Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Question Is a post-Olympic worlds really worthwhile?

Jack Gallagher of the Japan Times asks Christine Brennan and Phil Hersh is his latest opinion column: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2...s-a-qualifier/
    Excerpt:
    Ice Time believes that the ISU has two legitimate options going forward with the world championships held in an Olympic year:

1) Not hold it at all.

2) Stage it before the Olympics and make it a qualifier for the grander event.

It would seem to me that the second option would be the better one. There will be those who say: “You can’t do that because . . . ” But that is nonsense.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I say, just get rid of the Olympics!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Or, building on BR's theme, remove FS completely from the Olympics. That way I get a double fix -- a World FS Championship featuring the best skaters in all disciplines and and Olympics with all those others sports.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    I think it is too close.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I say, just get rid of the Olympics!
    I second that... With crooked judging and fake gold medals given out.. Get rid of the Olympics!

vCash
    I like post-Oly Worlds, but I focus more on the brand new "up-and-comers", instead of the more established "stars". In '94, for example, we didn't get to see Nancy and Oksana dueling it out again, but we did get to see a large number of future world and Oly medalists. I think it rather idiotic to see the post-Oly Worlds as a "re-do" of the Olys.

vCash
    Sorry, I don't follow all sports. Are there really other sports that skip WC events in Oly years?

With all skating done indoors now, there is no reason to stick to a winter schedule. Worlds could be in April. Heck, worlds could be in July! There's no reason to cancel because it's "too soon".

It also bugs me when haters dismiss post oly worlds as "lesser". Get over it. It's a chance to see other skaters and if you don't believe that all 24 skaters who qualify are worthy of watching and/or medaling, than you are no fan of the sport. Plus, by this logic, almost every WC who won in the first year after an Olys in the history of the sport is bogus, which is bs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    I second that... With crooked judging and fake gold medals given out.. Get rid of the Olympics!
    Are you saying only Olympic medals are disputed?
    And that all judging at Worlds is always fair with no politics involved?

vCash
    It does set "parameters" for the next Quad; or provide a chance of "redemption" for competitors who had a disappointing Olympics.

vCash
    I really like the post-Olys Worlds, because we get to see the teams who might dominate the next four years, step up.

If they were to move Worlds before the Olys, they'd need to reschedule about a million events. When, for example, would they hold US (and other) Nationals? Especially, in the US, working it around major US football playoff games, etc. They might need to back up the entire Grand Prix season, or cut a GP event, and even then, US Nationals might conflict with the football playoffs, meaning it may not be broadcast, meaning lower revenues, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Sorry, I don't follow all sports. Are there really other sports that skip WC events in Oly years?
    Yes - gymnastics.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Oy.

Ice Time believes that the ISU has two legitimate options going forward with the world championships held in an Olympic year:

1) Not hold it at all.

2) Stage it before the Olympics and make it a qualifier for the grander event.

It would seem to me that the second option would be the better one. There will be those who say: “You can’t do that because . . . ” But that is nonsense.
    I almost didn't read the article because of this quote. I hate opinion pieces that are all about asserting that the author's opinion is the only right one and that any disagreement is not "legitimate" or is "nonsense." You lost me right there, Mr. Gallagher. Just make your case, don't insult the rest of us.

He does acknowledge that moving Worlds to before Olympics would mean restructuring the rest of the season. What he doesn't acknowledge is that the kind of restructuring necessary would affect several thousands of skaters and officials around the world, not just two hundred or so skaters+officials who participate in the Olympics. It's not a trivial suggestion, so therefore objections on that basis are not nonsense.

Another alternative that would work better for the skating community would be to move the Olympics to March so Worlds could be in February. But that wouldn't work out weatherwise for the majority of winter Olympic sports. I don't know if Gallagher even considered and then rejected this option. But it's more proof that changing the schedule does require considering the needs of other athletes outside the top figure skaters in the world.

Another option might be canceling Europeans and Four Continents, instead of canceling Worlds, and moving Worlds to late January. But then it would be even closer in time to the Olympics.

Phil Hersh says: "“Under the 6.0 system, it just re-crowned the Olympic champion (if they competed, which most did, knowing it was another certain title),” he said.
    Oh, there were certainly times under 6.0 when Olympic champions went to Worlds and failed to win. Or chose not to go, whether for fear of not winning or other reasons. It's not an IJS phenomenon.

Hersh makes no secret of his feelings on the post-Olympic worlds.

“Dump it,” he states. “Make Olympic results determine places for the subsequent worlds.”
    So how would that affect federations whose top skaters aren't citizens and can't compete at Olympics?

Or whose national Olympic committees have much stricter standards than their skating federations and refuse to send skaters to the Olympics even though they qualified a spot?

Or federations who didn't earn an Olympic spot at last year's Worlds/fall qualifier, and have an up-and-comer who is capable of placing in the top 10 this year?

Basically this is two journalists (Gallagher and Hersh) feeling that post-Olympic worlds are anticlimactic for them and for some other spectators, so the whole thing should be scrapped so they don't have to experience an anticlimactic event. Never mind that it serves other purposes for other spectators let alone for the federations and skaters who do participate.
    Last edited by gkelly; 03-18-2014 at 03:00 PM.

vCash
    Without the post-Olympic Worlds, some skaters' careers would have formed a little different picture. For example..
    Witt would have been (a 4 times WC →) a 2 times WC.
    Dai would have been a 0 time WC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crisp View Post
    Without the post-Olympic Worlds, some skaters' careers would have formed a little different picture. For example...

...Dai would have been a 0 time WC.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    In all seriousness, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I see Post-Olympic worlds as a necessary part of the figure skating schedule. Olympics is a stand alone event that we are stuck with. We can't do without a World championship for an entire year--its an integral part of the figure skating season. I've been anticipating Worlds since nationals. I'm having a hard time even getting what the argument against it is.

I guess you could hold it before the Olympics, but only if they are willing to move the Olympics to March.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crisp View Post
    Dai would have been a 0 time WC.
    Same for Pang/Tong, Kimmie Meissner, Yuka Sato, Victor Petrenko, Shiskova/Naumov, and Lobacheva/Averbukh.

And take 2 away from Yags. And one from a big list of people including Michelle, Irina, Mao, Stephane, Kristi, Elvis.....
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    This article is dumb. Let’s not hold worlds because I deserve to see the recently crowned Oly gold medalists. No world championships guarantee that the reigning Oly gold medalists are going to be there since they often retire. Why should the post-oly worlds have that particular guarantee?
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    It isn't an "afterthought" to the skaters who choose to compete.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    skaters dont compete that much in a season. giving up 1 event is a lot, for the skaters and the fans. it could be held later in the year like april, but i would hate to lose it.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Yes, the post Olympic Worlds is actually the most important event of the entire quadriennial. It proves which skater is truly the greatest due her extraordinary post-Olympic endurance, and sets the tone for the next four years.

Your Friend,
    Kimmie Meissner

vCash
    Just because Phil Hersh thinks something doesn't mean it's correct or the right thing to do. Just ask any skater who's ever medaled in postOly Worlds if it should be canceled. My guess is, no one says yes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast