Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Worlds on NBC?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    404
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Worlds on NBC?

    Does anyone know if NBC is going to air Worlds? I can't find anything online about it. I'm also curious about who is commentating.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Nothing seems to be up yet.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,573
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42553
    I believe NBC will air a delayed recap broadcast like they have the past few years.

    ETA: According to Heather's TV schedule site: http://heatherw.com/mk/sch.htm
    Sun. Apr. 13 3-6 Worlds NBC
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    404
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I believe NBC will air a delayed recap broadcast like they have the past few years.

    ETA: According to Heather's TV schedule site: http://heatherw.com/mk/sch.htm
    Sun. Apr. 13 3-6 Worlds NBC
    Thanks for the info. You'd think NBC would want to try to capitalize on post-Olympic interest, but then...it's NBC. I don't know how/why they make their decisions.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    I'd give anything for the days of ABC WWOS...I'd sell my body.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    639
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    Thanks for the info. You'd think NBC would want to try to capitalize on post-Olympic interest, but then...it's NBC. I don't know how/why they make their decisions.
    NBC makes it's programing decisions based on ratings and projected revenues.

    If the US Skaters had done better in Sochi they might have increased coverage. Apparently the sponsors have bailed now that the Olympics are over.
    Since D/W are not competing what reason does NBC have get excited over Worlds?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    MrLucky, this makes complete sense.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    404
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    NBC makes it's programing decisions based on ratings and projected revenues.

    If the US Skaters had done better in Sochi they might have increased coverage. Apparently the sponsors have bailed now that the Olympics are over.
    Since D/W are not competing what reason does NBC have get excited over Worlds?
    Well, you're right. I wish they'd show it on NBCSN, though.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Why would D/W matter to NBC? They rarely show dance (and never pairs!)

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    639
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Why would D/W matter to NBC? They rarely show dance (and never pairs!)
    D/W just won USA's first ever OGM in Ice Dancing. ABC has already snapped them up for DWTS so no Worlds for D/W.

    At this point I don't think anybody in USA is buying "watch Gracie go for the Gold." Ashley did not win a medal or Oscar and US Men were non-factors in Sochi.
    During NBC's GP coverage they typically did show D/W when they were competing but not much else Dance and US Pairs need to get better if they expect Natl TV coverage.

    Baseball season starts soon, NCAA March Madness is coming, MLS is starting a new season, NBA and NHL are still going.
    If NBC thought there was enough interest in US figure skaters they would show more of Worlds.

    There is always the internet which is a lot better than nothing.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^ basically sums it up. Apart from D/W, the US skaters underwhelmed...A LOT.

  12. #12
    what a glorious day!
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Age
    67
    Posts
    1,628
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1567
    NBC puts a lot of time and effort into the buildup to the Olympics and the event itself (to a greater or lesser extent). The network seems to drop its interest once the Olympics are completed. If I remember correctly, they did not air 2010 Worlds either. They may have aired the competition on a channel I do not have access to like Universal, but not on NBC. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    404
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
    NBC puts a lot of time and effort into the buildup to the Olympics and the event itself (to a greater or lesser extent). The network seems to drop its interest once the Olympics are completed. If I remember correctly, they did not air 2010 Worlds either. They may have aired the competition on a channel I do not have access to like Universal, but not on NBC. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.
    Well, they do air the entire Grand Prix season on weekends. And they aired 4CC, though some time after it took place (to build excitement for the Olympics, I guess). And of course Nationals, after which a YouTube of Jason Brown's FS went viral.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    D/W just won USA's first ever OGM in Ice Dancing. (snip) During NBC's GP coverage they typically did show D/W when they were competing but not much else Dance and US Pairs need to get better if they expect Natl TV coverage.
    They only showed them during one of their GP events, and we didn't see the event- just their skate. (They also showed V/M once- that was it during the GP events)

    NBC doesn't care about dance. I think they see it during the Olympics like curling. If the USA were winning Gold in that, we'd see it during the Olympics, then never again.

  15. #15
    Satisfied skating fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Looking for a pairs team to split up
    Posts
    40,214
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    42549
    NBC is showing worlds on universal sports. They're just doing a consolodated version on the non cable network. The top six of ladies and men I suspect.

  16. #16
    aka IceSkate98
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the Twilight Zone
    Posts
    6,992
    vCash
    12630
    Rep Power
    90752
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I'd give anything for the days of ABC WWOS...I'd sell my body.
    I'm with you on that! I miss the good ole days of coverage on ABC.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't even think the US skaters' results have that much to with it. In 1994 there was so much interest in skating that watching Surya battle Yuka Sato got prime time coverage. I think the need for USA skaters to be individual stars is symptomatic of how blah skating appears to the American public. They can't relate to it as entertainment as easily as they once did. Some of this is the scoring system, but some is also the craptastically un-imaginative broadcasting production in age of audience segmentation and unlimited channels.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,980
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    NBC is awful. I watched NBC's coverage of the closing ceremonies a couple weeks ago, and they cut out a significant portion of the event.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yeah NBC does not have very talented producers. Why did they have Hammond primetime instead of Terry Gannon or even awful Andrea Joyce? The professionals make all the difference for the lay audience. Scott and Sandra seemed heavily censored and unprepared to narrate a coherent story line.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,131
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    813
    Weak TV coverage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •