Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Interview with Dick Button and pictures of his amazing apartment and skating art!

I did a quick check but this doesn't seem to have been posted: A New York Times interview, post-Sochi, with Dick Button. The interview itself is extremely short but the accompanying pictures are incredible. I did not know that he had a giant (14 room!!!!) apartment on the Upper East Side which seems beautiful. And I looooove all the skating art shown.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/27/ga...ne-figure.html

vCash
    Thanks!

vCash
    Thank you for sharing this! He is so fun, and I'm in awe of all the artwork. It's like a museum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    It's like a museum.
    The hallway looks seriously like it belongs in the Louvre or something.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    "Sassy jackets!" Even at HIMSELF...I love Uncle Dick. So glad I got his autograph (and Tenley's!) at SCOB once.

vCash
    Great article. Thanks!

vCash
    Wow! Thanks for posting that short, sweet and sassy article, Ajax! The accompanying photos are simply marvelous, and Dick Button is quite remarkable, funny, witty, a genius, a walking skating and cultural history encyclopedia, a serious collector of superbly wonderful art and artifacts. Would be so very cool and inspiring to attend a gathering in his spectacular abode! Well, I can dream, can't I? To meet Dick up close and personal again, and to see up close that historic bronze statue of Gustave Lussi ... indeed a dream!

Right on Mr. Button, re your Q&A with the NYT writer.

vCash
    I was a skater with a lot of hair who too frequently wore sassy jackets.
    he's the best.

vCash
    Er...I want to know if commentating really pays that well, or if he had family money. A 14-room Upper East Side apartment!! Dick, please marry me!!
    Nadya

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadya View Post
    Dick, please marry me!!
    No offense Nadya, but I think I'd have a better shot at Dick than you would.

vCash
    Nadya, I don't know that much about his family background, but I believe Dick had a fairly well-to-do upbringing and he attended private school ... he also graduated from Harvard. Dick Button is not just a former skating commentator. He is a savvy businessman and a producer of many skating events. It was Dick who was instrumental in getting ABC to become involved with increased figure skating coverage back in the day.

Whether or not his family had a lot of money, Dick has been savvy at parlaying his Olympic successes and his passion for figure skating into lucrative enterprises, but most of all into a great education for several generations of skating fans.

And after all, Dick is 84 years old, with years of rich cultural life experiences behind him. So its not unusual for him to have accumulated nice things, and to have a beautiful upper East-Side apartment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Nadya, I don't know that much about his family background, but I believe Dick had a fairly well-to-do upbringing and he attended private school ... he also graduated from Harvard. Dick Button is not just a former skating commentator. He is a savvy businessman and a producer of many skating events. It was Dick who was instrumental in getting ABC to become involved with increased figure skating coverage back in the day.

Whether or not his family had a lot of money, Dick has been savvy at parlaying his Olympic successes and his passion for figure skating into lucrative enterprises, but most of all into a great education for several generations of skating fans.

And after all, Dick is 84 years old, with years of rich cultural life experiences behind him. So its not unusual for him to have accumulated nice things, and to have a beautiful upper East-Side apartment.
    I don't know. A 1 bedroom UES apartment could easily go for over a 1 million. And 14???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I don't know. A 1 bedroom UES apartment could easily go for over a 1 million. And 14???
    And that's just his pied a terre! He also has a country home.
    I bet he bought his property decades ago, when the UES wasn't QUITE so expensive (it was expensive, but not crazy-crazy expensive). His work over the years in production and TV is enough to make him rich, I'm sure, and he probably also made some good investments, which is how many people with a good cushion of money go from being well-off to being very wealthy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    And that's just his pied a terre! He also has a country home.
    I bet he bought his property decades ago, when the UES wasn't QUITE so expensive (it was expensive, but not crazy-crazy expensive). His work over the years in production and TV is enough to make him rich, I'm sure, and he probably also made some good investments, which is how many people with a good cushion of money go from being well-off to being very wealthy.
    I believe that your analysis is accurate.
    I'm glad that DB is able to enjoy the fruits of a lifetime of work,

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Not just Harvard, but also Harvard Law School. Dick is also involved with a number of charities and you'll frequently see his name high on the donor list for skating related charities including the Memorial Fund.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Nice place, Mr. Button!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    No offense Nadya, but I think I'd have a better shot at Dick than you would.

vCash
    The second photo is truly beautiful.

vCash
    I would love a mug of ale, some fine cheese, and a tour.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I doubt Dick paid as little for his place as this couple did, but even adjusting for inflation, I imagine it cost a lot less when he bought it than it would now. And regardless, I'm sure that he's financially comfortable considering his background, fame, and years of hard work.

The artwork is cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast