vCash

WSJ: Older Figure Skaters Put New Spin on Sequined Sport at US Adult Championships

I've been waiting for this Wall Street Journal article to appear online.

ETA:

Be sure to check out the WSJ Radio feature "Betsy McKay and WSJ's Hank Weisbecker discuss how older adults are enjoying figure skating" (5-minute radio interview) embedded in the article.

Here's the link to the accompanying video and there's a gallery of 8 photos at the bottom (thanks, zaphyre!).

The 2014 U.S. Adult Championships took place April 8-12 at the Hyannis Youth and Community Center (HYCC) in Hyannis, Mass. This national competition has been "held annually for 20 years [and featured] 455 skaters competing in more than 100 events." Articles and videos (for IN subscribers) are posted on the event page: http://web.icenetwork.com/schedule/2...dult_fs_champs
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-29-2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: To correct typo
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    What a terrific article!

vCash
    I love this piece! And I totally agree that adult skating world is very friendly and welcoming of anyone who is crazy enough to take up or continue in the sport at an "advanced" age. I've made many friends at the rink and in competitions, and it's really become a very special social environment for me. I warmly recommend adult skating for everyone!

vCash
    Besides the article, be sure to watch the video, listen to Betsy's radio interview and check out the slideshow and photo captions. I almost missed those at first glance. Yay to all the adult skaters and to McKay for appreciating them!
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    I wanted to add that this article ran on the FRONT PAGE of the WSJ today. Front page!
    Use Yah Blinkah!