Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    You need to read the thread before posting. Nobody was picking on Patrick Chan (and certainly not Wood, who never mentioned any current skater in particular). Chan was mentioned by someone up thread as a skater whose fundamentals were so wonderful that Wood must be full of BS to say current skaters could benefit from training figures.
    I did read the thread. It appeared that the poster was saying if Chan had a better foundation in figures, he wouldn't struggle so much with that particular jump. (Skaters who did figures often had solid jumps due to the figuresl, the figures helped stabilize the entry edges.) Many skaters WOULD have better jumps if they trained figures. Chan probably isn't one of them- there is only so much figures can do for jumps.

I think Wood did a huge disservice to many skaters in Sochi who have fine basics, but current skaters could certainly benefit from training figures. However, I doubt there are many at the elite level who haven't done at least some figure work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    The cost saving would be the cost of Jr competitions minus the travel,food&boarding. They would have all the competitions together with no extra days since the Jr skates would be inserted where the short programs are now. I can see why it was brought up but it's a bad bad idea. One day is not enough.
    Agreed.

If they had to do this dramatic of cut, I would at least cut the exhibitions and instead have a day where the top 10 from each senior discipline skates a short.
    What would be the point of this?

You don't know who the top 10 are until after the competition. So essentially you're saying everyone should prepare a short program, and then only the top 10 should do the short program as an exhibition or as a final round of competition after everybody does the long programs?

vCash
    The LP would determine the top 10. I mean I don't want that either but it would mean no extra days and that we would get two programs from the top ten at least. The reason I chose the short to be second because more skills and jumps are required for the more skaters skating the long. That's important imo. Plus 40 skaters is a long day.
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Agreed.

What would be the point of this?

You don't know who the top 10 are until after the competition. So essentially you're saying everyone should prepare a short program, and then only the top 10 should do the short program as an exhibition or as a final round of competition after everybody does the long programs?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    If they want to cut the fields that drastically to cut out the number of days, they would use the SP to determine the top 10/two groups that would skate the free, since the SP is a lot shorter.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021