Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 375
  1. #261
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,464
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    (I don't trust physics)
    ?!

  2. #262
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    ?!
    Yeah, I just don't. Flying terrifies me. So do those bobsled roller coasters where the ride car isn't held to the track by any means.

  3. #263
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,464
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Yeah, I just don't. Flying terrifies me. So do those bobsled roller coasters where the ride car isn't held to the track by any means.
    I can understand being scared of it. But I cannot understand 'not trusting physics.'

  4. #264
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I can understand being scared of it. But I cannot understand 'not trusting physics.'
    If you fully trust the physics behind it, what's to be scared of?

  5. #265

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,874
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    89820
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    If you fully trust the physics behind it, what's to be scared of?
    That the person responsible for implementing the physics made a mistake.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

  6. #266
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oz, of course
    Posts
    11,361
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    If you fully trust the physics behind it, what's to be scared of?
    Emotions aren't always rational. That's what makes us human.

  7. #267
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in my head
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,718
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I just had a thought - imagine that some terror group has hijacked the plane and landed it somewhere, and are keeping the passengers and crew as prisoners. Could be that the pilots were in on it, keeping everybody calm and away from their mobile phones by giving some bullshit explanation as to why they had to turn and land elsewhere. The terror group keeps the plane and the prisoners quietly hidden away for some time, and then they load the plane with people, take off, and aim it at their target of choice. Imagine the absolute uproar if the nation under threat decided to shoot the plane down...

  8. #268

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,277
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    41317
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    I just had a thought - imagine that some terror group has hijacked the plane and landed it somewhere, and are keeping the passengers and crew as prisoners. Could be that the pilots were in on it, keeping everybody calm and away from their mobile phones by giving some bullshit explanation as to why they had to turn and land elsewhere. The terror group keeps the plane and the prisoners quietly hidden away for some time, and then they load the plane with people, take off, and aim it at their target of choice. Imagine the absolute uproar if the nation under threat decided to shoot the plane down...
    In this day and age...SOMEONE would have made a call. It's hard enough to get some people to pull their heads out of their as$es these days long enough to remind them that the rules about no cellphones apply to THEM too, so I can't imagine that ONE PERSON wouldn't have made a call, sent a text, tweet, facebook post, something.

  9. #269
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,464
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    If you fully trust the physics behind it, what's to be scared of?
    But fear isn't always a rational feeling.

  10. #270
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    But fear isn't always a rational feeling.
    Well, when gravity stops working, don't say I didn't warn you.

    (Glad you recognize fear is not rational- because clearly "not trusting physics" is irrational.)

  11. #271

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34207
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    In this day and age...SOMEONE would have made a call. It's hard enough to get some people to pull their heads out of their as$es these days long enough to remind them that the rules about no cellphones apply to THEM too, so I can't imagine that ONE PERSON wouldn't have made a call, sent a text, tweet, facebook post, something.
    This is my thinking. The odds that someone would not have sent out a text or made a call seem slim. Even if the pilots kept the passengers calm by claiming they were simply heading back because of weather or what not, someone would likely have been suspicious. And when they exit the plane, how do they get 200+ people to all hand over their phones at the same time without one of them realizing something isn't right and using it quickly. I just can't see this happening.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  12. #272
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,464
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Well, when gravity stops working, don't say I didn't warn you.

    (Glad you recognize fear is not rational- because clearly "not trusting physics" is irrational.)
    How can gravity stop working?

    Not trusting physics isn't rational, no. I can understand dwelling on the possibility of human error but I am struggling to comprehend this.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-19-2014 at 09:52 PM.

  13. #273

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,618
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    C. S. Lewis has a good quote about this, in a passage about faith and reason -- I was just reading it the other day. Here it is:

    ". . . My reason is perfectly convinced by good evidence that anaesthetics do not smother me and that properly trained surgeons do not start operating until I am unconscious. But that does not alter the fact that when they have me down on the table and clap their horrible mask over my face, a mere childish panic begins inside me. I start thinking I am going to choke, and I am afraid they will start cutting me up before I am properly under. In other words, I lose my faith in anaesthetics. It is not reason that is taking away my faith: on the contrary, my faith is based on reason. It is my imagination and emotions. The battle is between faith and reason on one side and emotion and imagination on the other."
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

  14. #274
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    How can gravity stop working?

    Not trusting physics isn't rational, no. I can understand dwelling on the possibility of human error but I am struggling to comprehend this.
    Has it occurred to you that it is a joking way to describe my fear of flying?

    Gravity is a theory. Maybe one day it will be disproved and we will all be dislodged from Earth, no longer confined to such a theory.

  15. #275
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,120
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34026
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    C. S. Lewis has a good quote about this, in a passage about faith and reason -- I was just reading it the other day. Here it is:

    ". . . My reason is perfectly convinced by good evidence that anaesthetics do not smother me and that properly trained surgeons do not start operating until I am unconscious. But that does not alter the fact that when they have me down on the table and clap their horrible mask over my face, a mere childish panic begins inside me. I start thinking I am going to choke, and I am afraid they will start cutting me up before I am properly under. In other words, I lose my faith in anaesthetics. It is not reason that is taking away my faith: on the contrary, my faith is based on reason. It is my imagination and emotions. The battle is between faith and reason on one side and emotion and imagination on the other."

    All he needed was something to help him relax IV in the pre-op.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  16. #276
    Title-less
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,768
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6417
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Has it occurred to you that it is a joking way to describe my fear of flying?

    Gravity is a theory. Maybe one day it will be disproved and we will all be dislodged from Earth, no longer confined to such a theory.
    I sometimes fear height and I totally get the "not trusting physics" bit. Like when I go on a rollercoaster or an airplane, I know
    physics supports it but I still worry about "how come I'm not falling to earth".

  17. #277
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3,213
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Twitter:

    Christopher Hayes ‏@chrislhayes 46m
    This is the most compelling hypothesis for flight MH #370. Or at least, to me, the clearest way to think about it: http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-a-zombie.html

  18. #278
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    657
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Has it occurred to you that it is a joking way to describe my fear of flying?

    Gravity is a theory. Maybe one day it will be disproved and we will all be dislodged from Earth, no longer confined to such a theory.
    That's the first time I've heard anyone say that in regards to gravity...

  19. #279
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    1,215
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    CNN now reporting that there is credible information that objects from the plane have been found in the Indian Ocean (Australian news agencies). Hope this isn't a false alarm...

  20. #280

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,104
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    466
    I'm seeing that story, too, and our local news reported it as well. Possible objects seen on satellite, something like that.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •