Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    So another dumb question .... I have a bunch of fun pinball games where the icon is loaded directly on my desktop (I just click the game I want right on my desktop to play it). My dad loaded them on there when I got the computer (which is like 10+ years old!). How do I get those games, and other things on my current desktop, onto my new computer? I have no clue where my dad got them from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    So another dumb question .... I have a bunch of fun pinball games where the icon is loaded directly on my desktop (I just click the game I want right on my desktop to play it). My dad loaded them on there when I got the computer (which is like 10+ years old!). How do I get those games, and other things on my current desktop, onto my new computer? I have no clue where my dad got them from.
    If they are that old, it's likely they need XP to run. If you take the old machine off your network and disable wireless, you should be fine to keep it until you tire of the games.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Both Chrome and Firefox are far superior browsers in any case.
    Chrome always gives my PC the "Blue Screen of Death". Had to stop using it.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    ... whole post ...
    That's an awesome bit of research, Simone -- thanks so much for sharing!

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Both Chrome and Firefox are far superior browsers in any case.
    Thanks for bringing that up! I found out through the research that Chrome was very safe to use, too. I'm already finding out how superior Mozilla FireFox really is compared to IN browsers. I may decide to download it for my Windows 7 laptop, too!

I decided to keep the internet with my Windows XP laptop because I still receive updates for some of my software, and I also have Microsoft OneNote 2010 on my Windows XP laptop. There is also software I use that has no updated drivers for later operating systems like Windows 8. That's another reason I did the research on security measures for Windows XP.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Rex, I didn't see your post about the "Blue Screen of Death" with Chrome until now. I think I'll just stick with the FireFox then.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Rex, I didn't see your post about the "Blue Screen of Death" with Chrome until now. I think I'll just stick with the FireFox then.
    I had to remove it - it did work faster than MS IE, but I'd be in the middle of surfing the web and that blue screen would show up out of nowhere. It got to the point where it was happening once a week at least.

vCash
    I plan on switching to a limited account pretty soon, which means that changes can't be made to your computer. I'm also surfing with Opera and keeping all my software updated, courtesy of Avast. I don't plan to buy right away. I think if you make some basic changes, you are fine. I have have WinPatrol, which has a free version and which alerts you when a program tries to make changes to your computer.

I may think about Windows 9, if it turns out to be better than what I've heard re Windows 8.

vCash
    At the cafeteria entrance at my work site. They recently posted a "retirement notice" for windows xp. It was actually very funny! I have been on Windows 7 since August at work, and it's mostly fine. IE8 is sometimes slow with our SharePoint stuff, through, and Chrome works much better (though of course not with XP). Some folks are getting new computers with Win8, but not me, fortunately.... (At home, I still have my Macs, thank goodness.)

vCash
    I decided to do some research about Windows XP SP3 after the support expires in April. I've found some very good tips that will keep Windows XP running pretty well after the Microsoft support and the security updates expire.

It means that Internet Explorer 9 will also no longer be supported in Windows XP. I downloaded and installed Mozilla FireFox. I then made it the default browser for Windows XP. There will continue to be updates in Windows XP for Mozilla FireFox to make it secure. I already like FireFox and it also transferred my favorites/bookmarks which was really nice.
    How do I make Firefox the default browser?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moebius View Post
    How do I make Firefox the default browser?
    It will ask you when you install ("Do you want to make Firefox your default browser?" or words to that effect), but if you've already installed it you can make it default after the fact by going into Firefox then Tools > Options > Advanced > General, then click the button near the bottom of that window.

vCash
    Thanks Artemis. That was already our display, and it is much more user-friendly than the usual W8 display. DH downloaded an updated version.....Windows 8.1 perhaps? that made us both more comfortable. I still get lost in a loop sometimes, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    If they are that old, it's likely they need XP to run. If you take the old machine off your network and disable wireless, you should be fine to keep it until you tire of the games.
    Oh no! I do have the discs for some of the other games I like to play also and they all say Windows XP, so that means I won't be able to load those on my new computer, doesn't it.

I don't like complicated games and all my games and just easy, fun games to play. I hate it when technology changes! I still miss Multimate.

Now where the hell am I going to keep my old computer at so I can still play my games. I gots no room to put it.

vCash
    Oh no! I do have the discs for some of the other games I like to play also and they all say Windows XP, so that means I won't be able to load those on my new computer, doesn't it.
    Not necessarily. The discs are more likely stating the minimum requirement -- i.e., XP or later, but will not run with Win 95 or 98. They might not all work, but at least some of them are likely to be upwardly compatible with a new system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Not necessarily. The discs are more likely stating the minimum requirement -- i.e., XP or later, but will not run with Win 95 or 98. They might not all work, but at least some of them are likely to be upwardly compatible with a new system.
    Agree. Try installing them. If they fail to install, you know that the game is either a 16-bit game or has some hidden DOS features buried in it. If it was designed for Windows XP 32 bit, it may load.

vCash
    Oh I hope so! I love my simple mindless games.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I agree with Artemis@BC and Aceon6. I would definitely try to install the games. I couldn't find a dictionary in Windows 7 like I had that came with Windows XP. Dell had sent some free software like games and the Merriam-Webster Dictionary and Thesaurus with my old laptop. I installed a couple of the games and the Dictionary. It's been working fine on Windows 7 and I have the 64 bit operating system.
    Angie

vCash
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...sktop_Computer

Can a nice tech savvy person tell me if this computer would be good to suit my needs that I need in a 'puter? My needs are:

1. Watch Icenetwork, You Tube, and other skating videos without getting stuck in a reloading loop every 10 seconds or the video just plain stopping and not playing anymore.
    2. Read the Internet without getting that damn "Page Unresponsive" message every time I try to scroll thru an article or click to the second page. (so annoying!)
    3. Play Facebook games (like Candy Crush and Farm Epic, etc.) without getting the "Page Unresponsive" message and having to close the game (usually right when I'm ready to win a level I've been at for weeks!). (very annoying!)
    4. Still access all my documents done in Word, Excel and Powerpoint 2003/2007 versions.

Will this computer come with everything loaded on it so I don't have to buy any boxed programs? you know, like Word, Excel, a way to access the internet.

I went to another store and the sales guy (noticing the flashing 'gullible loser' sign above my head) tried to convince me I need a computer that was over $1,500!! Normally I'm so stupid I fall for whatever the sales guy tells me, but since I ain't spending no $1,500 on a computer, it was easy to say NO. I'm not a graphic designer, I don't make my own videos or movies, or do anything technical. I just wanna read the internet, play games, and watch Icenetwork!

Uhm, and from the picture it looks like its just the hard drive. Would I have to buy a new monitor or can I use my current one (that is about 10 years old)?

vCash
    The Inspiron 3000 is what I got. It's a few bucks cheaper if you order from Dell, but the price quoted isn't that bad. If your monitor is the old CRT style, I'd recommend getting a flat screen for under $100. Dell has a 19" on Amazon for $85. So far, total cost is $585.

Issues 1-3 are more related to the speed of your internet connection. Are you using a cable company? If so, contact them about upgrading your modem. If you're on DSL or dial up, you're probably stuck with the slow speeds. Just so you know, new computers do not have a telephone jack. You'll need to purchase a USB jack. Microcenter should carry them. Add another $25, for $620

As for issue 4, you will need to purchase a newer version of Microsoft Office for Home when you get your machine. It costs around $100. If you need Outlook, you need Microsoft Office Home & Business. It costs around $200. Assuming the Home version, we're up to $720 plus tax.

vCash
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...sktop_Computer

Can a nice tech savvy person tell me if this computer would be good to suit my needs that I need in a 'puter? My needs are:

1. Watch Icenetwork, You Tube, and other skating videos without getting stuck in a reloading loop every 10 seconds or the video just plain stopping and not playing anymore.
    2. Read the Internet without getting that damn "Page Unresponsive" message every time I try to scroll thru an article or click to the second page. (so annoying!)
    3. Play Facebook games (like Candy Crush and Farm Epic, etc.) without getting the "Page Unresponsive" message and having to close the game (usually right when I'm ready to win a level I've been at for weeks!). (very annoying!)
    4. Still access all my documents done in Word, Excel and Powerpoint 2003/2007 versions.

Will this computer come with everything loaded on it so I don't have to buy any boxed programs? you know, like Word, Excel, a way to access the internet.

I went to another store and the sales guy (noticing the flashing 'gullible loser' sign above my head) tried to convince me I need a computer that was over $1,500!! Normally I'm so stupid I fall for whatever the sales guy tells me, but since I ain't spending no $1,500 on a computer, it was easy to say NO. I'm not a graphic designer, I don't make my own videos or movies, or do anything technical. I just wanna read the internet, play games, and watch Icenetwork!

Uhm, and from the picture it looks like its just the hard drive. Would I have to buy a new monitor or can I use my current one (that is about 10 years old)?
    Yes. A system around the $500 price-point should cover all that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast