Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

S. Korea to file complaint with ISU over composition of Olympic Ladies judging panel

Reuters article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0MI14420140321
    The South Korean Olympic Committee (KOC) will file an official complaint to the International Skating Union about the figure skating judging panel used at the Sochi Games which deemed Kim Yuna's routine only worthy of a silver medal.

The KOC and the Korea Skating Union (KSU) said in statement that they will demand a thorough investigation into the composition of the judging panel.

"We had to be very careful since an appeal or a complaint could strain relationships with international judges and bring disadvantages to our players in international games," a KOC official said.

"However, we decided to file complaints to the disciplinary committee, considering what is the best for our nation (people) although some issues are expected."
    Yonhap News Agency article: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...e-skating-ju-1
    In a joint statement, the KOC and the KSU said the decision to file the complaint was reached after consulting with figure skating judges and with international attorneys in South Korea. The two organizations added they also had to consider certain risks that may come with such a move.

"We had to be extremely careful with our action because filing a complaint may adversely affect our relationships with the ISU and international figure skating judges, which could put our athletes at a disadvantage at future competitions," the statement read. "However, after deliberating over what would be the best course of action for our people, we decided to appeal with the ISU."

The ISU Constitution and General Regulations state that "no protests against evaluations by referees, judges and the technical panel of skaters' performances are allowed." The ISU also states that protests against results "are permitted only in the case of incorrect mathematical calculation."

However, under Article 24 of the ISU Constitution and General Regulations, complaints may be filed with the ISU's Disciplinary Commission "within 60 days of learning of the facts or events which constitute a disciplinary or ethical offense." The KSU and the KOC said they believe the composition of the panel in Sochi was in violation of the ISU's ethical rules.
    ETA: http://blogs.wsj.com/korearealtime/2...ating-judging/
    It’s unlikely the complaint will change matters for Kim. Protests or complaints must be filed within half an hour of the relevant event, according to the International Skating Union’s rulebook. No complaints were made during that window.

The Korean Olympic Committee named the judges it questioned, including Yuri Balkov, a Ukranian, who was suspended for trying to fix the 1998 Olympic ice-dance competition. Alla Shekhovtseva, a Russian married to the head of the Russian figure skating federation, was also named. Ms. Shekhovtseva was shown hugging Sotnikova on camera after her performance, the statement said.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-21-2014 at 10:29 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Great, Good timing too with Worlds coming up, In the forums fan's are ridiculing the result, 2 million people signed a petition to investigate, The ISU's Facebook is flooded till now with complaints daily, Experts and skaters have weighed in,

It's time for the ISU tot pull their heads out of their asses and start taking this seriously, It's not going away.

Just because Favouritism is ingrained in the History of this sport doesn't mean that we're gonna keep putting up with it

Spreading the news

vCash
    INTERNATIONAL SKATING UNION CONSTITUTION and GENERAL REGULATIONS 2012
    http://static.isu.org/media/79153/20...egulations.pdf

Starting on page 48:
    Article 24
    1. Disciplinary Commission

The ISU Disciplinary Commission (DC) is an independent body elected by the Congress. The DC serves as a first instance authority to hear and decide all charges referred to it by any ISU authority or party against any Skater, Official, Office Holder or other participant in ISU activities (Alleged Offender) accused of a disciplinary or ethical offence (Offence).

Filing of Complaints
    a) Complaints must be filed with the DC by any Skater, Official, Office Holder or other participants in the ISU activities, within 60 days of learning of the facts or events, which constitute a disciplinary or ethical offence.

b) The 60 day deadline does not apply to filing of charges for violation of an Anti-Doping Rule.

c) A disciplinary or ethical offence shall consist of any violation of any material ISU disciplinary or ethical Rule and of any other conduct which can be deemed disciplinary or ethical by nature.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I wonder what is the weight of your upcoming Olympic host being pissed off at you

vCash
    Well...it's not like South Korea is jeopardizing all their medal hopes for Worlds...

vCash
    They are jeopardizing a few things. I have to go out and get a new TV tomorrow.
    I was going to buy a Samsung - but forget it. I will get a Toshiba or Sony,

Mind you, it is an intentional reaction not to buy a Korean product based on the continuing lack of sportsmanship from a particular nation.

In fact I will send a message to Samsung informing them of my purchasing decision based on the poor sportsmanship of their client.

If I gave a crap am sure I could start an online petition belittling Yuna and Koreans.....am sure a few million Russians would sign it.

What's the point?
    To appear stupid on purpose?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    They are jeopardizing a few things. I have to go out and get a new TV tomorrow.
    I was going to buy a Samsung - but forget it. I will get a Toshiba or Sony,

Mind you, it is an intentional reaction not to buy a Korean product based on the continuing lack of sportsmanship from a particular nation.

In fact I will send a message to Samsung informing them of my purchasing decision based on the poor sportsmanship of their client.

If I gave a crap am sure I could start an online petition belittling Yuna and Koreans.....am sure a few million Russians would sign it.

What's the point?
    To appear stupid on purpose?
    That petition was made, I think about 7,000+ signed it.

I'm not gonna stop buying Russian things because of a judging panel,
    THAT would be an over reaction,

Though with the way things are going in Russia i can't say anything as far as buying Russian in the future

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    That petition was made, I think about 7,000+ signed it.

I'm not gonna stop buying Russian things because of a judging panel,
    THAT would be an over reaction,

Though with the way things are going in Russia i can't say anything as far as buying Russian in the future
    You wanna protest? I respect that.

You wanna wait 3 weeks ? You are weak!

You want to protest because your entire skating team underperformed?

Good luck with that.
    Hint: sometimes the best way to "SAVE FACE" is to keep your mouth shut.

Yea, yes, OK, there it is

vCash
    What a bunch of crybabies, seriously. :p It's all about character, accept the decision, congratulate the winner, move on.

Or forever be known as a sore loser...

vCash
    You wanna protest? I respect that.

You wanna wait 3 weeks ? You are weak!

You want to protest because your entire skating team underperformed?

Good luck with that.
    Hint: sometimes the best way to "SAVE FACE" is to keep your mouth shut.

Yea, yes, OK, there it is
    What a bunch of crybabies, seriously. :p It's all about character, accept the decision, congratulate the winner, move on.

Can't you acknowledge that this is concerning most of your friends here,
    Wether you care about this or not or disagree with it, And treat this as an actual issue ?
    I can't understand the worth of these attitudes.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I don't particularly disagree with the Sochi results, and I think that Kim could have been bronze behind Carolina. Just so you know the side of the argument that I am coming from.

I applaud the KSU/KOC for being willing to make waves and for questioning the make-up of the panel. How many people here have said, repeatedly, that anonymous judging needs to end? How many times have we heard complaints about back room deals and questionable judges? Now, maybe the ISU will have to address these issues instead of sweeping them under the rug behind closed doors.
    Last edited by purple skates; 03-21-2014 at 07:00 PM.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I think they are right to file this complaint. It does not mean that the results should be changed but I think ISU is not concerned enough about the appearance of credibility for judges. They need to look into this and take the complaints seriously.

Granted this was probably filed because the Korean federation is feeling heat from the public which isn't that well informed about the issues but I think the ISU should address the issues raised.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I don't think that it is a question of lack of sportsmanship at all. Unless you are just one of those folks who needs surface calm so much you prefer not to look at what is going on underneath, I don't see why you should object so vehemently.

IMO, the judging of ISU events, the selection of judges, the secrecy behind the marks and the evaluation of judges, the continued use in the highest events of judges with a history of ethical violations are all things worthy of more scrutiny. If enough federations do enough complaining, sooner or later, some good might come of it.

vCash
    The whole judging in figure skating in Sochi was terrible. It wasn't just the ladies. There should be a complete investigation to all that went on in the Sochi figure skating. I don't believe in changing medals or handing out second medals, but I do think something needs to get to the bottom of the entire Sochi figure skating and what all was going down there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    The whole judging in figure skating in Sochi was terrible. It wasn't just the ladies. There should be a complete investigation to all that went on in the Sochi figure skating. I don't believe in changing medals or handing out second medals, but I do think something needs to get to the bottom of the entire Sochi figure skating and what all was going down there.
    The figure skating results in Sochi went according to ISU plan$.

Who does anyone think they can protest too??

I was watching "The Book Thief" last night (great book, very good film) and at one point in the movie, a character says, "who can we protest to, Hitler?"

Good luck protesting anything under the IJ$. Remember, the $ystem was built, designed and based on not getting caught cheating.

vCash
    The figure skating results in Sochi went according to ISU plan$.

Who does anyone think they can protest too??

I was watching "The Book Thief" last night (great book, very good film) and at one point in the movie, a character says, "who can we protest to, Hitler?"

Good luck protesting anything under the IJ$. Remember, the $ystem was built, designed and based on not getting caught cheating.
    Think about the comparison you just made, And if you'd take actions against something like that if you could.

It's not like the ISU are so strong that everyone's afraid to mess with them.

vCash
    Sp

Judge 1: Robert Rosenbluth
    Judge 2: Karen Howard
    Judge 3: Franco Benini
    Judge 4: Birgit Foell
    Judge 5: Diana Stevens
    Judge 6: Nobuhiko Yoshioka
    Judge 7: Katarina Henriksson
    Judge 8: Adriana Domanska
    Judge 9: Koh Sung-Hee

Fs
    Judge 1: Birgit Foll
    Judge 2: Yuri Balkov
    Judge 3: Franco Benini
    Judge 4: Zanna Kulik
    Judge 5: Nobuhiko Yoshioka
    Judge 6: Alla Shekhovtsova
    Judge 7: Helene Cucuphat
    Judge 8: Karen Howard
    Judge 9: Adriana Domanska

So the request is that all these people be investigated

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    Think about the comparison you just made, And if you'd take actions against something like that if you could.

It's not like the ISU are so strong that everyone's afraid to mess with them.
    Please lead and show us the way out of the darkness.
    Just remember not everybody is interested in entering your Yunaverse,

There are many Carolina fans - it's just that on the whole they are a classy, sporting group who are happy with the memory of how well she skated in Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post

What a sad place the world would be if everyone thought like this. Women not getting paid the same for doing the same job as a man? Suck it up and stop whining! you're lucky we even let you vote!
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    Really? Like what? The ladies event was the only thing that really stood out for me. Maybe the Dance bronze. Maybe.

vCash
    Please lead and show us the way out of the darkness.
    Just remember not everybody is interested in entering your Yunaverse,

There are many Carolina fans - it's just that on the whole they are a classy, sporting group who are happy with the memory of how well she skated in Sochi.
    Those Carolina Fans are me,

I don't care what country served the complaint, As long as someone did,

And i don't find anything "Classy" about shutting up in the face of something you think is unjust,

If anything, The whole KOC\KSU articulation in this complaint, if you read their statement, is being very classy.
    Last edited by Eladola; 03-21-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast