Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    From what I've been reading, the experts say that something drastic and fast must have occurred, not giving the pilots time to send a distress signal, which means an explosion or another event leading to a midair disintegration. This of course assumes that the pilots were not suicidal. In most other scenarios, there would have been sufficient time to send a distress call. In similar situations it took weeks if not months to find evidence of the wreckage.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    As things stand, it's estimated that on average, at least one person travels on a stolen passport on every flight in Asia. It's not surprising there were 4-5 of them on one flight booked on consecutive tickets - smuggling is just one criminal activity that operates that way.
    Where do you get this from? Link please.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    It sounds like a dumb question, but is there the remotest possibility that the plane has landed (probably by force) somewhere intact? I would think that an aircraft of this size could only safely land on a runway in an airport or an airfield or something like that, and if that's what has happened, the authorities would be aware of it by now. Or could the plane have landed on some remote swathe of land, so remote that all communication and attempts at signaling would be impossible?

I guess that I'm just hoping against hope that everyone on board is safe somewhere, and that it's just really hard for the rest of the world to be aware of it right now.
    I don't think that's a dumb question. I think it's hopeful. This news story was just on at my Mom's place and when it ended, I asked her, "is it naïve for me to hope that the plane was hijacked and it landed somewhere remote and everyone is still alive"?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    That would be a miracle but is there a way to turn off ALL tracking devices on a plane? I would think that it is impossible to do that and the planes are created like that on purpose. Besides, why hijack a plane and kidnap all people on board only to keep it a secret all this time. They would want something by now.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    ...As things stand, it's estimated that on average, at least one person travels on a stolen passport on every flight in Asia. It's not surprising there were 4-5 of them on one flight booked on consecutive tickets - smuggling is just one criminal activity that operates that way...
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    Where do you get this from? Link please.
    Very interesting piece on the Australian show 7.30 Report last night (here is the link - don't know if it's geoblocked: http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/

An aviation lawyer, Mary Schiavo, stated travelling on stolen/fake passports was not an uncommon occurrence. She gave an example of an Air India crash in 2010 where authorities have determined that between ten and 13 (authorities still to determine final numbers) passengers of the 158 on board were travelling on stolen/fake passports!

vCash
    As far as I know you can turn off a transponder but a plane can't disappear from radar at 35,000 ft unless something really catastrophic happens to the structure. Even if it is hijacked. Flights that plunged into the ocean, and that's as rapid a descent as you can think of, were still visible on radar at least some of the way down (e.g. EgyptAir 990).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenEvans View Post
    Very interesting piece on the Australian show 7.30 Report last night (here is the link - don't know if it's geoblocked: http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/

An aviation lawyer, Mary Schiavo, stated travelling on stolen/fake passports was not an uncommon occurrence. She gave an example of an Air India crash in 2010 where authorities have determined that between ten and 13 (authorities still to determine final numbers) passengers of the 158 on board were travelling on stolen/fake passports!
    Thank you for that link. It was not Geo-blocked

I'm still not sure where the "on average, at least one person travels on a stolen passport on every flight in Asia" comes from though. That sounds like a huge number... Thousands of people everyday travelling on fake/stolen passports...

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    This is an informative Q&A, nothing has been ruled out. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/11/wo...ght-mh370.html
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I don't think that's a dumb question. I think it's hopeful. This news story was just on at my Mom's place and when it ended, I asked her, "is it naïve for me to hope that the plane was hijacked and it landed somewhere remote and everyone is still alive"?
    If it had been hijacked, there would have been a ransom demand by now. I'd be 99% sure at this stage that all the people on board are dead. Just hope they find some wreckage of the plane to give the families of the victims some sort of closure.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    Thank you for that link. It was not Geo-blocked

I'm still not sure where the "on average, at least one person travels on a stolen passport on every flight in Asia" comes from though. That sounds like a huge number... Thousands of people everyday travelling on fake/stolen passports...
    It came from a news report on the same channel as that show...but since you put it that way, I don't think it can be right either! Perhaps it was every international, long haul flight through Asia. That would put it at dozens rather than thousands, which seems more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    If it had been hijacked, there would have been a ransom demand by now. I'd be 99% sure at this stage that all the people on board are dead. Just hope they find some wreckage of the plane to give the families of the victims some sort of closure.
    I agree There was no distress signal from the Air France crash in 2010 either, and when they finally found the black box they realised that there was catastrophic error from disoriented pilots who didn't realise until too late that they were going down. That crash was in the middle of the night in bad weather. This disappearance was also in the middle of the night, but there's been no talk of bad weather.

The problem with every scenario is that there's something about it that doesn't make sense.

1 - Terror. Could be, but since it could be written off as an accident which defeats the purpose, why not claim it? They'd have to be comfortingly dumb terrorists.
    2 - Mid-air disintegration - explains the lack of distress call but not the lack of wreckage. They're more likely to find it if it disintegrated because there'd be little bits over a wide area.
    3 - Crash into the sea whole - lack of distress call or evidence of a plane in the ocean
    4 - Intentional ditching by the pilots into the sea...not unheard of but still...where is the plane?!!! They would have found some wreckage by now!

In other news, media is now claiming that two people on fake passports were Iranians heading to Europe for a new life. Granted this was on news.com.au which I trust about as much as the Daily Mail, but it's plausible. If true, their only crime was fleeing persecution. Terribly sad way for things to end, if so.

I really hope they find out something soon. I knew someone who died in a very similar accident, and while a body was never found, enough wreckage was recovered for his family to be in no doubt as to what happened. Not knowing must be making an already horrible situation so much worse for those people
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I thought I had read that a mid air disintegration meant the plane would be a lot harder to find. I know that in my mind it seems it would be easier because surely some larger pieces would remain and they would be spread out over a large area. I would think that the plane staying mostly intact and then sinking would make it very difficult to find as that would be a very small area to narrow down and then it could be very far under water.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    The BBC is reporting that military radar suggests the plane turned west, away from its flight plan, before it disappeared. This widens the area they need to search in.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    This is an informative Q&A, nothing has been ruled out. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/11/wo...ght-mh370.html
    Very interesting read - thanks for sharing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    It sounds like a dumb question, but is there the remotest possibility that the plane has landed (probably by force) somewhere intact? I would think that an aircraft of this size could only safely land on a runway in an airport or an airfield or something like that, and if that's what has happened, the authorities would be aware of it by now. Or could the plane have landed on some remote swathe of land, so remote that all communication and attempts at signaling would be impossible?

I guess that I'm just hoping against hope that everyone on board is safe somewhere, and that it's just really hard for the rest of the world to be aware of it right now.
    I remember having similar thoughts after the Challenger disaster, even though we all saw the thing blow up. (Well, I was only ten . . . ) It's hard not to feel a little bit of stubborn, irrational hope before you find out what happened.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am Russian, I don't have any hope.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    The two guys with the stolen passports have been identified. Both seem to have been seeking asylum, and not involved in terrorism:
    http://gma.yahoo.com/mh370-passenger...opstories.html
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    That makes sense as a reason to steal a passport It's really sad that there is almost no legal way for most people to seek asylum anymore. Airlines will not transport people seeking asylum because they are liable for costs of returning them to their country if it is not granted; so to fly, you pretty much have to break the law. I actually just read an article about that: http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/002111.html

vCash
    Honestly, based on the photos of the two men who were traveling on fake passports, I think that they were gay and fleeing to be able to live safe lives. Just my two cents.

I do hope that terrorism was not a factor. It really doesn't make sense to me. What would the purpose be? Normally acts of terrorism are to make a point about something. There seems to be the lack of a point in this case.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    According to the CNN news flash I just got, the last contact with the plane actually had it going in the opposite direction of its destination and on the other side of the Malay peninsula: hundreds of miles from where they were conducting the original search. There is something very strange going on the Malay government's release of information. This was commented on by one of the investigative reporters on GMA this morning that they aren't being very forthcoming about information which is raising a lot of additional questions.

vCash
    I was hoping that Patrick Smith of Ask the Pilot would post something about this story, and as always he's worth reading. He mentions reports that the plane was tracked for 500 miles after the transponder was turned off, and not in the direction it was supposed to be going in, and notes that if this is true:
    I hate to say it, and to violate my own anti-speculation rule, but it’s looking more and more like something very strange, and possibly nefarious, is behind the disappearance. A hijacking, perhaps, that ultimately ended in disaster somewhere in the South China Sea.
    Maybe this will end up being a case of moronic hijackers like the ones on Ethiopian 961. That flight famously ended up in the water off the coast of Grande Comore, though I doubt Malaysia 370 managed anything similar.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast