vCash

So, what is the biggest "surprise" after taking up the sport again?

I'm finding:

1) stretch, stretch, and prepare off-ice.
    I do not want to be hindered by an injury, sprain or pull, that I could have avoided if I prepared correctly or properly.

2) much more conscious intention
    Maybe not good to think too much about a move/jump, and it is hindering my prior tendency to "oh, just go for it". But now, since I haven't got a coach (yet?), I'm having to remind myself of how something is supposed to be. Certainly when something isn't feeling right.

3) I think I miss figures. Maybe a bit.
    I'm finding that if my body isn't standing correctly, going into a corner and working on it as a figure, really helps.
    When I first skated, sessions began with 50 minutes of figures, and it must have worked as a really good "body alignment warmup"

4) takes longer to warm up "on ice".
    I think this is my current challenge, to find an efficiency warmup routine, so that I can get on with working on more complicated things.

vCash
    How expensive it is.

vCash
    I didn't skate as a kid, so I have nothing to compare it to!
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Lutes. I cannot get the counter rotation for the life go me.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Where did the back threes go? I had them once...

vCash
    Biggest surprise for me is how long it is taking to re-learn things. The first time I returned to skating, I was doing all sorts of things within just a few months after having not skated for 17 years. This time is completely different and my skating goes up and down so progress is exceedingly slow.

vCash
    1. I am more motivated now
    2. I am more afraid of falling than I used to be
    3. I love it more
    4. I am worse than ever at spins :-)

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    I started skating again about two months ago after being off for five years. It's been surprisingly hard to relearn things. I am a lot more fearful of falling, and that's preventing me from trying things. I had to get new boots because my old ones were so painful. The new ones have a heel that is 1/4" higher than my old boots and that still feels strange to me. Also, I'm now down 81 lbs. since I stopped skating, and I'm still trying to get used to my new center of balance.

When I first came back, I could barely stroke without feeling as though I was about to face plant. Now I still have moments of feeling I'm off balance when I first step on the ice, but it's getting better. I spend a lot of time working on edges. I haven't yet tried to jump or spin but hope to try soon. On Thursday, I finally got my blades permanently mounted and had planned to try waltz jumps yesterday, but the session was overrun with out-of-control boys on hockey skates who were skating as fast as they could but didn't know how to stop. I left early because I was afraid of being knocked down.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    surprises--how much deeper knee bends improves the jumps and how important a straight back is to EVERYTHING in skating