Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Wow. I need to go to Israel, if only for this.
    If you need further persuasion, check out the rest of David Lebovitz's posts from his Israeli trip - he was here as part of food bloggers's tour back in 2012.

vCash
    I was amazed at the breakfast spread at my hotel in Tel Aviv when I was there a few months ago - pastas, salads, cakes, cheese, bread, vegetables, fruit - it was like nothing I've ever seen.

However, I'm boring and eat oatmeal for breakfast every single day, unless I'm traveling.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Prancer, I had read the various studies challenging the importance of eating breakfast, but I did not know that allergy sufferers (of which I am one) are less likely to want to eat in the morning. Interesting, and makes sense.

My usual breakfast is 3-4 shots of espresso + almond milk. Plus either two cups of black coffee, or another triple shot when I get to the office if I'm really tired.

If I don't think I will be able to get lunch until after 1 p.m., or if I am planning any strenuous physical activity before lunch -- e.g., on weekends, I will typically run 7-10 miles -- I'll eat a toasted whole wheat English muffin (or light whole wheat/multi-grain brain), with peanut butter and sliced banana. If I'm running more than 10 miles, I'll eat two English muffins or four slices of bread and also drink a Vitamin Water Zero.

I'm not as extreme as Taz'smum, but I have adopted a strict vegetarian diet with very limited dairy, eggs, and processed foods, and I've never felt better or more energetic. I suspect all of our bodies are different, though, and what works for one person may not work for another.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    You have food allergies? Can you at least eat Wasa crisps or crackers? They are bland at least.
    No, not food allergies; respiratory allergies. That doesn't make intuitive sense to a lot of people, but the reason why we tend to be nauseated and/or don't feel hungry in the morning is pretty gross and you probably don't want to know why it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Prancer, I had read the various studies challenging the importance of eating breakfast, but I did not know that allergy sufferers (of which I am one) are less likely to want to eat in the morning.
    That's what the doctors have always told me. I hardly ever ate breakfast when I was younger (my allergies, either because of meds or age, have been declining in the last few years ) because I was always kind of queasy in the morning and one of my children is a non-breakfast eater. He had a stomach scope a few years ago and one their findings was that his stomach was very irritated in places, which they attributed to his allergies, none of which are dietary (that we know of, anyway).

Your coffee addiction could be related to allergies, too--caffeine helps you breathe.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    No, not food allergies; respiratory allergies. That doesn't make intuitive sense to a lot of people, but the reason why we tend to be nauseated and/or don't feel hungry in the morning is pretty gross and you probably don't want to know why it is.

That's what the doctors have always told me. I hardly ever ate breakfast when I was younger (my allergies, either because of meds or age, have been declining in the last few years ) because I was always kind of queasy in the morning and one of my children is a non-breakfast eater. He had a stomach scope a few years ago and one their findings was that his stomach was very irritated in places, which they attributed to his allergies, none of which are dietary (that we know of, anyway).

Your coffee addiction could be related to allergies, too--caffeine helps you breathe.
    Interesting. I have always had respiratory allergies and have never been a breakfast eater. I eat it more now than I used to, but I still prefer not to eat at all for an hour or so after getting up. And I am also a coffee addict. A doctor (who was asthmatic himself) told me once to have all I want as caffeine is a natural bronchodilator and he tells his asthmatic patients not to give up caffeine.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    A friend of mine agrees with this. Here's her take, some of which I agree with and some of which I don't:

http://www.dfitlife.com/breakfast-is...al-of-the-day/

My own experience is that most of us, especially those on the yo-yo dieting train, have had years of not to listen to our bodies. It takes time to learn to do so.

I started out by forcing myself to have breakfast in the morning because I know my body won't tell me it's hungry even if it is if it has learned I won't feed it anyway. Once my brain knew I would feed it in the AM and was willing to give me "I'm hungry" signals, I started cutting back. And I find that sometimes I'm hungry in the AM and sometimes I'm not and so sometimes I eat right away and sometimes I don't.

What I generally "eat" is a protein shake. Except on the weekends, sometimes I can convince the hubby to make some bacon and eggs.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Interesting. I have always had respiratory allergies and have never been a breakfast eater. I eat it more now than I used to, but I still prefer not to eat at all for an hour or so after getting up. And I am also a coffee addict. A doctor (who was asthmatic himself) told me once to have all I want as caffeine is a natural bronchodilator and he tells his asthmatic patients not to give up caffeine.
    Before steroids and the newer drugs, asthma was treated with theophylline, which is basically caffeine.

That's how I got hooked on coffee--a doctor recommended I drink lots of tea, but I found out I liked coffee better and I thought it had a stronger effect. The research on coffee and asthma is actually rather mixed, but it appears to be more a matter of it not working for everyone than it not working at all.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Vacant
    vCash
    During the week I usually have a couple of slices of home made broccoli bread. As someone who bloats at the sight of bread, this is perfect for me. I usually have it with melted half fat cheese. At weekends I tend to not be as strict. I'm a Brit but a fried English is a rare 'treat' but Saturday I had a bacon and fried egg sandwich and today I had regular toast.

vCash
    About eight shots of good espresso.
    With it usually, if I am not late ( which, not being a morning person, I often am)- greek non- fat yogurt with honey ( sometimes with fruit), steel cut oatmeat with maple syrup or a couple of eggs with lots of spices.
    Prancer, I never connected my lack of appetite in the mornings with being a highly allergic type ( same goes for my mother and son), but it is an interesting way to look at it. I do not feel nauseous, but I do feel sluggish, so strong coffee is my breakfast of choice, and everything else somes and goes according to circumstances. I love cooking Sunday brunches for my family when we are all together, but it is never early ( my family has adjusted and they have light breakfast as they wait for me to consume coffee and become human)
    Last edited by dinakt; 03-16-2014 at 08:08 PM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    Prancer, I never connected my lack of appetite in the mornings with being a highly allergic type ( same goes for my mother and son)
    Do your allergies bother you at night--give you trouble sleeping, clog up your nose when you lay down, etc.? And (gross alert)

Spoiler

That's what does you in. People who have allergies but sleep pretty well don't usually have the breakfast issue.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I don't have allergies but am simply miserable in the early morning. I can go to bed super early, like 8 or 9 and still be a zombie at 6 am. I am a natural night owl and have a lot of energy late at night. I college when I had total control of my schedule, my first class started at 11 am. My best work was done around 2 or 3 am.

However, the world is hostile to night owls. Plus now that I have Mini Ice and have to drop him off at school most of the weekdays--sometimes my mom and hubby pitch in-- sleeping in is mostly an impossible dream. My work starts in the late morning so I have time to get unzombified and eat some breakfast most days.

As to diet in general, I try to really limit processed carbs, including bread, pasta and of course sugar. I also avoid high calorie fruit like persimmons and bananas. The good, complex carbs come from fruit and veg but every now and then, on vacation or a special occasion, I let myself enjoy a great pastry or a slice of artisan bread. Those are treats and technically happen rarely. This is not really about weight control but health, trying to keep a low glycemic index.

Before a workout I don't really eat anything. I am not starving and should have plenty of energy to complete an hour workout (weights mostly with a short cardio at the end). Afterwards it's the disgusting protein shake. Meh. Someone needs to come up with one that tastes semi-decent.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 03-16-2014 at 09:23 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Protein Shake - 30 mg of Whey Protein w/ organic products to include 2% milk, banana, peanut butter and usually a seasonal berry, side accompaniment of gluten-free toast + organic cream-cheese (low fat when available)

vCash
    Usually: Boxed cereal with calcium enriched skim milk, fruit (usually bananas or berries; occasionally half grapefruit or a small glass of orange juice), hot tea.

Occasionally: donut or bagel or (extremely rare) a waffle with coffee or tea

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Wow. I need to go to Israel, if only for this.
    When I visited Israel (long ago) on a business trip, I absolutely loved the breakfast there. Of course I ate 4 times of what I normally eat for breakfast.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    [/SPOILER]
    i had that for years until i gave up dairy
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taz'smum View Post
    Prior to that, most people ate one large meal a day, typically in the afternoon when they came in tired from working in the fields!
    People used to do many different things. It doesn't mean that we should be doing them now. What would be the point of eating one large meal in the evening? You don't need the energy any more, you are not going to spend it so the glucose will just end up getting converted into fat.

Your body is designed to cope until food becomes available, and all the drip feeding that we do now makes the body lazy and inefficient!
    What do you mean by that? (Your body can cope with a lot of things, it doesn't mean that it should.)

It is well documented across the internet that cancer doesn't occur in an alkaline environment.
    Uhmmm... there are lots of things that are 'well documented' across the internet including the Illuminati trying to bring about the 'new world order.'

Of course, you're much less likely to be ill if you take care of yourself but, as far as I am aware, there haven't been any randomised controlled trials which would prove the 'diet can cure cancer' claim. And what you eat cannot significantly affect the pH level in your blood: http://www.intelihealth.com/article/...on?hd=Food#can

Further we throw away apple pips because they are poisonous. Yet our bodies have evolved to be able to process this poison in small quantities. However, for cancer cells, this poison is toxic. So keep on eating apple pips, the vitamin B17 is toxic for cancer!
    Uhmmm...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdalin
    http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/canc...apies/laetrile
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-16-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Here's another cute video about food lies: https://www.yahoo.com/food/were-very...364057597.html

I knew that about baby carrots.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    And I believe that. But one of the problems with being a chronic allergy sufferer is that you tend to wake up nauseated, sometimes more, sometimes less, and so there are times when you can't face food.

I'm sure other people have other reasons. But on days where I skip breakfast, it's because I'm just not able to even look at food for a couple of hours.
    That happens to me too. This morning, I only drank ginger ale for breakfast because I was nauseous as a result of my allergies.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    I thought the Beta-carotene in carrots help to keep your eyes healthy?

Baby carrots are just carrots chopped up? They don't look like big carrots chopped into smaller carrots

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Everyday: Lots of coffee, yogurt, banana, vitamins and meds.

Usually with one of the following:
    Oatmeal w/maple or honey
    3 eggs over easy w/4 slices of rye toast
    Honeynut Cheerios
    10 strawberries and 2 cups of white grapes
    French Toast made from left over baquette
    Chocolate chip pancakes

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast