Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    3,302
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Interview with Dick Button and pictures of his amazing apartment and skating art!

    I did a quick check but this doesn't seem to have been posted: A New York Times interview, post-Sochi, with Dick Button. The interview itself is extremely short but the accompanying pictures are incredible. I did not know that he had a giant (14 room!!!!) apartment on the Upper East Side which seems beautiful. And I looooove all the skating art shown.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/27/ga...ne-figure.html

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    SW Ontario
    Posts
    1,739
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32549
    Thanks!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    getting ready to explore the world
    Posts
    3,004
    vCash
    806
    Rep Power
    11737
    Thank you for sharing this! He is so fun, and I'm in awe of all the artwork. It's like a museum.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    3,302
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    It's like a museum.
    The hallway looks seriously like it belongs in the Louvre or something.

  5. #5
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,454
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    "Sassy jackets!" Even at HIMSELF...I love Uncle Dick. So glad I got his autograph (and Tenley's!) at SCOB once.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,493
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    2110
    Great article. Thanks!

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,331
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Wow! Thanks for posting that short, sweet and sassy article, Ajax! The accompanying photos are simply marvelous, and Dick Button is quite remarkable, funny, witty, a genius, a walking skating and cultural history encyclopedia, a serious collector of superbly wonderful art and artifacts. Would be so very cool and inspiring to attend a gathering in his spectacular abode! Well, I can dream, can't I? To meet Dick up close and personal again, and to see up close that historic bronze statue of Gustave Lussi ... indeed a dream!

    Right on Mr. Button, re your Q&A with the NYT writer.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Olympik Voids!
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,998
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I was a skater with a lot of hair who too frequently wore sassy jackets.
    he's the best.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    227
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    637
    Er...I want to know if commentating really pays that well, or if he had family money. A 14-room Upper East Side apartment!! Dick, please marry me!!
    Nadya

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,101
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadya View Post
    Dick, please marry me!!
    No offense Nadya, but I think I'd have a better shot at Dick than you would.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,331
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Nadya, I don't know that much about his family background, but I believe Dick had a fairly well-to-do upbringing and he attended private school ... he also graduated from Harvard. Dick Button is not just a former skating commentator. He is a savvy businessman and a producer of many skating events. It was Dick who was instrumental in getting ABC to become involved with increased figure skating coverage back in the day.

    Whether or not his family had a lot of money, Dick has been savvy at parlaying his Olympic successes and his passion for figure skating into lucrative enterprises, but most of all into a great education for several generations of skating fans.

    And after all, Dick is 84 years old, with years of rich cultural life experiences behind him. So its not unusual for him to have accumulated nice things, and to have a beautiful upper East-Side apartment.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,315
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Nadya, I don't know that much about his family background, but I believe Dick had a fairly well-to-do upbringing and he attended private school ... he also graduated from Harvard. Dick Button is not just a former skating commentator. He is a savvy businessman and a producer of many skating events. It was Dick who was instrumental in getting ABC to become involved with increased figure skating coverage back in the day.

    Whether or not his family had a lot of money, Dick has been savvy at parlaying his Olympic successes and his passion for figure skating into lucrative enterprises, but most of all into a great education for several generations of skating fans.

    And after all, Dick is 84 years old, with years of rich cultural life experiences behind him. So its not unusual for him to have accumulated nice things, and to have a beautiful upper East-Side apartment.
    I don't know. A 1 bedroom UES apartment could easily go for over a 1 million. And 14???

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    404
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I don't know. A 1 bedroom UES apartment could easily go for over a 1 million. And 14???
    And that's just his pied a terre! He also has a country home.
    I bet he bought his property decades ago, when the UES wasn't QUITE so expensive (it was expensive, but not crazy-crazy expensive). His work over the years in production and TV is enough to make him rich, I'm sure, and he probably also made some good investments, which is how many people with a good cushion of money go from being well-off to being very wealthy.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,490
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41754
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    And that's just his pied a terre! He also has a country home.
    I bet he bought his property decades ago, when the UES wasn't QUITE so expensive (it was expensive, but not crazy-crazy expensive). His work over the years in production and TV is enough to make him rich, I'm sure, and he probably also made some good investments, which is how many people with a good cushion of money go from being well-off to being very wealthy.
    I believe that your analysis is accurate.
    I'm glad that DB is able to enjoy the fruits of a lifetime of work,

  15. #15
    Tranquillo
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    behind the gruppetto
    Posts
    24,958
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35429
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Nadya, I don't know that much about his family background, but I believe Dick had a fairly well-to-do upbringing and he attended private school ... he also graduated from Harvard. Dick Button is not just a former skating commentator. He is a savvy businessman and a producer of many skating events. It was Dick who was instrumental in getting ABC to become involved with increased figure skating coverage back in the day.
    Not just Harvard, but also Harvard Law School. Dick is also involved with a number of charities and you'll frequently see his name high on the donor list for skating related charities including the Memorial Fund.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

  16. #16
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,105
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33052
    Nice place, Mr. Button!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    near Chicago
    Posts
    2,039
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    No offense Nadya, but I think I'd have a better shot at Dick than you would.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    240
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The second photo is truly beautiful.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Turzynbaeva is the new Gedevanishvili
    Posts
    8,468
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I would love a mug of ale, some fine cheese, and a tour.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,718
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    And after all, Dick is 84 years old, with years of rich cultural life experiences behind him. So its not unusual for him to have accumulated nice things, and to have a beautiful upper East-Side apartment.
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I don't know. A 1 bedroom UES apartment could easily go for over a 1 million. And 14???
    I doubt Dick paid as little for his place as this couple did, but even adjusting for inflation, I imagine it cost a lot less when he bought it than it would now. And regardless, I'm sure that he's financially comfortable considering his background, fame, and years of hard work.

    The artwork is cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •