vCash

So, is it easier to go to double salchow, before Axel?

I stopped skating 20 years ago and returned to it 3 months ago.

I think it would be nice to be able to do all my jumps again, and I'm finding that I'm easily over-rotating my jumps.

I wonder if it would be a quicker route to an Axel by working on my double Salchow first, and take advantage of all that rotation that I'm getting?

vCash
    Judging by the fact that the adult gold test allows an axel, a double salchow or a double toe, it seems that for some people a double is easier than an axel. It probably depends on the individual skater which one is easiest.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Some of the higher level skater who are on my FS sessions tend to work on their beginning doubles more than their axel as well. One of them explained it's because axel take offs can be scarier if you don't skate on a regular basis any more and the timing of a double comes back quicker, or at least feels more natural. Maybe you're the same? I agree with Skittl this is all a personal preference, though.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    It depends on the skater. A former coach told me as a child, she got her double sal before the axel. For me as an adult, I got the axel first.

vCash
    Don't do what I did and get hung up on sequence. Learn jumps in whichever order works for you.

vCash
    if you're easily overrotating your jumps, then are you checking hard enough? it might be a good idea to strengthen your checking before starting doubles. just my opinion though