Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I agree with overedge - have someone look at your blades. Tell them what you'll be doing and how much you'll be skating and see if they think the blades should be sharpened. It's possible there may be some rust, too, which a sharpening would take off. And see what kind of radius/depth you have - I think 7/16" is the shallower choice, which is more common with FS skaters, esp beginners. A half-inch makes you grab the ice more, which someone in your situation wouldn't want. For one, it feels like you're skating through peanut butter (I found out this summer when I went to a new sharpener that I had the deeper cut, he changed it and I could feel the difference right away).
    No, no, no. The 7/16" hollow is deeper, not shallower. The 8/16" hollow is much more typical. Think about the how the edges will look if they are making a circle based on that 7/16" hollow vs. the 8/16" hollow. The 8/16" is much more typical, especially for beginners. And a lot of sharpeners will not bother to change their settings anyway. So they may tell you one thing and do what's easier for them.

My other pet peeve is when people say they lose their ability to stop when the blades are newly sharpened. A good sharpener will wipe the blade and take care of it so you don't lose that ability to stop. When I get my skates sharpened, I can feel the grip, and I have better run of edge, and skate faster with no more effort, but I can stop from the very first time I try to stop. The best sharpeners know how to do this. One of my best sharpeners was Rocky Marvel. I used to drive over to his rink periodically and have him sharpen my skates, and he did a great job.

vCash
    There isn't really a choice of sharpeners here. Both of them, I can't stop on freshly sharpened blades. One requires a 30 mile drive.

vCash
    Tell them to wipe the blades, get the sharp burrs off. Unless you wait way too long between sharpenings, they should be able to fix it so you don't have that problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8pics View Post
    No, no, no. The 7/16" hollow is deeper, not shallower. The 8/16" hollow is much more typical. Think about the how the edges will look if they are making a circle based on that 7/16" hollow vs. the 8/16" hollow. The 8/16" is much more typical, especially for beginners. And a lot of sharpeners will not bother to change their settings anyway. So they may tell you one thing and do what's easier for them.
    Ooops! Guess I got them mixed up. But my previous sharpening (for who knows how long) was definitely the deeper sharpening, and now I have the shallower one. The shop I used to go to was at a dance-oriented rink, so the machine may have been set to sharpen deeper and the sharpener may have just gone with that for everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12