Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

L'Wren Scott, Fashion Designer & Mick Jagger's Girlfriend, Found Dead

vCash
    Just saw this on Yahoo. WTH? At first I thought the headline was a mistake. How very sad.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    She was very popular with the A-listers and I think even Michelle Obama has worn her fashions. What a waste. A very striking woman too - tall and stately looking.

vCash
    R.I.P.

vCash
    Just awful....R.I.P.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Quadless
    vCash
    I'm stunned. From the outside, she appeared to have everything going for her - enormous talent, a successful business, incredible connections, wealth - and yet she apparently could not go on. It's very sad.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Awful news. RIP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    a successful business
    I read an article that said her business was $5 million in debt, and she had just pulled out of a fashion week show abruptly.

vCash
    I just saw on the news that it was $6 million in debt. Guess the relationship with Jagger wasn't so hot if he couldn't give her what would be chump change to him.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    To be fair, maybe he had no idea that her business was in trouble. Wouldn't be surprising if she was determined to make it on her own (which by all accounts she was for a time at least), and/or they did kept their professional and personal lives separate. It's impossible to know what the nature of their relationship was, and therefore I don't think it makes sense to point fingers like this.

vCash
    I certainly don't blame Mick. This was her decision. Suicide is always the decision of the person committing it; no one really drives someone else to suicide.

vCash
    I don't know that a cash infusion is the answer for all failing businesses. Mick paying off her debt might have been a Band-Aid that would not have prevented her from going right back into debt. And it probably wouldn't have taken away her feelings of personal failure.

vCash
    I don't think Mick Jagger gives money to his girlfriends, that would set him up for palimony. He never financially supported Jerry Hall's forays into fashion and theater. Plus he doesn't seem particularly monogamous so where would it end?

vCash
    Oh, I'm not suggesting that that's the reason why she killed herself: that she was so mired in debt and Jagger refused to bail her out. I don't presume to know the reason/s. It is just a "guess" that the relationship wasn't as close and involved as it could have been if Jagger wasn't aware of how much trouble Scott was in financially. If he was aware of it, there was much that he could have done to ameliorate her financial situation. If she would not have been receptive to his help, or, if for whatever reason he didn't want to help her, now that, to me, bespeaks of a relationship that doesn't exactly scream pure, undying love (although I'd have a hard time believing Jagger capable of being that much involved in a woman given his romantic history).

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Her business was in debt, not her, and they weren't married. Anyone who's smart knows that you don't mix personal funds with business funds. Every relationship is different, but just because someone won't fund his/her partner's business doesn't mean that it was unhealthy.

I find it much more likely that the business debt existing at all was the last straw for her. She was accomplished, and I know of many high-achievers who suffer from depression because they can't handle any kind of setback.

It's more common hearing about such suicides involving workaholic men, but high-achieving women certainly are not immune.

vCash
    And where on earth did I say it was unhealthy? And don't split hairs about whether it was she or her business in debt; whatever it was, she had trouble on her plate. If he knew about it and could have helped her out but didn't; if she didn't want him to know about it (and I find it hard to believe that he didn't; if he was that clueless, they must have been even more distant than I thought) or didn't want his help - any of those scenarios denote to me (feel I have to bold this since it's being assumed that I'm stating my personal views as facts) that the relationship wasn't a truly close and open one.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I find it much more likely that the business debt existing at all was the last straw for her. She was accomplished, and I know of many high-achievers who suffer from depression because they can't handle any kind of setback.
    you don't get $6million in debt overnight, so that must have been a mighty long straw.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    you don't get $6million in debt overnight, so that must have been a mighty long straw.
    Denial is a powerful thing. Having to pull out of a fashion show definitely added to it, I'd say. The business debt existing and then catching up to her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    How does a high-end fashion house go into debt like that, I wonder?

vCash
    I think it's pretty common. Isaac Mizrahi's business in the 90s - when he was at his most popular - was actually losing money every year and closed by 1998.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast