Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Lovely interview with his typical anecdotes of humour, and the photos are gorgeous (thanks for posting the article Ajax).

One thing I adore about Mr. Button is his old-fashionedness, and I bet he is old school when it comes to talking about money, especially his own, which is a no-no when it comes to etiquette: "you don't talk about money and you certainly don't boast about your own wealth especially during a recession." It's considered crass, amongst other things.

I agree with him that Johnny Weir is the one most like him. I look forward to more of Johnny's commentary!

vCash
    Dick has fabulous taste in art. I wish we could see that portrait at the end of the hall better.

Dick has had several successful business ventures over the years. I'm guessing his contract with ABC was a nice one. I'm thinking his major source of income was here -

As founder of Candid Productions, he created a variety of made-for-television sports events, including the World Professional Figure Skating Championships, Challenge of Champions, Dorothy Hamill specials for HBO, and other non-skating sporting events like Superstars, Super Teams, Junior Superstars, Women's Superstars, and the popular Battle of the Network Stars.[5]

In 1999 he sold the company in and "all cash" transaction. Dick was always a smart businessman.

SFX Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: SFX) announced that it has acquired Candid Productions, Inc. in an all cash transaction. Candid Productions was owned and operated by Dick Button, who dominated the world of figure skating and went on to an Emmy winning career in sports commentary and as a producer of sports entertainment programs. SFX has entered into a multi-year employment contract with Mr. Button.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Has there ever been a more passionate figure skating fanatic?!?

vCash
    Never!
    He made it "appropriate" for us to join him, also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    And that's just his pied a terre! He also has a country home.
    I bet he bought his property decades ago, when the UES wasn't QUITE so expensive (it was expensive, but not crazy-crazy expensive). His work over the years in production and TV is enough to make him rich, I'm sure, and he probably also made some good investments, which is how many people with a good cushion of money go from being well-off to being very wealthy.
    THIS!

Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Has there ever been a more passionate figure skating fanatic?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Never!
    He made it "appropriate" for us to join him, also.

^^ Yep, Dick made fs shine for all us hooked newbies back in the day.

There was never enough events or enough coverage ... Come to think of it, that scenario has kinda come full circle today, in the U.S. at least, despite all the online alternatives. IMHO, the sport itself is still somewhat stuck in the dark ages re its full possibilities and lack of realization of its great potential. I sure miss Dick's enthusiasm and his knowledge. Maybe he will write another book.

ETA:

Thanks Zemgirl for that quite interesting article link about Peggy Mann and her husband who were urban revival pioneers whose heirs are now selling their parents 1960s renovated $18,000 brownstone for $5 million. During the 1970s, banks started stocking up on abandoned Harlem brownstones, which of course now sell for at least over a million or more these days.

Has Dick Button won more than one Emmy? When did he win?
    Last edited by aftershocks; 03-11-2014 at 05:27 PM.

vCash
    Aww love Dick Button. Glad it seems like he's been financially successful (I'm sure by 14-room apartment they're counting living rm, dining rm, den etc. into that figure, but still, esp. for a pied de terre - GO Dick!).

Sad that NBC didn't ask him to be involved in Sochi. I can understand their bringing on fresh blood like Tara, Johnny and Tanith, but frankly I'd much rather listen to/watch a less-COP-knowledgeable Mr. Button than the just-as-COP-unaware but also flat Scott and Sandra.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteorlight View Post
    Aww love Dick Button. Glad it seems like he's been financially successful (I'm sure by 14-room apartment they're counting living rm, dining rm, den etc. into that figure, but still, esp. for a pied de terre - GO Dick!).

Sad that NBC didn't ask him to be involved in Sochi. I can understand their bringing on fresh blood like Tara, Johnny and Tanith, but frankly I'd much rather listen to/watch a less-COP-knowledgeable Mr. Button than the just-as-COP-unaware but also flat Scott and Sandra.
    Are we sure they didn't ask him? Maybe he, like Mr. Nicks, didn't want to travel that far anymore.

vCash
    That apartment is gorgeous! I bet it could almost rival almost any collection for skating art.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteorlight View Post

NO. His Torino 2006 commentary was bitter and irrelevant. He retired at the right time.

vCash
    ^^^
    That is your opinion.
    Not everyone agrees with you.

vCash
    I agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    NO. His Torino 2006 commentary was bitter and irrelevant. He retired at the right time.
    It felt like Dick was reduced to a minor role by NBC in order not to step over Sandra and Scott, and Dick didn't gel with them at all. The networks need to bring back together Gannon and Button and then maybe throw in Fleming or Boitano.

vCash
    I doubt that Dick appreciated being "pushed out"/marginalized; and rightly so!

vCash
    ITA, skatesindreams!

vCash
    that was funny but oh so true lol!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12