Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    i used to go twice a week back in my college days..now these old bones can only handle once a week. at 26 you're still a young whipper snapper so skate as often as you can!

vCash
    My skating really varies… A couple of years ago I was skating 3-4 times a week, and taking lessons. Now I'm aiming for once a week

Skating is always there though.

vCash
    Thanks for all your input guys! Debbie & Skittl, I especially appreciate hearing that skating in classes with the kids is fine - I will definitely consider it in the future. I've been to a few public sessions with my fiance for fun and they definitely seemed too crowded to practice much, but I'm hoping I can find a quiet time or it slows down as spring approaches.

It does seem like the class I'm in is a bit more dance oriented, but I we'll see since it just started! For now, I think i'll stick with my one class and explore the publics and freestyles available at my local rinks. I suppose in a few weeks if I feel like I need more instruction, I could always try out a private lesson or two and see how I like it! or they have a deal for a second session of the same group class for only about $20 more, so maybe I can get in that if I can sort out my work schedule. Woohoo! i feel much more organized now lol.

vCash
    I started out the same way. I aim to practice 45 mins M/W/F and 3 hours Tu/Th. I have three 30 min lessons per week, moves, dance, free skating. I do one off ice class at the rink that focuses on jump technique. I do my own workouts at home, mostly walking/running (often with my dog!), yoga, Pilates, some ballet barre inspired DVDs, and Jillian Michaels DVDs. That would be in a perfect world anyway. I get lazy and usually only do half of this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnabun View Post
    I get lazy and usually only do half of this.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Synnabun, I'm pretty sure half of that is still pretty good hahaha!!

vCash
    I try to skate 5 times a week for one hour session, but that doesn't always happen. Have a half hour freestyle lesson on Saturday mornings & then I try to get Pilates done about 3 times a week, too. That last part would be easier if my cat didn't think alternating ab crunches are *the* perfect (and only!) time to come sniffing around for affection.

vCash
    I wish I could get in more practice time, but there isn't enough time. I work a full time job, then work part time at the rink. I try to practice 3 times a week, but half the time it ends up being twice. That doesn't include the skating while working as a rink guard 3 times a week. While guarding I work on posture and on not looking down while I skate. If the work session is lightly populated, I can do edge exercises and cross strokes as I go forward around the ice, but if it's crowded I have to keep both feet on the ice to keep from getting knocked down. I get free ice time so it's a shame I don't have time to fully take advantage of it.

vCash
    When I started skating again at 26, I practiced 2x a week. But when I got more serious about passing levels and getting jumps back into shape, I was doing an hour of private lesson, and 1-2 hours of practice 4-5 times per week. Then I got pregnant. haha! Now, balancing the full-time job, a contract job, a new writing career, and being a single mom to a toddler, I go once a week for my lesson and a few minutes of practice. Sometimes I steal another 20 minutes or so to practice after I teach learn to skate class.

Bottom line -- use the time while you've got it! I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to skate with me...I think that's when I'll finally get the opportunity to resume a regular practice schedule again. Right now, I'm just trying to maintain my skills.

ETA: Definitely don't be shy about taking lessons with the little kids! I LOVE when there's an adult or a teenager in my usually-kid-populated learn to skate class.

vCash
    Treesprite, at the very least, posture work is good, yes? Hehe. Bummer though

Morgail, thanks for the encouragement! I may go that route but I do really like the adult class I'm in. Man, I don't know how you manage that - I work full time and sometimes I just am too exhausted to do anything besides eat/sleep/watch tv lol. I'm definitely trying to figure out appropriate practice times but I don't know if I can go on freestyles and the crowded publics freak me out lol

vCash
    Almost 6 to 7 times a week, but only two or three "serious" figure skating sessions.

The other sessions are public skating, just to work on edges, turns and balance. I find the public sessions good for just getting my feel back on the skates (and breaking in a new pair). Fortunately lots of public rinks here.

I save the expensive club session ice for jumps and spins, things that are banned on the public sessions.

vCash
    Freestyle is allowed here on publics. There are private freestyle lessons going on in most public sessions even when the rink is packed. The biggest part of guarding is keeping the other skaters from cutting through the center of the ice, and when people cut through the coaches give us a scolding for not keeping them out.

vCash
    I'm trying to do 40-minute public sessions twice a week. (The public sessions I go to are quiet weekday sessions, usually only 10-20 people on the ice, and you can practice freestyle elements.) This week, I managed 3 sessions for the first time.

It's tough because I can only skate during the 4 mornings a week my daughters are in preschool. And I have to take care of other things, too, during that time, like doctor's appts, school-related stuff, household stuff, sometimes errands. Not to mention school vacations, snow days, teacher development days, etc., keep interrupting!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    I'm trying to do 40-minute public sessions twice a week. (The public sessions I go to are quiet weekday sessions, usually only 10-20 people on the ice, and you can practice freestyle elements.) This week, I managed 3 sessions for the first time.

It's tough because I can only skate during the 4 mornings a week my daughters are in preschool. And I have to take care of other things, too, during that time, like doctor's appts, school-related stuff, household stuff, sometimes errands. Not to mention school vacations, snow days, teacher development days, etc., keep interrupting!
    If only life wouldn't get in the way, right? The last two weeks or so, I've only been able to get to my lesson and that is sad! And it isn't as if I didn't have the time to get to a public here or there - i just feel exhausted! So i applaud all of you with families to take care of!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12