vCash

Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya recent interviews

Adelina Sotnikova: To become a champion, you have to work hard and be patient

http://www.nashagazeta.ch/news/sport2/17278

Q: Have you already realized that you won the Olympic Games, that your name is written into the history of figure skating?

A: Not at all. I am the same as I was before, only now there is much more attention. Of course, it is pleasant, but very tiring: all these years of preparation to the Olympics were less tiring than the first days after I won.

Q: You're only 17, you already have the medal that is the most desirable for all athletes. Your dream came true. Is there anything left to achieve?

A: Not all the dreams came true. I want to win World championships, European championships, Grand Prix. I won't stop before I got all these titles. I need the full collection (laughs).

Q: Why do you, personally, want that?

A: I got the taste of winning: once you start, it's hard to stop. Everybody likes winning! The best feeling is when you're struggling with yourself and you win.

Q: What is the most important in this struggle?

A: In competition, it's important to block your mind, not think, forget everything and just do your job.

Q: Is there anything that is the hardest? Get up in the mornings, for example?

A: No, it's not even up for discussion. Training process is everyday work. So far, I do everything right and strictly by the clock.

Q: You said that there is more attention after the Olympics. You are now considered one of the symbols of Russian sport, it's main hope. Your image is being broadcasted by the media, and people don't see the real person who trains every day. How do you feel about it?

A: Yes, there is that. I am okay with it. It's pleasant anyway, I am glad that my success can inspire someone. I don't even have time to think about it: I'm practicing every day or competing.

Q: They are going to name a skating school after you. You name is about to became a brand. Do you have a say in it?

A: I know about this proposal, but I have nothing to do with it. I don't mind. I think it's cool. Let it be. It means that more children will be skating.

Q: Let's talk about you: what kind of music you prefer?

A: I like all kinds of music. Lately I've been listening only to the Russian music.

Q: Do you choose the music for your programs?

A: It's a very long and complicated process. My coach and I listen to million tracks, choose ten. Then we go over them again and together we make a decision.

Q: You listen to the same music over and over again when you're putting the program together. Doesn't it happen that you're already sick of it by the time competitions start?

A: No, we always choose the music I really like. I always want to skate to it.

Q: Your programs are always to classical music: Bizet, Rumsky-Korsakov, Saint-Saens, Straus. Is it a conscious decision?

A: It happens so that this music really suits me. It's called classical for a reason, it is pleasant to skate to. I didn't have time to listen to something new, I came to Switzerland for shows (Art on Ice) immediately after the Olympics.

Q: What's the difference between performing in shows and competing?

A: It's completely different. It's very calm: you skate for your pleasure, even if you fall it's no big matter. And the audience is very welcoming.

Q: Does it interrupt the training process?

A: When the season is halfway through, you can do some shows. Why not? I try new elements here anyway, train certain jump combinations. It's also a part of the process.

Q: You had no free time before Olympics, do you have now?

A: No, I still don't.

Q: Imagine you're told: "Adelina, you have three days off. Do whatever you want." What are you going to do?

A: Go to the seaside. But I think I would start exercising on the second day anyway. I still have to get back to the same rutine after.

Q: How do you rest?

A: Sleep.

Q: Main question from all the young skaters and their parents: what does it take to become an Olympic champion?

A: A lot of work. You have to understand that it is pain, tears, nerves, fatigue. Not everyone can deal with it. Sometimes you come home after the practice and just pour all your emotions out on your family. Not every parent can tolerate that. To became a champion, you have to work hard and be patient.

Q: Were there moments when you wanted to quit?

A: Many times.

Q: What stopped you?

A: My parents always supported me. They told me that they are going to love me even if I quit sport. They love me unconditionally. Then something clicked in my head, and I realized that I cannot let them down. No one forced me, I always wanted to skate. Oh yes, and to win, you have to really love what you do.

Julia Lipnitskaya interview in Russian: http://www.m24.ru/videos/44074

Julia says that there is a lot of attention, people recognize her and go "Aww!" wherever she goes, that she got over 300,000 followers after the Olympics. Says she runs for 45 minutes after ice practice. Listens to Eminem, but her English is very limited and she doesn't always understand the lyrics. Likes the film The Intouchables and jokes that maybe will use the music for her next program. Says she could do splits for as long as she can remember, was predicted to have problems with flexibility by the age 14, but still can do everything she used to do before. Says her next goal is the World championships, but they are taught not to think too far ahead.

Recent photoshoot: http://instagram.com/sunnylipnitskaya
    Last edited by quiqie; 03-08-2014 at 04:08 PM.

vCash
    Thank you for the interview and translation. Sotnikova seems like an incredibly mature and motivated person.

As for Lipnitskaya--the contrast between her sweet, child-like appearance and her character (self-driven girl who listens to Eminem and whose favorite food is steak!) is very appealing.
    Last edited by altai_rose; 03-08-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Entre el mundo del patinaje y el mundo real
    vCash
    Thank you Adelina and Julia

YEAH!
    vCash
    Thanks so much - I ran out of rep for you!

Sotnikova really has a great head on her shoulders. Very nice. Lipnitskaya's photos are gorgeous, especially this one http://instagram.com/p/lPxm_IkLX6/

vCash
    Thanks a lot quiqie

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    Listens to Eminem, but her English is very limited and she doesn't always understand the lyrics.
    I haven't kept up with Eminem over the years, but if his lyrics now are anything like his lyrics way back when, perhaps that's just as well!

Likes the film The Intouchables and jokes that maybe will use the music for her next program.
    An Untouchables program by Julia . . . well, she's already followed in Paul Wylie's footsteps once, maybe she could make it work again!

That photoshoot is SO cute!

Adelina sounds like a strong and smart girl. I hope she gets her chance to go to the seaside soon!

Thanks, quique!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I haven't kept up with Eminem over the years, but if his lyrics now are anything like his lyrics way back when, perhaps that's just as well!

An Untouchables program by Julia . . . well, she's already followed in Paul Wylie's footsteps once, maybe she could make it work again!
    Actually, the interviewer says something similar: if you don't understand the words, how do you know, maybe he's saying something bad to you as you listen, and Julia answers: well, I usually sing along, so I say that right back to him.

As for Untouchables, she is talking not about this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094226/, but about this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1675434/

vCash
    Thanks for the interviews. They both are such motivated, talented, hard working young ladies! I hope their dreams will come true.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Actually, the interviewer says something similar: if you don't understand the words, how do you know, maybe he's saying something bad to you as you listen, and Julia answers: well, I usually sing along, so I say that right back to him.

That's the Lipniskaia I remember from GPF in Quebec City: she tried to take out cygnus with Shelepen in tow so that she didn't have to walk up another row to pass through to another section.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash

I really enjoyed these interviews -- thanks for sharing them.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Julia skated in Ilya Averbukh's show in Krasnodar yesterday: http://www.livekuban.ru/node/543096

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNuc28GjWQE
    Last edited by quiqie; 03-10-2014 at 11:35 AM.

vCash
    As for Untouchables, she is talking not about this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094226/, but about this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1675434/
    Oh! Never heard of that one.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    It's actually very good

vCash
    I am surprised people having watched such an awesome movie