vCash

Worlds Coverage in Canada

CBC will be broadcasting daily highlight shows as usual, but I haven't seen anyone online mention SportsNet One (SN1). SN1 will be broadcasting full-event, live coverage just like Bold used to do. (So happy CBC was able to work this out!)

vCash
    Sorry, someone did post about it but in the World Championship forum. Anyway, just to let you know, once I confirmed that my own cable company was going to carry this coverage, I emailed Pj Kwong to see if she would be commentating and she kindly took the time to reply and confirm that she did not have a lot of the detail yet but was indeed going to be commentating on Sportsnet live coverage for all disciplines. Pj actually emailed me from Sochi where she was doing PA Announcing in the Ice Cube for the Paralympic Wheelchair Curling.

Sorry I forgot to share that here. It is such good news and better yet, I get Sportsnet in HD so that is an upgrade for me. My cable provided did not offer Bold in HD at least in my market.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    My onscreen guide on Bell Fibe confirms the SN1 live coverage overnight on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday plus the Gala overnight on Saturday. What a very pleasant piece of news, especially with PJ's commentary.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Best news I've heard in a while!

vCash
    Just an alert - this is being discussed in the World's forum - the start time for the Pairs Short Program appears to have changed and it will start one hour earlier than previously posted on the Official Japanese site. The time of the SN1 coverage has only changed to 1/2 hour earlier due to the NBA game so it looks like we may be missing the start of the Pair Short Program. Just remember that we should still be able to stream it from the start at cbc.ca. (Thanks for the reminder, danafan.)

vCash
    More confusion here in Canada. On the afternoon CBC preview show Scott Russell said the coverage of the Pair Short Program on Sportsnet 1 will start at 9pm ET, not 9:30 as indicated in the listings. I suggest tuning in at the start of the PS just in case is on. I have set my PVR to start early but 15 minutes is the max so I guess I will have to go back and use the other tuner to start during the scheduled NBA game.

vCash
    Link to CBC's TV and live streaming schedule on Skate Canada's site, with SportsNet One's broadcast coverage times now added: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    hmm - well that still doesn't match the listings on my cable box because it shows additional coverage from 5 am ET to 7:45 AM ET and that listing has them quitting at 5 am.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    The sports net coverage started at 9:30 but they are showing from the first group. I guess they will end up live by the time you take into account ice makes later. The men's short is supposed to send at 7:45 AM. I don't know why they divided the broadcasts this way. CBC bold used to have random times too.

vCash
    danafan, my guess is that Sportsnet1 uses 5 am ET to divide "yesterday's" programs from "today's" programs, rather than midnight forcing a change in listing even though it is a continuous program. Unfortunately, since I didn't want to end up with a stop and restart in the middle of a skater's program, I could not use their listing to set the PVR. My PVR only allows for a maximum of 2 additional hours which would not take us to the end of the event. So I had to go into the PVR menu and "Set a Recording" using strickly start and stop times and channel. I tried that last night on 2 PVR's and one did the job but the other did not record due to "fatal error" according to the PVR history log.

So just to be safe tonight I had to start the timer an hour earlier than the actual start of the Ladies because I want to be sure it starts recording and I don't want to wait up another whole hour just to be sure.

That break in listing sure is inconvenient.

vCash
    I have to say I have been very impressed with the coverage. No chacking of any skaters, and commercial-free for the final flights of skaters. And especially mighty impressed that they did air the early pairs skaters--so, we were 30 minutes behind the online coverage, but who cares. I still remember when BOLD had a technical issue of the 2010 Worlds Gala, resulting in no coverage of it and never reairing it. I think because Sportsnet One is an actual sports network, they would've reaired it on some later date.

I'm hoping the ratings are great and Sportsnet One and CBC are encouraged to air other skating competitions in their entirety, like 4CC and Jr Worlds.

Sucks that Canadians and Skate Canada is stuck with CTV forever and ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post

Sucks that Canadians and Skate Canada is stuck with CTV forever and ever.
    No kidding. I always hate the TSN/CTV coverage, because they don't stream anything but never show the whole thing (and being on the west coast, I'm hostage to their time zone altered "live" programs whenever it's on the main network). They just don't see FS as a sport, and are very disrespectful of people who do.

vCash
    I am not a twitt(erer that is ) so I am putting a call out to one of you who is to send a tweet to skatingpj to ask if she will add the Free Dance performances that were missed during the live broadcast during "down time" at the Gala. Particularily I would like to hear her commentary for Gilles & Poirier, but also Coomes & Buckland if there is time.

Anybody else think that is a good idea?

vCash
    That is a great idea. Usually, there is only one longish break in the gala, and I don't know if there would be enough time to show both programs. Considering the main network showed G&P, I would rather they show C&B.

I also wanted to say that I think Scott Russell does an excellent job of interviewing all the skaters--Canadian or otherwise. Respectful, knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

vCash
    I've just now reviewed my Worlds coverage and from what I've seen on the main network, even though there was only hour long broadcasts during the day and evening, they still managed to jam pack a lot of content and interviews in to their broadcasts and I'm not unhappy with it at all. I've been quite happy with it and the bonus of watching the whole thing on Sportsnet

The only thing I wish is that they would get rid of Carol Lane and bring back Tracy Wilson. Lane comes off as incredibly fake to me and grates my last nerve. I miss having Tracy do these broadcasts but at least we still get her for Skate Canada and Nationals.
    Kyle

vCash
    I really don't mind Carol. I was impressed with how much she came across as a big Paul & Islam fan, even though right now they are her own team's closest Canadian rival.

Regarding the extra time during the gala, there has been significant time available at previous Worlds either due to an inability of the host country to keep to the schedule, or because they scheduled extra time at the beginning of the broadcast. I recall a whole Pj Honour Roll of encore performances. This time, with Japan being the host the whole thing will run like clockwork. The only deviations from the schedule so far have come due to skaters withdrawing from the competition after the draw. Also, I think the Japanese have ice resurfacing down to a science and do it in record time. But of course, they may want to have a longer than necessary break between act 1 and 2 just to give the audience a chance to "stretch their legs". Something they can do much more easily during the competition with the constant stops between skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    I really don't mind Carol. I was impressed with how much she came across as a big Paul & Islam fan, even though right now they are her own team's closest Canadian rival.
    I think Carol Lane (& Kurt Browning) tried to come across as fans of all the Canadian skaters, which kind of makes sense. While commentators are there to offer some objective commentary, the Canadian commentators are normally fond of the Canadian skaters they have known since they were kids, and I'd be surprised to hear any serious bashing going on.

As for Carole Lane, I don't think she is as polished a commentator as Tracy Wilson yet, but this is only her first year doing it. I get the sense that Tracy Wilson decided not to renew her contract with CBC and decided just to keep her work with CTV and NBC. So I don't think Lane tried to boot out Wilson. I think Wilson is probably the best ice dance commentator in North America, but I guess she can't be on all the networks all the time!