger than regions. (I mean, how many regions can you fit into a 1 mile square block?)
    Last edited by Susan M; 03-28-2014 at 05:22 PM.

vCash
    You kind of misquoted me there. The craziest thing I was talking about was anonymous judges. The senior age category pull quote was in a separate paragraph.

I still think if they are renaming an age category, junior is the one that is confusing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    You kind of misquoted me there. The craziest thing I was talking about was anonymous judges. The senior age category pull quote was in a separate paragraph.

I still think if they are renaming an age category, junior is the one that is confusing.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. My apologies. There were spaces between each thing and I didn't recognize that the comment went with the bit above instead of the bit below. I've edited that part out now.

What is confusing about juniors is not the name. Juniors is pretty standard terminology for the level below the big time. What makes it confusing is that athletes in the right age range are allowed to pick their level competition by competition. There was a proposal a couple years ago that skaters could not go back to juniors in the same season once they competed as seniors and that would have helped, at least for international competitors. I was sorry it wasn't adopted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    If it didn't carry a felony charge, I would say that putting a contract out on this asshole wouldn't be a bad idea .
    Real class?
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    I think what is confusing about juniors is that it is used to name an age level and a skill level. It needs to decide what it wants to be.

vCash
    I think what is confusing about juniors is that it is used to name an age level and a skill level. It needs to decide what it wants to be.
    Is that not also true for the earlier levels or do ages come into it only for juniors and seniors?

BTW, it is totally unnecessary to off Speedy at this point. His term of office will be expiring soon and he is too old to stand for re-election. (Too old is not a value judgement on my part, it's in the ISU regulation. You know the ISU; they love their age limits.)

vCash
    I think (international) novice has an age cut-off; and like I said in my first post- it might just be a US issue; but it seems there is a lot of confusion because skaters who are junior by age are skating senior by test.

So in the US they skate at senior nationals, but then get sent to JGP and Junior Worlds- and people cry foul because the "junior skaters" (the test level) aren't given a chance to skate the junior events. But if the age categories were called squares for 16+ and circles for younger than 21 only. Then no one would say "it isn't fair the senior skaters are getting all the circle events". The use of the word junior to mean two different things creates a lot of controversy.

I would be supportive of saying that, although the categories overlap, once you skate in square events, you can't go skate in circle ones anymore. Or you can't skate circle and square events in the same year.

Maybe the problem exists for novice internationals, but I don't think the US participates in many, so I don't know the problem.

I don't know what the ISU proposes to fix changing the name of senior. I don't think anyone hears senior events and thinks "hmm- must be the senior citizens". At least, I've never heard that confusion. I know of people who have been very confused to hear of novices and then seen very very good skaters, as they expected rank beginners.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 03-28-2014 at 08:37 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    There's also the complication in Canada thât a skater or team that wins a level at Nationals can't repeat that level and won't necessarily be age-eligible for the Nationals level in international competition.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Is that not also true for the earlier levels or do ages come into it only for juniors and seniors?

BTW, it is totally unnecessary to off Speedy at this point. His term of office will be expiring soon and he is too old to stand for re-election. (Too old is not a value judgement on my part, it's in the ISU regulation. You know the ISU; they love their age limits.)
    In the U.S., there are no age restrictions for competing at the Novice level and above in qualifying competitions (including Nationals is the skater qualifies).

vCash
    Shut up Speedy. Just fix the anonymous judging.

vCash
    For those on Facebook, a page was set up called Save The Short Program.

vCash
    Figure Skating Fans Wants to Eliminate Cinquanta

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    The short program was created in the seventies to give free skating more weight vs. figures. Now figures are gone and the free skate is full of requirements similar to the short program. .
    I kind of agree with this - I'd like to see them try something like making the SP for required elements, and the FP "free" in the sense that no elements are specified. However, the marking TES/PCS remains the same. So you would be marked on whatever you do. If you do only 3 elements, you'll be marked on those 3. But your mark would be lower than someone who chooses to do 5.

Im thinking mostly of dance because that's what I enjoy the most, but for instance it would give you more freedom to use elements that would suit the program and the music [esp good for selecting step sequences I think] , and make each program very different looking.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast