Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    I fear I may have the most eccentric eating habits on this board.

My breakfast is two cups of strong black expresso.

I like breakfast foods for dinner and sometimes left-over dinner foods for breakfast. If there is an occasion for cake, like a birthday, I leave it until the following morning.

Coffee and chocolate is a wonderful breakfast, but I rarely have chocolate due to the calories and sugar.

Mostly, I'm a grazer and a hedonist.

The idea of having to sit down and eat an entire meal is x amount of minutes never really appealed to me. The European concept of having a late, lingering dinner with local wine has always appealed to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    I thought the Beta-carotene in carrots help to keep your eyes healthy?

Baby carrots are just carrots chopped up? They don't look like big carrots chopped into smaller carrots
    I found an article on baby carrots... http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...-baby-carrots/

So I guess it's a special carrot that they cut up to shorten it to size... I did not know that

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    But I'm amazed at how many people eat essentially the same breakfast every day. Don't you get tired of it?
    When I get up in the morning, it's just easier not to have to think too hard or make choices.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    What do you eat for breakfast?
    I pick over whatever thosee kitchen staff people have placed out on the buffet table.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Generally an orange (mineolas are my favorite.) A cup of yogurt (I like Oikos lemon merengue, lime, orange, or coffee, though as I was breezing through Whole Paycheck and saw a sale on "Australian-Style" yogurt and have been trying that--the anti-Greek yogurt, basically.) Sometimes with slivered almonds. Once in a while I'll have basted eggs instead. And some kind of pastry--cookie, danish, doughnut, whatever. I prefer sweets in the morning, as a general rule, and cereal is more of a midnight snack! The last couple days, though, it's been leftover kasha with mushrooms as I made it for dinner Thursday and I eat dinner at work so I used it up for breakfast.

Coffee is vital.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    If my breakfast is so late that it's really lunch, I love having smoked salmon and avocado with some kind of a whole grain like quinoa or lentils that I usually load with kale and other veggies. The latter requires some preparation although Trader Joe's cooked lentils are a blessing.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I never eat yogurt for breakfast because coffee-yogurt combination does not suit my stomach. Even though I drink tea, I just avoid the caffeine-yogurt combination.

vCash
    No, not food allergies; respiratory allergies. That doesn't make intuitive sense to a lot of people, but the reason why we tend to be nauseated and/or don't feel hungry in the morning is pretty gross and you probably don't want to know why it is.
    My allergies don't make me nauseous, but I usually wake up with a sore throat and no appetite. I rarely eat right after getting up. I do drink a lot of water. Then coffee or tea. (My allergist thinks the nasal congestion is interfering with my sleep, which may be one of the reasons I crave caffeine when I wake up.) And then I eat something light a couple of hours after I wake up. Maybe some nuts and fruit. Maybe some yogurt.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Before steroids and the newer drugs, asthma was treated with theophylline, which is basically caffeine.
    I've never used it for long-term treatment, but I will use hot black coffee if I start wheezing (tea is also okay, but not as good) with the H1 and 2 blockers when I don't have access to prednisone. The heat and caffeine will help relax the bronchial tubes.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    If my breakfast is so late that it's really lunch, I love having smoked salmon and avocado with some kind of a whole grain like quinoa or lentils that I usually load with kale and other veggies. The latter requires some preparation although Trader Joe's cooked lentils are a blessing.
    Have you tried millet? They have it at Whole Foods and I'm curious but on some level it's still "cockatiel food" to me. I do have a recipe in my Soviet cookbook for a pumpkin millet kasha....

vCash
    Doughnut has not yet make an appearance on anyone's breakfast list here...or are some of you just not willing to admit it

vCash
    My favorite Russian breakfast, syrniki was not mentioned. They really are delightful, a great childhood memory--a weekend breakfast, of course. Weekdays it was hard boiled eggs or rye bread with a slice or cheese or kasha (porridge).
    I love syrniki! Though prefer a healthier version with no sugar.

I try to combine complex carbs, protein and sometimes good fats for breakfast, so I mix anything from the following list depending on how much time I have and what there is in the fridge.

Complex carbs:
    - oatmeat without any sugar, salt, butter, but sometimes topped with berries/fruits/nuts
    - overnight buckwheat
    - wholegrain toast with nut butter or mashed avocado

Protein:
    - scrambled or boiled eggs
    - quark or cottage cheese
    - syrniki
    Last edited by Hindernisse; 03-17-2014 at 02:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I've never used it for long-term treatment, but I will use hot black coffee if I start wheezing (tea is also okay, but not as good) with the H1 and 2 blockers when I don't have access to prednisone. The heat and caffeine will help relax the bronchial tubes.
    I don't use it as treatment, either, but I find that after an episode, treated with albuterol, a cup of coffee helps me feel better faster. And if something has not escalated to the point of needing an inhaler but I am feeling wheezy or coughing, coffee works really well to stop it.

vCash
    There is such a thing as Trader Joe's cooked lentils?!! Thank you for the tip! I hate cooking lentils but I love lentil salad.

My breakfast habits are a cross of Prancer's and Japanfan's: I get bored eating the same thing for breakfast (or lunch or dinner) more than twice in a row, I love savory things for breakfast, and I can eat traditional breakfast fare any time of day.
    My older daughter got my husband into a tradition of making pancakes or waffles (from scratch) on Sunday, so this is more or less constant. Other days: eggs (sunny side up, fake poached, or scrambled), smoked salmon with good bread, melted cheese on whole wheat bread, syrniki (if my mom made some for my kids and packed the leftovers to take home), occasionally yogurt or my kids' cereal (multigrain cheerios) with almond slices & raisins. Rare indulgences are left-over desserts: flowerless chocolate cake or panettone with coffee - yum!

And here is my personal indulgent invention: adding a bit of port to maple syrup when my husband makes waffles. I never pour syrup on waffles/pancakes. Instead, I pour it in a small dipping dish - this way I consume way less of it. So, 2-3 times a year (typically during holidays) I add port to my dipping dish of syrup and it's divine!
    Edited to add: when it's holidays and we are having waffles for breakfast, we eat at about 11 am. So I'm not boozing it up at 6 am!
    Last edited by Ania; 03-17-2014 at 04:19 PM.

vCash
    A triple-shot latte, first thing, so around 7am. Then at 10am break, plain non-fat yogurt (brands with lots of live cultures, but not probiotic per se) with cut up fruit in it, usually apple and orange.

On the weekends, latte, then for me toast made with really good bread. Nothing beats toast! Sometimes if I'm in the mood, poached eggs as well. Very occasionally, the whole bacon, eggs and hashbrowns thing - which I could eat every day.

This weekend I went to brunch here: http://restaurantroux.com/menu/brunch-menu/

and now finally get the whole Chicken and Waffles thing, because WOW!

Has anyone tried shakshuka for breakfast? It looks like something I would love. I bet PRLady has as well as the Israeli contingent.
    I have had something that is one of the variations in the post here: http://golden-beetle.com/menus/brunch/

They call it wood-fired baked eggs, but it look like pretty much the same thing. Very good.
    Last edited by znachki; 03-17-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Have you tried millet? They have it at Whole Foods and I'm curious but on some level it's still "cockatiel food" to me. I do have a recipe in my Soviet cookbook for a pumpkin millet kasha....
    I used to have a parakeet when I was a kid and so I can't eat millet without thinking of him, may he RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Hindernisse View Post
    I love syrniki! Though prefer a healthier version with no sugar.
    I've never tried them without sugar but if you add some fruit, should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ania View Post
    There is such a thing as Trader Joe's cooked lentils?!! Thank you for the tip! I hate cooking lentils but I love lentil salad.
    Yup, a real life saver.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post

Baby carrots are just carrots chopped up? They don't look like big carrots chopped into smaller carrots
    They're not chopped carrots: they're carved out of whole carrots. It takes a lot of water, and the "shavings" are used for filler.

I eat either plain yogurt or Greek yogurt with a chopped up piece of fruit -- usually an apple or banana -- a few nuts (almonds and/or cashew pieces), and hemp seeds. Or pickled herring or lox. Or leftovers -- I hate breakfast food and love leftover Thai, Chinese, Indian, chicken, etc.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I hate breakfast. I am never hungry in the morning and most of the time I am just queasy. I am diabetic so I try to not eat too many sweets and it is really hard to have a quick breakfast that it isn't high in sugar and/or carbs. I would have to cook something like eggs or bacon and I am not about to take the time to do that in the morning when I am not hungry to begin with. I just skip it.

ETA: I love breakfast food, though. I just mean I hate eating it in the morning. I actually had breakfast for dinner tonight!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I hate breakfast. I am never hungry in the morning and most of the time I am just queasy. I am diabetic so I try to not eat too many sweets and it is really hard to have a quick breakfast that it isn't high in sugar and/or carbs. I would have to cook something like eggs or bacon and I am not about to take the time to do that in the morning when I am not hungry to begin with. I just skip it.
    Would you eat something like bacon and eggs if it were food you make ahead of time?

I have a couple of recipes for make-ahead breakfasts for diabetics; you just heat and eat. But you might not like them if you aren't hungry in the morning.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    People actually thought baby carrots were little mini carrots!? Really!?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast